From 0 to "what seems to be the problem officer" in 8.3 seconds. -- Ad for the new VW Corrado

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Coaching

SubjectAuthor
* CoachingReneG
`- Re: Coachingphlash74

1
Coaching

<6ab8a15d-f1f1-4909-aa9d-9229d0421140n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1803&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1803

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 23:53:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Coaching
From: reneg1...@gmail.com (ReneG)
 by: ReneG - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 07:53 UTC

Coaching cost us at least 2 games this season. Going on 4th down deep in Charger territory was a huge mistake. Calling a time out at the end of OT cost the Chargers a playoff spot. I'm sure the Raiders were happy to rush down the middle one last time and let the clock die but calling the time out forced their hand.

I understand coach wants to be innovative and do things differently, but he needs to pick his spots. It's gotten old.

Re: Coaching

<4609e92e-f227-46d2-a206-62440f21c142n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1806&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1806

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 07:44:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Coaching
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:44 UTC

On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 11:53:07 PM UTC-8, ReneG wrote:
> Coaching cost us at least 2 games this season. Going on 4th down deep in Charger territory was a huge mistake. Calling a time out at the end of OT cost the Chargers a playoff spot. I'm sure the Raiders were happy to rush down the middle one last time and let the clock die but calling the time out forced their hand.
>
> I understand coach wants to be innovative and do things differently, but he needs to pick his spots. It's gotten old.

I agree the 4th and 1 inside their own 20 was a mistake, they were only down 3 at that point. Wonder if he would have gone for it had Hopkins not missed the field goal to tie it on the previous drive.

About the timeout in OT, the Raiders were already on the outside of Carlson's range (career long 56) and running the ball once and kicking a long field goal was a low risk high reward play (the Raiders would get to play Cincinnati instead of KC with a win rather than a tie and the Chargers would have no incentive to score a TD even if they blocked the field goal so the chances of Vegas getting knocked out were basically zero at that point). If the Raiders were planning all along to settle for the tie, they wouldn't have thrown the ball to start that drive.

What cost the Chargers a playoff spot were the constant penalties to keep Raiders drives alive, none worse than the 40 yard pass interference on Harris that set up the TD before halftime, on a pass that Carr was throwing away..

On the positive side, Herbert was amazing in the 4th quarter and OT. A stat I heard this morning is that NFL teams were 20 for 85 this season in converting 4th and 9 or longer - five of those were by the Chargers last night on their last three possessions (5-5).

Michael