Woman: "Is Yoo-Hoo hyphenated?" Yogi Berra: "No, ma'am, its not even carbonated."

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0

SubjectAuthor
* Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0phlash74
+* Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0Robin Miller
|+* Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0Robin Miller
||`- Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0phlash74
|`- Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0Robin Miller
+- Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0max headroom
`* Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0Eddie Grove
 `- Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0Eddie Grove

1
Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0

<f8668418-c849-42f0-94fe-cff04b5df76fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1982&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1982

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 09:28:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:28 UTC

Presumably the final version: https://www.chargers.com/news/nfl-mock-draft-2022-tracker-14-chargers-round-1-pick-17

New leader in the clubhouse is Northern Iowa OT Trevor Penning who would presumably start on the right side immediately. Second is DT Jordan Davis of Georgia, but most of the mocks that still have him listed are more than 3 weeks old.

Picks by position:
OT - 13
WR - 12
DT - 8
CB - 3
OG - 2
LB - 2

Players by number of mocks named in:

OT Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa - 9
DT Jordan Davis, Georgia - 6
WR Chris Olave, Ohio State - 4
OT Charles Cross, Mississippi State - 3
CB Trent McDuffie, Washington - 3
WR Jameson Williams, Alabama - 3
OG Zion Johnson, Boston College - 2
WR Drake London, USC - 2
WR Garrett Wilson, Ohio State - 2
DT Devonte Wyatt, Georgia - 2
WR Treylon Brooks, Arkansas - 1
LB Nakobe Dean, Georgia - 1
OT Kenyon Green, Texas A&M - 1
LB Devin Lloyd, Utah - 1

Michael

Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0

<jcvu1iFrah2U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1983&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1983

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:34:52 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:34 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> Presumably the final version: https://www.chargers.com/news/nfl-mock-draft-2022-tracker-14-chargers-round-1-pick-17
>
> New leader in the clubhouse is Northern Iowa OT Trevor Penning who would presumably start on the right side immediately. Second is DT Jordan Davis of Georgia, but most of the mocks that still have him listed are more than 3 weeks old.
>
> Picks by position:
> OT - 13
> WR - 12
> DT - 8
> CB - 3
> OG - 2
> LB - 2
>
> Players by number of mocks named in:
>
> OT Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa - 9
> DT Jordan Davis, Georgia - 6
> WR Chris Olave, Ohio State - 4
> OT Charles Cross, Mississippi State - 3
> CB Trent McDuffie, Washington - 3
> WR Jameson Williams, Alabama - 3
> OG Zion Johnson, Boston College - 2
> WR Drake London, USC - 2
> WR Garrett Wilson, Ohio State - 2
> DT Devonte Wyatt, Georgia - 2
> WR Treylon Brooks, Arkansas - 1
> LB Nakobe Dean, Georgia - 1
> OT Kenyon Green, Texas A&M - 1
> LB Devin Lloyd, Utah - 1
>
> Michael

I'm hoping that Penning falls to the Chargers, but I don't follow the
college game, and I know that some people don't like him. Here is
Slater's final mock (posted today) for the Chargers. He thinks the top
four OTs (including Penning) will be gone by 17.

--Robin

Round 1, Pick 17: Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington

I overthought my Mock 4.0 last year. I felt like an offensive tackle was
going to be the pick — the need was just so glaring on Justin Herbert’s
blindside — but I leaned into my pessimistic tendencies. I did not think
Rashawn Slater was going to fall, so I mocked Christian Darrisaw. And I
have been living with regret for the past 12 months.

No overthinking this time. The theme of the day is optimism. A player is
going to fall to the Chargers at 17. And I am going with McDuffie.

The Chargers’ need at cornerback is more significant than most are
anticipating. Their depth was an absolute mess last season, and it led
to atrocious defense on third-and-longs in the second half of the
season. Despite the J.C. Jackson signing, they still are not deep.
Michael Davis is the third corner and in line for a large share of snaps
in nickel packages. He struggled with the scheme change last season.
Tevaughn Campbell is the fourth corner. He struggled even more than Davis.

