A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore. -- Yogi Berra

sport / rec.autos.sport.f1 / Were Jackie Stewart/Jim Clark etc "British" when they won but Scottish when they lost?

SubjectAuthor
* Were Jackie Stewart/Jim Clark etc "British" when they won butMr Gobrien
`- Re: Were Jackie Stewart/Jim Clark etc "British" when they won but Scottish when Martin Harran

1
Were Jackie Stewart/Jim Clark etc "British" when they won but Scottish when they lost?

<1b8ec1e2-3e0f-469e-9f7f-9edf1ccb3c75n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=17751&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#17751

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 14:15:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Were Jackie Stewart/Jim Clark etc "British" when they won but
Scottish when they lost?
From: mr_gobr...@yahoo.co.uk (Mr Gobrien)
 by: Mr Gobrien - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 21:15 UTC

Were Jackie Stewart/Jim Clark etc "British" when they won but "Scottish" when they lost?

It seems that the issue generally (about Andy Murray etc) is now actually disputed and said to be a media myth by many - but does anyone have the original media reports about Clark and Stewart (and Coulthard) etc that show the pattern or not?

e.g. I do know that Stewart lost the 1972 world title at the Italian GP (I think he had to beat Emerson Fittipaldi to keep his title hopes alive but he stalled on the grid and was out of it and Fittipaldi then won the race as well).

Re: Were Jackie Stewart/Jim Clark etc "British" when they won but Scottish when they lost?

<pcloahh0gb15au7d1f7stctu1fjocl65t4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=17765&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#17765

From: martinha...@gmail.com (Martin Harran)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: Re: Were Jackie Stewart/Jim Clark etc "British" when they won but Scottish when they lost?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 11:24:58 +0100
 by: Martin Harran - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 10:24 UTC

On Thu, 16 Jun 2022 14:15:51 -0700 (PDT), Mr Gobrien
<mr_gobrien@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Were Jackie Stewart/Jim Clark etc "British" when they won but "Scottish" when they lost?
>
>It seems that the issue generally (about Andy Murray etc) is now actually disputed and said to be a media myth by many - but does anyone have the original media reports about Clark and Stewart (and Coulthard) etc that show the pattern or not?

The British media have form on this. I remember when Stephen Roche
(Irish) won the Tour de France, some of the British media made no
reference to him being Irish and claimed him as 'the first native-born
English speaker to win the Tour de France.' :)