So I'm ugly. So what? I never saw anyone hit with his face. -- Yogi Berra

sport / rec.autos.sport.f1 / Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

SubjectAuthor
* F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown oa425couple
+* Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A fullPhil Carmody
|`* Re: F1 drivers? height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 gridMartin Harran
| +* Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundownPhil Carmody
| |`* Re: F1 drivers? height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 gridMartin Harran
| | `- Re: F1 drivers? height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 gridtexas gate
| `- Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundowntexas gate
`* Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundownbra
 +- Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundowntexas gate
 +* Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full runAlan
 |`- Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundowntexas gate
 `* Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full run~misfit~
  `* Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full runkeithr0
   `* Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full runMark Jackson
    `* Re: F1 drivers’ height andSir Tim
     `* Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full runMark Jackson
      `* Re: F1 drivers’ height andSir Tim
       `- Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundownbra

1
F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<6NDrL.151327$iU59.49819@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19751&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19751

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: F1_drivers’_height_and_weight:_A_full_rundown_o
f_the_2023_grid
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 07:50:26 -0800
 by: a425couple - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 15:50 UTC

from
https://www.planetf1.com/features/f1-drivers-height-weight-2023/

F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid
Thomas Maher Thursday 29th December 2022 9:00 AM
The Formula 1 2022 drivers, pictured at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Yas
Marina, November 2022. F1 height

Here is each one of the 2023 Formula 1 drivers’ height and weight at the
beginning of the new season.

In Formula 1, even small details such as a driver’s height and weight
can be of utmost importance as it dictates how much ballast their car
needs, as well as how affecting how that ballast can be positioned.

In general, the shorter and smaller a driver is, the better it is for
the car designers to ensure an optimal package, even in terms of how the
airflow around and above their helmets can be directed.

Unsurprisingly, the driver’s weights are also maintained to a huge
degree throughout the season, as necessitated by the sport’s minimum
weight requirements for a suited and booted driver sitting in his car.

Who are the tallest Formula 1 drivers?
Two drivers share the honour of being Formula 1’s tallest, with Esteban
Ocon and Alex Albon both measuring up at 1.86 metres tall (6’2″).

This is just ahead of George Russell, who is 1.85 metres tall, and the
returning Nico Hulkenberg (1.84 metres).

Fresh-faced rookie Logan Sargeant is also at the tall end of the grid,
with the American coming in at 1.81 metres tall. Fellow rookie Oscar
Piastri is 1.78 metres tall.

Who is the shortest Formula 1 driver?
This is a title that one driver hasn’t had to share since arriving in
Formula 1 in 2021, and isn’t likely to be usurped any time soon.

Yuki Tsunoda is F1’s shortest driver, coming in at 1.59 metres tall – 27
centimetres shorter than the towering Ocon/Albon.

Rookie Nyck de Vries is the closest to seeing things eye-to-eye with
Tsunoda, with the Dutch driver stacking up at 1.67 metres tall.

2023 Formula 1 drivers’ height and weight
Fernando Alonso – 1.71m 68kg
Lewis Hamilton – 1.74m 73kg
Nico Hulkenberg – 1.84m 78kg
Valtteri Bottas – 1.73m 69kg
Sergio Perez – 1.73m 63kg
Kevin Magnussen – 1.74m 68kg
Carlos Sainz – 1.78m 66kg
Nyck de Vries – 1.67m 67kg
Pierre Gasly – 1.77m 70kg
Alex Albon – 1.86m 73kg
Esteban Ocon – 1.86m 66kg
Max Verstappen – 1.81m 72kg
Charles Leclerc – 1.80m 69kg
George Russell – 1.85m 70kg
Lance Stroll – 1.82m 70kg
Zhou Guanyu – 1.76m 63kg
Lando Norris – 1.70m 68kg
Yuki Tsunoda – 1.59m 54kg
Logan Sargeant – 1.81m 71kg
Oscar Piastri – 1.78m 68kg

Who are the heaviest and lightest F1 drivers?
Unsurprisingly, the tallest drivers also are amongst the heaviest – Alex
Albon, Nico Hulkenberg, Lewis Hamilton, and Max Verstappen are all over
70kg in weight. Esteban Ocon may be tall, but he’s very light, weighing
just 66kg.

