It gets late early out there. -- Yogi Berra

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / ESPN.com: Sources - Chicago Bears set to trade Khalil Mack to Los Angeles Chargers

SubjectAuthor
* ESPN.com: Sources - Chicago Bears set to trade Khalil Mack to Losphlash74
`* Re: ESPN.com: Sources - Chicago Bears set to trade Khalil Mack to Los Angeles ChEddie Grove
 `* Re: ESPN.com: Sources - Chicago Bears set to trade Khalil Mack to Losphlash74
  `- Re: ESPN.com: Sources - Chicago Bears set to trade Khalil Mack to LosRobin Miller

1
ESPN.com: Sources - Chicago Bears set to trade Khalil Mack to Los Angeles Chargers

<45c33855-f50a-4f1d-9be1-b4d2bba2fc07n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1915&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1915

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 15:31:00 -0800 (PST)
Subject: ESPN.com: Sources - Chicago Bears set to trade Khalil Mack to Los
Angeles Chargers
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 23:31 UTC

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33471001/sources-chicago-bears-set-trade-khalil-mack-los-angeles-chargers

Sources: Chicago Bears set to trade Khalil Mack to Los Angeles Chargers
1:54 PM PT
ESPN

The Chicago Bears are finalizing a trade that will send six-time Pro Bowl defensive end Khalil Mack to the Los Angeles Chargers, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Thursday.

The Chargers are expected to send a 2022 second-round draft pick and a 2023 sixth-rounder to the Bears in return for the 31-year-old Mack, a source said.

The deal marks the first major move for new Bears general manager Ryan Poles, who was hired in January.

Mack arrived in Chicago via a blockbuster trade with the Raiders in 2018. That first season, he finished with 12.5 sacks and in second place in the AP Defensive Player of the Year vote. It was the only double-digit-sack season he had in Chicago; he had six in 2021, but they came in seven games, as he had season-ending foot surgery in November.

The Chargers were in need of help along the defensive line. They finished 30th in rushing defense in 2021, allowing 138.9 yards per game, and allowed the highest conversion rate on third down in the NFL (69%).

Offenses Beware

Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa would be a formidable 1-2 punch in Los Angeles, and it couldn't come at a more perfect time with Russell Wilson now joining Patrick Mahomes and Derek Carr in the loaded AFC West.

MACK BOSA
Sacks 46.5 47.5
NFL rank 10thT-6th
QB pressures221 207
NFL rank 3rd T-4th
-- Last five seasons

Now, Mack will join four-time Pro Bowler Joey Bosa in what will be a fierce combination in Los Angeles. Over the past five seasons, Mack and Bosa both rank top four in total defensive pressures. They both have exactly 12 strip sacks over the past five seasons, too, which is tied for sixth in the NFL..

Their presence will come at the perfect time for Los Angeles, with Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson and Derek Carr all opposing quarterbacks in a loaded AFC West.

Mack has three more seasons remaining on his contract and is owed $17.75 million in 2022, $22.9 million in '23 and $23.25 million in '24.

The Chargers will take on his full contract, a source told Schefter.

Re: ESPN.com: Sources - Chicago Bears set to trade Khalil Mack to Los Angeles Chargers

<877d91uyd7.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1916&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1916

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: ESPN.com: Sources - Chicago Bears set to trade Khalil Mack to Los Angeles Chargers
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 16:27:48 -0800
 by: Eddie Grove - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 00:27 UTC

phlash74 <phlash74@msn.com> writes:

> https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33471001/sources-chicago-bears-set-trade-khalil-mack-los-angeles-chargers
>
> Sources: Chicago Bears set to trade Khalil Mack to Los Angeles Chargers
> 1:54 PM PT
> ESPN
>

> Mack has three more seasons remaining on his contract and is owed $17.75 million in 2022, $22.9 million in '23 and $23.25 million in '24.
>
> The Chargers will take on his full contract, a source told Schefter.

The devil is in the details. It appears there is nothing guaranteed,
except there are $5.5M triggers the third day of each year so if they
decide to cut him before any year it would need to be done right away.

His current contract has an APY of $23.5M so the Bears are essentially
subsidizing the Chargers to the tune of $6.6M in total (or $2.2M/yr)
compared to the APY, if my arithmetic is correct. Numbers based on what
I saw at overthecap.

The Bears have used his contract to finagle the cap, and appear to have
$24M in prepayments to amortize as dead cap hits over the next 1 or 2
years. IMO they would have been much better off not to have spent the
$24M on whatever they got for it. Sure they might have lost another game
or two, but they'd have the $24M to spend now or in the future.