Upgrading the defense has been the priority all offseason long, and I
think that continues Thursday night. McDuffie could fall because he is
undersized, but he has everything Brandon Staley is looking for in a
corner — high football IQ, competitive, tough, excellent technique and
fundamentals, sharp instincts, inside-outside flexibility, scheme
versatility and is a willing tackler in run defense. With McDuffie on
the roster, he can compete with Davis for that CB3 spot, and the
Chargers would have enough depth to weather injuries.

I still think the top four tackles will be gone, but McDuffie might fall
through the cracks. I love his fit. Now you can scroll to the comment
section and yell at me for not taking a receiver.

Round 3, Pick 79: Cole Strange, IOL, Chattanooga

If the Chargers do not address their offensive line need in the first
round, they pretty much have to do it at this spot. Strange was a
standout at the Senior Bowl, where he lined up at both center and guard.
I think he would be a Day 1 starter for the Chargers at left guard,
where he started 42 games in college. Strange has size and athleticism.
His testing numbers and measurables aligned closely with those of elite
guards Joe Thuney and Ali Marpet, according to MockDraftable. And as The
Athletic’s Dane Brugler wrote in his draft guide, Strange has
“outstanding football character.”

Round 4, Pick 123: Danny Gray, WR, SMU

If you yelled at me for not taking a receiver in Round 1, now you can
apologize. I mocked Gray at this spot in my Mock 3.0, and I am sticking
with it. The fit just makes too much sense if the Chargers do pass on a
speed receiver in the first round. Gray has the deep-field speed the
Chargers are looking for. He ran a 4.33 40 at the combine and posted the
fastest GPS speed of any player at the Senior Bowl. But, as Brugler
wrote in his draft guide, Gray produced in all three levels of the field
in his time at SMU and is “not a one-trick pony.”

Round 5, Pick 160: Tyreke Smith, edge rusher, Ohio State

I wanted to take an edge rusher earlier in this draft, but I just could
not find the right value considering the Chargers’ other needs. Smith
has tremendous athleticism and showed great bend off the edge at times,
like on the strip-sack he had against Penn State last season. He does
have some injury concerns, and that means he could be available in the
fifth round. Smith would be a great fit as a stand-up edge rusher in
Staley’s defensive scheme.

Round 6, Pick 195: Thomas Booker, DL, Stanford

Booker is highly intelligent and graduated from Stanford with a 3.88
GPA, double majoring in economics and communications. According to
Brugler, he has “a dense, athletic frame” and “flashes an explosive,
upward punch to jolt blockers off balance and reset the line of
scrimmage.” Booker also “flashes a closing burst down the line in the
run game.” He fills a need as a rotational defensive lineman. And
general manager Tom Telesco generally likes to target high-character
players at this point in the draft. Booker, a two-time team captain for
the Cardinal, fits that mold.

Round 6, Pick 214: Jerome Ford, RB, Cincinnati

I mocked Ford to the Chargers at No. 195 in my Mock 3.0, and I still
like this pick. Ford had a hugely productive 2021 season at Cincinnati.
He has strength, size, speed and receiving ability. If the Chargers add
him, I think he would take over the RB2 role behind Austin Ekeler.

Round 7, Pick 236: Zakoby McClain, LB, Auburn

McClain is undersized at 5-foot-11, 227 pounds, but he played 480
special teams snaps in his time at Auburn and racked up 209 tackles over
his final two college seasons. That is impressive production in the SEC.
And he was reliable in coverage. McClain “competes with the old-school
mentality that coaches will embrace,” according to Brugler, and former
Auburn LB coach Travis Williams said McClain will “fight a chainsaw.” He
would compete with Nick Niemann and Amen Ogbongbemiga for a spot on the
linebacker depth chart.

Round 7, Pick 254: Quentin Lake, S, UCLA

Lake appeared in my Mock 2.0 (at No. 214) and I like his combination of
length, speed and intelligence. He last played special teams as a
freshman, but he played well on those units. The Chargers need depth at
deep-field safety behind Nasir Adderley, as Alohi Gilman and Mark Webb
are better when positioned closer to the line of scrimmage.

