It gets late early out there. -- Yogi Berra

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: ESPN.com: Former Chargers coach Riley among 4 initial HC hires in revived USFL

SubjectAuthor
* ESPN.com: Former Chargers coach Riley among 4 initial HC hires inphlash74
`* Re: ESPN.com: Former Chargers coach Riley among 4 initial HC hires inRobin Miller
 `* Re: ESPN.com: Former Chargers coach Riley among 4 initial HC hires inphlash74
  `- Re: ESPN.com: Former Chargers coach Riley among 4 initial HC hires inRobin Miller

1
ESPN.com: Former Chargers coach Riley among 4 initial HC hires in revived USFL

<d7208e5e-f246-4716-bbb5-c209dd0b348dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1788&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1788

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 17:22:48 -0800 (PST)
Subject: ESPN.com: Former Chargers coach Riley among 4 initial HC hires in
revived USFL
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 01:22 UTC

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33008421/todd-haley-kevin-sumlin-mike-riley-bart-andrus-named-head-coaches-usfl

Todd Haley, Kevin Sumlin, Mike Riley, Bart Andrus named head coaches in USFL
2:11 PM PT
ESPN News Services

The USFL on Thursday announced the hiring of its first four head coaches -- Todd Haley, Kevin Sumlin, Mike Riley and Bart Andrus -- with play scheduled to start this spring.

The league will have eight teams, with 10-game regular-season schedules running from April 16 through mid-June, it said.

"Today is a monumental day for the new USFL as we hit the 100 days to kickoff mark," USFL president Brian Woods said in a statement. "To attract Mike Riley and Todd Haley, two former NFL head coaches, Bart Andrus, a former head coach in NFL Europe and CFL, plus an experienced college head coach in Kevin Sumlin, to the USFL, speaks to the quality of the league we're building.

"They all share our belief in high-quality spring football, and we're honored to have them lead their respective teams this year. We can't wait to hit the field!"

Haley, a former NFL head coach with the Kansas City Chiefs, will coach the Tampa Bay Bandits. He went 19-26 with the Chiefs from 2009 to 2011. He since has served as offensive coordinator with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Cleveland Browns, where he was fired in 2018.

Sumlin will return to Houston to coach the USFL's Gamblers. The former University of Houston coach also had stops at Texas A&M and Arizona.

Riley, the former head coach of the Chargers from 1999 to 2001, has been hired by the New Jersey Generals. Riley has had coaching stops at Oregon State and Nebraska in addition to professional jobs with the AAF and XFL.

Andrus, who coached in the CFL (Toronto), UFL (Omaha) and NFL Europe (Amsterdam), will lead the Philadelphia Stars.

The league said the remaining four head coaches -- for the Michigan Panthers, Pittsburgh Maulers, Birmingham Stallions and New Orleans Breakers -- would be announced at a later date.

The USFL was launched in 1983 but crumbled after three seasons because of out-of-control spending and an ill-conceived push led by Donald Trump, then-owner of the Generals, to compete directly against the NFL with a fall season.

In the end, the USFL's most enduring legacy was the $3 judgment it "won" in an antitrust suit against the NFL, a ruling that finished off the league in 1986 before it carried out the Trump-backed move from spring to fall.

The league begins April 16, with Fox Sports, which has a minority equity stake in the company that owns the new USFL, and NBC serving as the league's official broadcast partners.

A player selection meeting will be held Feb. 22-23, and training camps will open March 21. Each team will have a 38-player roster and a seven-member practice squad.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Re: ESPN.com: Former Chargers coach Riley among 4 initial HC hires in revived USFL

<j3r6b7Fcq92U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1789&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1789