Yuki Tsunoda, as the shortest driver, is significantly lighter than the
rest of his peers. The Japanese driver is just 54kg in weight (or
approximately nine stone).

Read More: F1 driver numbers: Which numbers will the 20 F1 drivers be
using in 2023?

Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<87edsb5fgs.fsf@zotaspaz.fatphil.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19759&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19759

From: pc+use...@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full
rundown of the 2023 grid
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 02:08:19 +0200
 by: Phil Carmody - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 00:08 UTC

a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> writes:
> 2023 Formula 1 drivers’ height and weight
> Who are the heaviest and lightest F1 drivers?
> Unsurprisingly, the tallest drivers also are amongst the heaviest –
> Alex Albon, Nico Hulkenberg, Lewis Hamilton, and Max Verstappen are
> all over 70kg in weight. Esteban Ocon may be tall, but he’s very
> light, weighing just 66kg.
>
> Yuki Tsunoda, as the shortest driver, is significantly lighter than
> the rest of his peers. The Japanese driver is just 54kg in weight (or
> approximately nine stone).

Which invites a calculation of their BMI!
(Using the original m/h^2 bollox which makes tall athletes appear like
chubbers - I can run it with a different exponent if people really GAF)

> Fernando Alonso – 1.71m 68kg 23.3
> Lewis Hamilton – 1.74m 73kg 24.1
> Nico Hulkenberg – 1.84m 78kg 23.0
> Valtteri Bottas – 1.73m 69kg 23.0
> Sergio Perez – 1.73m 63kg 21.0
> Kevin Magnussen – 1.74m 68kg 22.5
> Carlos Sainz – 1.78m 66kg 20.8
> Nyck de Vries – 1.67m 67kg 24.0
> Pierre Gasly – 1.77m 70kg 22.3
> Alex Albon – 1.86m 73kg 21.1
> Esteban Ocon – 1.86m 66kg 19.1
> Max Verstappen – 1.81m 72kg 22.0
> Charles Leclerc – 1.80m 69kg 21.3
> George Russell – 1.85m 70kg 20.5
> Lance Stroll – 1.82m 70kg 21.1
> Zhou Guanyu – 1.76m 63kg 20.3
> Lando Norris – 1.70m 68kg 23.5
> Yuki Tsunoda – 1.59m 54kg 21.4
> Logan Sargeant – 1.81m 71kg 21.7
> Oscar Piastri – 1.78m 68kg 21.5

Given that BMI penalises tall athletes, Esteban must be one skinny
chappy. And presumably, as he's is no giant and BMI penalises (by being
higher) the more muscular, Lewis is the most buff.

However, they're all so close I think this just proves they're all
just fit adult males.

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast

Re: F1 drivers? height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<oqdarh1i21s9j23ugqtf17s8h8njmkep64@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19761&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19761

From: martinha...@gmail.com (Martin Harran)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: Re: F1 drivers??? height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 08:23:13 +0000
 by: Martin Harran - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 08:23 UTC

On Wed, 04 Jan 2023 02:08:19 +0200, Phil Carmody <pc+usenet@asdf.org>
wrote:

>a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> writes:
>> 2023 Formula 1 drivers’ height and weight
>> Who are the heaviest and lightest F1 drivers?
>> Unsurprisingly, the tallest drivers also are amongst the heaviest –
>> Alex Albon, Nico Hulkenberg, Lewis Hamilton, and Max Verstappen are
>> all over 70kg in weight. Esteban Ocon may be tall, but he’s very
>> light, weighing just 66kg.
>>
>> Yuki Tsunoda, as the shortest driver, is significantly lighter than
>> the rest of his peers. The Japanese driver is just 54kg in weight (or
>> approximately nine stone).
>
>Which invites a calculation of their BMI!
>(Using the original m/h^2 bollox which makes tall athletes appear like
>chubbers - I can run it with a different exponent if people really GAF)
>
>> Fernando Alonso – 1.71m 68kg 23.3
>> Lewis Hamilton – 1.74m 73kg 24.1
>> Nico Hulkenberg – 1.84m 78kg 23.0
>> Valtteri Bottas – 1.73m 69kg 23.0
>> Sergio Perez – 1.73m 63kg 21.0
>> Kevin Magnussen – 1.74m 68kg 22.5
>> Carlos Sainz – 1.78m 66kg 20.8
>> Nyck de Vries – 1.67m 67kg 24.0
>> Pierre Gasly – 1.77m 70kg 22.3
>> Alex Albon – 1.86m 73kg 21.1
>> Esteban Ocon – 1.86m 66kg 19.1
>> Max Verstappen – 1.81m 72kg 22.0
>> Charles Leclerc – 1.80m 69kg 21.3
>> George Russell – 1.85m 70kg 20.5
>> Lance Stroll – 1.82m 70kg 21.1
>> Zhou Guanyu – 1.76m 63kg 20.3
>> Lando Norris – 1.70m 68kg 23.5
>> Yuki Tsunoda – 1.59m 54kg 21.4
>> Logan Sargeant – 1.81m 71kg 21.7
>> Oscar Piastri – 1.78m 68kg 21.5
>
>Given that BMI penalises tall athletes, Esteban must be one skinny
>chappy. And presumably, as he's is no giant and BMI penalises (by being
>higher) the more muscular, Lewis is the most buff.
>
>However, they're all so close I think this just proves they're all
>just fit adult males.

And not really much diifferent from women ;)

>Phil

Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<878rii6592.fsf@zotaspaz.fatphil.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19762&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19762

From: pc+use...@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown
of the 2023 grid
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 11:03:37 +0200
 by: Phil Carmody - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 09:03 UTC

Martin Harran <martinharran@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, 04 Jan 2023 02:08:19 +0200, Phil Carmody <pc+usenet@asdf.org>
> wrote:
>>> Fernando Alonso – 1.71m 68kg 23.3
>>> Lewis Hamilton – 1.74m 73kg 24.1
>>> Nico Hulkenberg – 1.84m 78kg 23.0
>>> Valtteri Bottas – 1.73m 69kg 23.0
>>> Sergio Perez – 1.73m 63kg 21.0
>>> Kevin Magnussen – 1.74m 68kg 22.5
>>> Carlos Sainz – 1.78m 66kg 20.8
>>> Nyck de Vries – 1.67m 67kg 24.0
>>> Pierre Gasly – 1.77m 70kg 22.3
>>> Alex Albon – 1.86m 73kg 21.1
>>> Esteban Ocon – 1.86m 66kg 19.1
>>> Max Verstappen – 1.81m 72kg 22.0
>>> Charles Leclerc – 1.80m 69kg 21.3
>>> George Russell – 1.85m 70kg 20.5
>>> Lance Stroll – 1.82m 70kg 21.1
>>> Zhou Guanyu – 1.76m 63kg 20.3
>>> Lando Norris – 1.70m 68kg 23.5
>>> Yuki Tsunoda – 1.59m 54kg 21.4
>>> Logan Sargeant – 1.81m 71kg 21.7
>>> Oscar Piastri – 1.78m 68kg 21.5
>>
>>Given that BMI penalises tall athletes, Esteban must be one skinny
>>chappy. And presumably, as he's is no giant and BMI penalises (by being
>>higher) the more muscular, Lewis is the most buff.
>>
>>However, they're all so close I think this just proves they're all
>>just fit adult males.
>
> And not really much diifferent from women ;)

I'm sure I could tell them apart in a dark nightclub, but point taken.
I'm sure Danica and Jamie would weigh in at about the same level.