Re: ESPN.com: Sources - Chicago Bears set to trade Khalil Mack to Los Angeles Chargers

<c799a536-125f-45c0-b397-b46156b98a9cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1917&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1917

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 16:58:28 -0800 (PST)
Angeles Chargers
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 00:58 UTC

On Thursday, March 10, 2022 at 4:27:51 PM UTC-8, Eddie Grove wrote:
> phlash74 <phla...@msn.com> writes:
>
> > https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33471001/sources-chicago-bears-set-trade-khalil-mack-los-angeles-chargers
> >
> > Sources: Chicago Bears set to trade Khalil Mack to Los Angeles Chargers
> > 1:54 PM PT
> > ESPN
> >
> > Mack has three more seasons remaining on his contract and is owed $17.75 million in 2022, $22.9 million in '23 and $23.25 million in '24.
> >
> > The Chargers will take on his full contract, a source told Schefter.
> The devil is in the details. It appears there is nothing guaranteed,
> except there are $5.5M triggers the third day of each year so if they
> decide to cut him before any year it would need to be done right away.
>
> His current contract has an APY of $23.5M so the Bears are essentially
> subsidizing the Chargers to the tune of $6.6M in total (or $2.2M/yr)
> compared to the APY, if my arithmetic is correct. Numbers based on what
> I saw at overthecap.
>
> The Bears have used his contract to finagle the cap, and appear to have
> $24M in prepayments to amortize as dead cap hits over the next 1 or 2
> years. IMO they would have been much better off not to have spent the
> $24M on whatever they got for it. Sure they might have lost another game
> or two, but they'd have the $24M to spend now or in the future.

Not gonna lie, that incredibly detailed explanation flew right over my head, but thank you anyways. I'm a dunce when it comes to the mechanics of the salary cap lol.

Seems like Telesco is making moves to maximize the Chargers' window while Herbert is still on his rookie deal. A lot of the mock drafts I've seen so far have the Chargers taking Georgia DT Jordan Davis at #17, the guy who is 6'6" and 340 pounds yet ran a 4.78 40 at the combine.

Michael

Re: ESPN.com: Sources - Chicago Bears set to trade Khalil Mack to Los Angeles Chargers

<j8vud4Ff9u3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1918&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1918

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Angeles Chargers
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 22:35:57 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 03:35 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> On Thursday, March 10, 2022 at 4:27:51 PM UTC-8, Eddie Grove wrote:
>> phlash74 <phla...@msn.com> writes:
>>
>>> https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33471001/sources-chicago-bears-set-trade-khalil-mack-los-angeles-chargers
>>>
>>> Sources: Chicago Bears set to trade Khalil Mack to Los Angeles Chargers
>>> 1:54 PM PT
>>> ESPN
>>>
>>> Mack has three more seasons remaining on his contract and is owed $17.75 million in 2022, $22.9 million in '23 and $23.25 million in '24.
>>>
>>> The Chargers will take on his full contract, a source told Schefter.
>> The devil is in the details. It appears there is nothing guaranteed,
>> except there are $5.5M triggers the third day of each year so if they
>> decide to cut him before any year it would need to be done right away.
>>
>> His current contract has an APY of $23.5M so the Bears are essentially
>> subsidizing the Chargers to the tune of $6.6M in total (or $2.2M/yr)
>> compared to the APY, if my arithmetic is correct. Numbers based on what
>> I saw at overthecap.
>>
>> The Bears have used his contract to finagle the cap, and appear to have
>> $24M in prepayments to amortize as dead cap hits over the next 1 or 2
>> years. IMO they would have been much better off not to have spent the
>> $24M on whatever they got for it. Sure they might have lost another game
>> or two, but they'd have the $24M to spend now or in the future.
>

> Not gonna lie, that incredibly detailed explanation flew right over my head, but thank you anyways. I'm a dunce when it comes to the mechanics of the salary cap lol.
>
> Seems like Telesco is making moves to maximize the Chargers' window while Herbert is still on his rookie deal. A lot of the mock drafts I've seen so far have the Chargers taking Georgia DT Jordan Davis at #17, the guy who is 6'6" and 340 pounds yet ran a 4.78 40 at the combine.
>
> Michael

The upshot of Eddie's post is that, while the Chargers take on Mack's
salary for the next three seasons, they don't take on $24M that the
Bears are stuck with, probably for a signing bonus that, for cap
purposes, is prorated over the length of the contract even though it's
all paid up front.

Per Daniel Popper of The Athletic, the Chargers now have about $13M in
cap space to spend, assuming they keep about $7M free for in-season
moves. But they can free up almost $11M by cutting Bulaga, which they
will almost definitely do.

--Robin