Round 7, Pick 255: Obinna Eze, OT, TCU

The seventh round is often about betting on traits. Eze is over
6-foot-6, 321 pounds and has 36-inch arms. Worth a flyer.

Round 7, Pick 260: Darrell Baker, CB, Georgia Southern

Another traits flyer for the Chargers. Baker is over 6-foot and ran a
4.41 at his pro day. Brugler writes that Baker projects best as a
“press-man corner and special teamer.” I mocked him to the Chargers in
my Mock 3.0.

Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0

<jcvv9iFrh7aU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1984&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1984

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:56:13 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:56 UTC

Robin Miller wrote:
> [...]
> linebacker depth chart.
>

> Round 7, Pick 254: Quentin Lake, S, UCLA
>
> Lake appeared in my Mock 2.0 (at No. 214) and I like his combination of
> length, speed and intelligence. He last played special teams as a
> freshman, but he played well on those units. The Chargers need depth at
> deep-field safety behind Nasir Adderley, as Alohi Gilman and Mark Webb
> are better when positioned closer to the line of scrimmage.
>

> Round 7, Pick 255: Obinna Eze, OT, TCU
>
> The seventh round is often about betting on traits. Eze is over
> 6-foot-6, 321 pounds and has 36-inch arms. Worth a flyer.
>

> Round 7, Pick 260: Darrell Baker, CB, Georgia Southern
>
> Another traits flyer for the Chargers. Baker is over 6-foot and ran a
> 4.41 at his pro day. Brugler writes that Baker projects best as a
> “press-man corner and special teamer.” I mocked him to the Chargers in

Another all-teams mock in The Athletic also has the top four OTs gone
before 17 and the Chargers taking Zion Johnson instead of McDuffie:

14. Baltimore Ravens: Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa

There is a good chance this pick is a lineman, but offense or defense?
Penning is a big, athletic blocker with the mentality that will appeal
to the Ravens.

15. Philadelphia Eagles: Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia

Pound for pound, Davis is one of the best athletes in the draft. And
Howie Roseman is always looking to upgrade on the defensive line with
disruptive players.

16. New Orleans Saints: Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State

The Saints feel they are ready to compete right now, and they draft the
most NFL-ready receiver in the draft. Olave’s smooth and polished play
style will be an immediate asset for whoever is under center.

17. Los Angeles Chargers: Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0

<e37dc165-e8a5-4f73-9f0c-7f8948a4daa6n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1985&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1985

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:09:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:09 UTC

<jd05kbFsnt0U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1986&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1986

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 14:44:20 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:44 UTC

Robin Miller wrote:
> [...]
> linebacker depth chart.
>

> Round 7, Pick 254: Quentin Lake, S, UCLA
>
> Lake appeared in my Mock 2.0 (at No. 214) and I like his combination of
> length, speed and intelligence. He last played special teams as a
> freshman, but he played well on those units. The Chargers need depth at
> deep-field safety behind Nasir Adderley, as Alohi Gilman and Mark Webb
> are better when positioned closer to the line of scrimmage.
>

> Round 7, Pick 255: Obinna Eze, OT, TCU
>
> The seventh round is often about betting on traits. Eze is over
> 6-foot-6, 321 pounds and has 36-inch arms. Worth a flyer.
>

> Round 7, Pick 260: Darrell Baker, CB, Georgia Southern
>
> Another traits flyer for the Chargers. Baker is over 6-foot and ran a
> 4.41 at his pro day. Brugler writes that Baker projects best as a
> “press-man corner and special teamer.” I mocked him to the Chargers in

One factor that helped the Chargers last season is that there was a run
on QBs early, with four going before the Chargers picked Slater at 13.
That's not going to happen this year--the all-teams mock from The
Athletic has only two QBs going in the first round, and at 20 and 32.
That's consistent with what I've seen elsewhere.