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast
aside childish remnants from the dawn of our civilization.
-- NotSanguine on SoylentNews, after Eugen Weber in /The Western Tradition/

Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<09a154f4-1f78-4d79-baa1-1ce7071e0e96n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19764&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19764

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 05:07:59 -0800 (PST)
of_the_2023_grid
From: texasg...@gmail.com (texas gate)
 by: texas gate - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 13:07 UTC

On Wednesday, January 4, 2023 at 1:23:14 AM UTC-7, martin...@gmail.com wrote:

> And not really much diifferent from women ;)

get a life, troll

Re: F1 drivers? height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<o5mgrh5b29i39nt7l02qo986fq80pe5m2d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19775&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19775

From: martinha...@gmail.com (Martin Harran)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 17:23:12 +0000
 by: Martin Harran - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 17:23 UTC

On Wed, 04 Jan 2023 11:03:37 +0200, Phil Carmody <pc+usenet@asdf.org>
wrote:

>Martin Harran <martinharran@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>>Given that BMI penalises tall athletes, Esteban must be one skinny
>>>chappy. And presumably, as he's is no giant and BMI penalises (by being
>>>higher) the more muscular, Lewis is the most buff.
>>>
>>>However, they're all so close I think this just proves they're all
>>>just fit adult males.
>>
>> And not really much diifferent from women ;)
>
>I'm sure I could tell them apart in a dark nightclub, but point taken.
>I'm sure Danica and Jamie would weigh in at about the same level.

But not quite the same shape ;)

>Phil

Re: F1 drivers? height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<f939655c-ec6b-4f2f-974c-6da073101dfcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19776&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19776

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 23:11:53 -0800 (PST)
From: texasg...@gmail.com (texas gate)
 by: texas gate - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 07:11 UTC

On Friday, January 6, 2023 at 10:23:15 AM UTC-7, martin...@gmail.com wrote:

> But not quite the same shape ;)

yes, very small
like your skull

Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<bd781ed1-8941-44bc-af18-c62bfd0448d8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19781&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19781

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 19:52:44 -0800 (PST)
of_the_2023_grid
From: brafi...@hotmail.com (bra)
 by: bra - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 03:52 UTC

On Friday, December 30, 2022 at 7:50:29 AM UTC-8, a425couple wrote:
> from
> https://www.planetf1.com/features/f1-drivers-height-weight-2023/
>
> F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid
> Thomas Maher Thursday 29th December 2022 9:00 AM
> The Formula 1 2022 drivers, pictured at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Yas
> Marina, November 2022. F1 height
>
> Here is each one of the 2023 Formula 1 drivers’ height and weight at the
> beginning of the new season.

In some race categories,--- in F1 too? ---- the machine and driver together must weigh the same as every other machine+driver.

Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<d5aa0bd6-5c21-4b1b-adfe-592f2bafacbcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19782&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19782

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 21:25:55 -0800 (PST)
of_the_2023_grid
From: texasg...@gmail.com (texas gate)
 by: texas gate - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 05:25 UTC

On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 8:52:45 PM UTC-7, bra wrote:

> the machine

> every other machine

machine?
lol
wtf?

Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<tpuufs$22fn3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19784&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19784

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: Re:_F1_drivers’_height_and_weight:_A_full_run
down_of_the_2023_grid
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 11:06:36 -0800
 by: Alan - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 19:06 UTC

On 2023-01-11 19:52, bra wrote:
> On Friday, December 30, 2022 at 7:50:29 AM UTC-8, a425couple wrote:
>> from
>> https://www.planetf1.com/features/f1-drivers-height-weight-2023/
>>
>> F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid
>> Thomas Maher Thursday 29th December 2022 9:00 AM
>> The Formula 1 2022 drivers, pictured at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Yas
>> Marina, November 2022. F1 height
>>
>> Here is each one of the 2023 Formula 1 drivers’ height and weight at the
>> beginning of the new season.
>>

> In some race categories,--- in F1 too? ---- the machine and driver together must weigh the same as every other machine+driver.