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
revived USFL
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 10:59:26 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 15:59 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33008421/todd-haley-kevin-sumlin-mike-riley-bart-andrus-named-head-coaches-usfl
>
> Todd Haley, Kevin Sumlin, Mike Riley, Bart Andrus named head coaches in USFL
> 2:11 PM PT
> ESPN News Services
>
> The USFL on Thursday announced the hiring of its first four head coaches -- Todd Haley, Kevin Sumlin, Mike Riley and Bart Andrus -- with play scheduled to start this spring.
>
> The league will have eight teams, with 10-game regular-season schedules running from April 16 through mid-June, it said.
>
> "Today is a monumental day for the new USFL as we hit the 100 days to kickoff mark," USFL president Brian Woods said in a statement. "To attract Mike Riley and Todd Haley, two former NFL head coaches, Bart Andrus, a former head coach in NFL Europe and CFL, plus an experienced college head coach in Kevin Sumlin, to the USFL, speaks to the quality of the league we're building.
>
> "They all share our belief in high-quality spring football, and we're honored to have them lead their respective teams this year. We can't wait to hit the field!"
>
> Haley, a former NFL head coach with the Kansas City Chiefs, will coach the Tampa Bay Bandits. He went 19-26 with the Chiefs from 2009 to 2011. He since has served as offensive coordinator with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Cleveland Browns, where he was fired in 2018.
>
> Sumlin will return to Houston to coach the USFL's Gamblers. The former University of Houston coach also had stops at Texas A&M and Arizona.
>
> Riley, the former head coach of the Chargers from 1999 to 2001, has been hired by the New Jersey Generals. Riley has had coaching stops at Oregon State and Nebraska in addition to professional jobs with the AAF and XFL.
>
> Andrus, who coached in the CFL (Toronto), UFL (Omaha) and NFL Europe (Amsterdam), will lead the Philadelphia Stars.
>
> The league said the remaining four head coaches -- for the Michigan Panthers, Pittsburgh Maulers, Birmingham Stallions and New Orleans Breakers -- would be announced at a later date.
>
> The USFL was launched in 1983 but crumbled after three seasons because of out-of-control spending and an ill-conceived push led by Donald Trump, then-owner of the Generals, to compete directly against the NFL with a fall season.
>
> In the end, the USFL's most enduring legacy was the $3 judgment it "won" in an antitrust suit against the NFL, a ruling that finished off the league in 1986 before it carried out the Trump-backed move from spring to fall.
>
> The league begins April 16, with Fox Sports, which has a minority equity stake in the company that owns the new USFL, and NBC serving as the league's official broadcast partners.
>
> A player selection meeting will be held Feb. 22-23, and training camps will open March 21. Each team will have a 38-player roster and a seven-member practice squad.
>
> The Associated Press contributed to this report.

People keep trying to create a sustainable minor league. I thought the
XFL was done after ending operations in 2020, but Wiki says they are
going to try to come back in 2023:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFL_(2020)

--Robin

Re: ESPN.com: Former Chargers coach Riley among 4 initial HC hires in revived USFL

<6673d369-7344-4fae-b03a-7ab894c91918n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1791&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1791

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 11:32:05 -0800 (PST)
revived USFL
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 19:32 UTC

On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 7:59:38 AM UTC-8, Robin Miller wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > In the end, the USFL's most enduring legacy was the $3 judgment it "won" in an antitrust suit against the NFL, a ruling that finished off the league in 1986 before it carried out the Trump-backed move from spring to fall.
> >
> > The league begins April 16, with Fox Sports, which has a minority equity stake in the company that owns the new USFL, and NBC serving as the league's official broadcast partners.
> >
> > A player selection meeting will be held Feb. 22-23, and training camps will open March 21. Each team will have a 38-player roster and a seven-member practice squad.
> >
> > The Associated Press contributed to this report.
> >
> People keep trying to create a sustainable minor league. I thought the
> XFL was done after ending operations in 2020, but Wiki says they are

Yeah, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson bought the rights to the XFL name from Vince McMahon. The original USFL actually got some traction because they were willing to spend the money to acquire some NFL players and more importantly big name college players like Jim Kelly and Herschel Walker. Unless a spring league is able to have some really wealthy owners willing to lose money for a while in order to do that, they will almost certainly follow the same trajectory as the original and rebooted XFL as well as the AAF, a week or two of strong TV ratings/attendance to start as people check it out, followed by plummeting numbers and a league unlikely to start a second season.

Michael

Re: ESPN.com: Former Chargers coach Riley among 4 initial HC hires in revived USFL

<j3sbmcFjk79U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1793&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1793

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
revived USFL
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 21:36:50 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 02:36 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> [...]
>> XFL was done after ending operations in 2020, but Wiki says they are
>> going to try to come back in 2023:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFL_(2020)
>>
>> --Robin
>
> Yeah, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson bought the rights to the XFL name from Vince McMahon. The original USFL actually got some traction because they were willing to spend the money to acquire some NFL players and more importantly big name college players like Jim Kelly and Herschel Walker. Unless a spring league is able to have some really wealthy owners willing to lose money for a while in order to do that, they will almost certainly follow the same trajectory as the original and rebooted XFL as well as the AAF, a week or two of strong TV ratings/attendance to start as people check it out, followed by plummeting numbers and a league unlikely to start a second season.

Right, the original USFL was the one league that seemed to have a
chance. I didn't realize until now that there was a new USFL, although
it claims no connection to the original:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Football_League_(2022)

--Robin

--Robin