Slater thinks in general that there are four top OTs and three top CBs
and, if any are available at 17, the Chargers will take that player.
Three of the OTs will go very early; only Penning might be available.

The other positions that are in play for the Chargers at 17 are OG, WR
and IDL.

--Robin

Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0

<t4erhd$caq$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1987&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1987

From: maximush...@gmx.com (max headroom)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:50:50 -0700
 by: max headroom - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:50 UTC

In news:f8668418-c849-42f0-94fe-cff04b5df76fn@googlegroups.com, phlash74
<phlash74@msn.com> typed:

> Presumably the final version:
> https://www.chargers.com/news/nfl-mock-draft-2022-tracker-14-chargers-round-1-pick-17

> New leader in the clubhouse is Northern Iowa OT Trevor Penning who would
> presumably start on the right side immediately. Second is DT Jordan Davis of
> Georgia, but most of the mocks that still have him listed are more than 3 weeks
> old.

> Picks by position:
> OT - 13
> WR - 12
> DT - 8
> CB - 3
> OG - 2
> LB - 2

> Players by number of mocks named in:

> OT Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa - 9
> DT Jordan Davis, Georgia - 6
> WR Chris Olave, Ohio State - 4
> OT Charles Cross, Mississippi State - 3
> CB Trent McDuffie, Washington - 3
> WR Jameson Williams, Alabama - 3
> OG Zion Johnson, Boston College - 2
> WR Drake London, USC - 2
> WR Garrett Wilson, Ohio State - 2
> DT Devonte Wyatt, Georgia - 2
> WR Treylon Brooks, Arkansas - 1
> LB Nakobe Dean, Georgia - 1
> OT Kenyon Green, Texas A&M - 1
> LB Devin Lloyd, Utah - 1

> Michael

I'm surprised by the number of writers who think a WR is the #1 need. I realize a
lot of these picks are determined by who the writers think will be available with
the #17 pick, but still...

From what I've read, Chris Olave is causing wet dreams among the scouts, and the
prospect of teaming a real speedster with Herbert's arm is hard to resist, but
still...

Putting Slater at LT and Penning at RT as bookends could create an OL that Rivers
would have traded two of his kids for. Giving Herbert 2 more seconds to read the
defense... yeehaw! Add a monster RT and the running game blooms.

Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0

<8735hw7vow.fsf@hotmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1988&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1988

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 14:19:11 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 21:19 UTC

phlash74 <phlash74@msn.com> writes:

> Presumably the final version: https://www.chargers.com/news/nfl-mock-draft-2022-tracker-14-chargers-round-1-pick-17
>
> New leader in the clubhouse is Northern Iowa OT Trevor Penning who
> would presumably start on the right side immediately. Second is DT
> Jordan Davis of Georgia, but most of the mocks that still have him
> listed are more than 3 weeks old.

I think there might be a competition between the Eagles and the Chargers.
The first step was the Eagles grabbing #15. Will the Chargers move up to
go ahead of the Eagles? Will the Eagles move up first preemptively?

I have no clue about the players. I'll be watching to see the trades.

Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0

<87zgk450tf.fsf@hotmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1989&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1989

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 14:56:44 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 21:56 UTC

Eddie Grove <eddiegrove@hotmail.com> writes:

> phlash74 <phlash74@msn.com> writes:
>
>> Presumably the final version: https://www.chargers.com/news/nfl-mock-draft-2022-tracker-14-chargers-round-1-pick-17
>>
>> New leader in the clubhouse is Northern Iowa OT Trevor Penning who
>> would presumably start on the right side immediately. Second is DT
>> Jordan Davis of Georgia, but most of the mocks that still have him
>> listed are more than 3 weeks old.
>
> I think there might be a competition between the Eagles and the Chargers.
> The first step was the Eagles grabbing #15. Will the Chargers move up to
> go ahead of the Eagles? Will the Eagles move up first preemptively?
>
> I have no clue about the players. I'll be watching to see the trades.

I've lost my mind. The Saints grabbed #16. Maybe it was them. I don't
even know which team supposedly had the same needs to be competing for.