Not "the same". In almost all racing classes, there is a minimum weight
that the car and driver together must not finish the race below.

In my class, that weight is 1,110 lb. (It used to be 1,100 lb., but when
the class changed to a spec tire that was heavier than those previously
used, the minimum was increased slightly).

F1 falls in this group of classes that run this way.

The minimum weight for F1 cars with driver included is 798kg. That
weight was going to be 795kg, but some teams struggled to meet that
minimum and so the FIA bumped it up by 3kg.

The rules around this have changed somewhat over the years. At one time,
teams were allowed to "top up" certain of the cars fluids before being
weighed, but this resulted in teams carrying water for "cooling" that
was simply dumped after the car moved off and then added back after the
race; allowing the car to run at a lower weight for the entire race.

Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<bcc22ed6-88dc-484a-b0d1-fa0adbb60af1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19785&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19785

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 18:19:18 -0800 (PST)
of_the_2023_grid
From: texasg...@gmail.com (texas gate)
 by: texas gate - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 02:19 UTC

On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 12:06:39 PM UTC-7, Alan wrote:

> Not "the same".

fuck you and your quotes

> In my class, that weight is 1,110 lb. (It used to be 1,100 lb., but when
> the class changed to a spec tire that was heavier than those previously
> used, the minimum was increased slightly).

yawn
you quit racing
so fuck you and your class

> The minimum weight for F1 cars with driver included is 798kg. That
> weight was going to be 795kg, but some teams struggled to meet that
> minimum and so the FIA bumped it up by 3kg.

yawn

> The rules around this have changed somewhat over the years. At one time,
> teams were allowed to "top up" certain of the cars fluids before being
> weighed, but this resulted in teams carrying water for "cooling" that
> was simply dumped after the car moved off and then added back after the
> race; allowing the car to run at a lower weight for the entire race.

so they cheated like you in the rasf1 pool
fuck off asshole

Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<tq0o5k$2b8su$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19786&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19786

From: shaun.at...@gmail.com (~misfit~)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
down_of_the_2023_grid
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 00:30:59 +1300
 by: ~misfit~ - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 11:30 UTC

On 12/01/2023 4:52 pm, bra wrote:
> On Friday, December 30, 2022 at 7:50:29 AM UTC-8, a425couple wrote:
>> from
>> https://www.planetf1.com/features/f1-drivers-height-weight-2023/
>>
>> F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid
>> Thomas Maher Thursday 29th December 2022 9:00 AM
>> The Formula 1 2022 drivers, pictured at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Yas
>> Marina, November 2022. F1 height
>>
>> Here is each one of the 2023 Formula 1 drivers’ height and weight at the
>> beginning of the new season.
>>

> In some race categories,--- in F1 too? ---- the machine and driver together must weigh the same as every other machine+driver.

I believe that in F1 there is a minimum weight only. They can be over that weight (but for obvious
reasons rarely are by much).
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<k2i9iuFdf7dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19787&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19787

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
down_of_the_2023_grid
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 22:23:58 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 12:23 UTC

On 15/01/2023 9:30 pm, ~misfit~ wrote:
> On 12/01/2023 4:52 pm, bra wrote:
>> On Friday, December 30, 2022 at 7:50:29 AM UTC-8, a425couple wrote:
>>> from
>>> https://www.planetf1.com/features/f1-drivers-height-weight-2023/
>>>
>>> F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid
>>> Thomas Maher Thursday 29th December 2022 9:00 AM
>>> The Formula 1 2022 drivers, pictured at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Yas
>>> Marina, November 2022. F1 height
>>>
>>> Here is each one of the 2023 Formula 1 drivers’ height and weight at the
>>> beginning of the new season.
>>>

>> In some race categories,--- in F1 too?  ---- the machine and driver
>> together must weigh the same as every other machine+driver.
>
> I believe that in F1 there is a minimum weight only. They can be over
> that weight (but for obvious reasons rarely are by much).

To quote Barnes Wallis "Weight is only of an advantage if you are
designing steamrollers"

Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<k2ilklFenloU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19788&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19788

From: mjack...@alumni.caltech.edu (Mark Jackson)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
down_of_the_2023_grid
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 10:49:40 -0500
 by: Mark Jackson - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 15:49 UTC

On 1/15/2023 7:23 AM, keithr0 wrote:
> On 15/01/2023 9:30 pm, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> On 12/01/2023 4:52 pm, bra wrote:

>>> In some race categories,--- in F1 too? ---- the machine and
>>> driver together must weigh the same as every other
>>> machine+driver.
>>
>> I believe that in F1 there is a minimum weight only. They can be
>> over that weight (but for obvious reasons rarely are by much).
>
> To quote Barnes Wallis "Weight is only of an advantage if you are
> designing steamrollers"

From 1928 through 1937 the AIACR regulations for cars contesting Grand
Prix events were primarily about weight, leaving engines essentially
unregulated:

1928 weight 550-750 kg
1929-33 minimum weight 900 kg
1934-37 MAXIMUM weight 750 kg

The logic behind the last was that larger (and even dual) engines, while
giving more power, inevitably came with more weight and therefore could
be controlled with a maximum weight formula. Mercedes and Auto Union
soon demonstrated that this was ineffective in practice.

--
Mark Jackson - https://mark-jackson.online/
Nobody has come up with significant real-world uses

Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<k2llvaFtf8eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19789&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19789

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Sir Tim)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: Re: F1 drivers’ height and
Date: 16 Jan 2023 19:13:46 GMT
 by: Sir Tim - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 19:13 UTC

Mark Jackson <mjackson@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On 1/15/2023 7:23 AM, keithr0 wrote:

>>> I believe that in F1 there is a minimum weight only. They can be
>>> over that weight (but for obvious reasons rarely are by much).
>>
>> To quote Barnes Wallis "Weight is only of an advantage if you are
>> designing steamrollers"
>
> From 1928 through 1937 the AIACR regulations for cars contesting Grand
> Prix events were primarily about weight, leaving engines essentially
> unregulated:
>
> 1928 weight 550-750 kg
> 1929-33 minimum weight 900 kg
> 1934-37 MAXIMUM weight 750 kg
>
> The logic behind the last was that larger (and even dual) engines, while
> giving more power, inevitably came with more weight and therefore could
> be controlled with a maximum weight formula. Mercedes and Auto Union
> soon demonstrated that this was ineffective in practice.

The reason that the Silver Arrows became silver is said to have been
because the team removed the white paintwork in order to meet the 750 kg
requirement (allegedly :-))

--
Sir Tim

Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<k2lmtuFtjsdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19790&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19790

From: mjack...@alumni.caltech.edu (Mark Jackson)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
down_of_the_2023_grid
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 14:30:05 -0500
 by: Mark Jackson - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 19:30 UTC

On 1/16/2023 2:13 PM, Sir Tim wrote:
> Mark Jackson <mjackson@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:

>> From 1928 through 1937 the AIACR regulations for cars contesting Grand
>> Prix events were primarily about weight, leaving engines essentially
>> unregulated:
>>
>> 1928 weight 550-750 kg
>> 1929-33 minimum weight 900 kg
>> 1934-37 MAXIMUM weight 750 kg
>>
>> The logic behind the last was that larger (and even dual) engines, while
>> giving more power, inevitably came with more weight and therefore could
>> be controlled with a maximum weight formula. Mercedes and Auto Union
>> soon demonstrated that this was ineffective in practice.
>>

> The reason that the Silver Arrows became silver is said to have been
> because the team removed the white paintwork in order to meet the 750 kg
> requirement (allegedly :-))

Alleged by Neubauer himself, although he was known to be less than fully
reliable:

"There is however, controversy and doubt regarding this story. It did
not appear until 1958, and no reference to it has been found in
contemporary sources. It has since been established that von Brauchitsch
had raced a streamlined silver SSKL on the AVUS in 1932, which was
called a Silver Arrow in live radio coverage. Also, in 1934, both
Mercedes and Auto Union had entered the Avusrennen with silver cars. The
next big event was the 1934 Eifelrennen, but as few cars complying to
the new rules were ready, it was held for Formule Libre, so weight was
still not a race-critical issue at that time.[1] By the 1930s, modern
stressed-skin aircraft fuselage construction was already using polished
and unpainted aluminium panels for streamlining and to save weight.
Neubauer's 1958 autobiography has been shown to include several
embellished stories and dubious claims, including a fabricated hoax
surrounding the 1933 Tripoli Grand Prix, where he falsely accused
several drivers of "fixing" the race.[2]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Arrows

--
Mark Jackson - https://mark-jackson.online/
Nobody has come up with significant real-world uses
for cryptocurrency other than money-laundering.
- Paul Krugman

Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<k2n0pcF558rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19791&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19791

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Sir Tim)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: 17 Jan 2023 07:24:28 GMT
 by: Sir Tim - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 07:24 UTC

Mark Jackson <mjackson@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On 1/16/2023 2:13 PM, Sir Tim wrote:
>> Mark Jackson <mjackson@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
>
>>> From 1928 through 1937 the AIACR regulations for cars contesting Grand
>>> Prix events were primarily about weight, leaving engines essentially
>>> unregulated:
>>>
>>> 1928 weight 550-750 kg
>>> 1929-33 minimum weight 900 kg
>>> 1934-37 MAXIMUM weight 750 kg
>>>
>>> The logic behind the last was that larger (and even dual) engines, while
>>> giving more power, inevitably came with more weight and therefore could
>>> be controlled with a maximum weight formula. Mercedes and Auto Union
>>> soon demonstrated that this was ineffective in practice.
>>>

>> The reason that the Silver Arrows became silver is said to have been
>> because the team removed the white paintwork in order to meet the 750 kg
>> requirement (allegedly :-))
>
> Alleged by Neubauer himself, although he was known to be less than fully
> reliable:
>
> "There is however, controversy and doubt regarding this story. It did
> not appear until 1958, and no reference to it has been found in
> contemporary sources. It has since been established that von Brauchitsch
> had raced a streamlined silver SSKL on the AVUS in 1932, which was
> called a Silver Arrow in live radio coverage. Also, in 1934, both
> Mercedes and Auto Union had entered the Avusrennen with silver cars. The
> next big event was the 1934 Eifelrennen, but as few cars complying to
> the new rules were ready, it was held for Formule Libre, so weight was
> still not a race-critical issue at that time.[1] By the 1930s, modern
> stressed-skin aircraft fuselage construction was already using polished
> and unpainted aluminium panels for streamlining and to save weight.
> Neubauer's 1958 autobiography has been shown to include several
> embellished stories and dubious claims, including a fabricated hoax
> surrounding the 1933 Tripoli Grand Prix, where he falsely accused
> several drivers of "fixing" the race.[2]"
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Arrows

Thanks for this, Mark.

--
Sir Tim

Re: F1 drivers’ height and weight: A full rundown of the 2023 grid

<af81365a-5276-42e0-880a-e0ab3bcb552cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=19805&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#19805

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 10:19:28 -0800 (PST)
of_the_2023_grid
From: brafi...@hotmail.com (bra)
 by: bra - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:19 UTC

On Monday, January 16, 2023 at 11:24:31 PM UTC-8, Sir Tim wrote:

> Thanks for this, Mark.
> > --
> Sir Tim

Years ago in the American monthly magazine for oval racing, OPEN WHEEL, a reporter noted a sprint car team owner grousing in the pits:
"Do you know how much I've spent on titanium parts this year, and look at my driver; that's his second burger with fries since we got here."