From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: 3rd round pick: safety J.T. Woods
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 23:05:30 -0400
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.11.1
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 03:05 UTC

Not a lot of excitement about this pick from the fans. Here is one
scouting report, which listed him as the 18th-best safety in the draft.

One report says he may be able to play cornerback, which might be in the
Chargers' plans.

--Robin

J.T. Woods, S, Baylor
Height: 6-2. Weight: 188. Arm: 32.38. Hand: 8.5.
Official 40 Time: 4.36.

4/27/22: Woods was a solid safety for the Bears over the past two
seasons and played well as a senior with 57 tackles, six interceptions
and two passes defended. He has quality height, but he could himself by
filling out his frame to tackle in the NFL.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2022S.php

Re: 3rd round pick: safety J.T. Woods

<jd3ngfFiu9vU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2008&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2008

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: 3rd round pick: safety J.T. Woods
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 23:07:48 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 03:07 UTC

Robin Miller wrote:

> Not a lot of excitement about this pick from the fans. Here is one
> scouting report, which listed him as the 18th-best safety in the draft.
>
> One report says he may be able to play cornerback, which might be in the
> Chargers' plans.
>
> --Robin
>

> J.T. Woods, S, Baylor
> Height: 6-2. Weight: 188. Arm: 32.38. Hand: 8.5.
> Official 40 Time: 4.36.
>
> 4/27/22: Woods was a solid safety for the Bears over the past two
> seasons and played well as a senior with 57 tackles, six interceptions
> and two passes defended. He has quality height, but he could himself by
> filling out his frame to tackle in the NFL.
>
> https://walterfootball.com/draft2022S.php

From Popper:

Important last sentence in here [one scouting report]: "He might get
some looks at cornerback by press-heavy teams." Very possible Chargers
view him as a CB, which would make a lot more sense. We'll find out soon
from Telesco/Staley.

JT Woods said he played mostly in the deep part of the field at Baylor
as a free safety. Also covered tight ends one-on-one, played some in the
box and defended the slot. Said he's yet to have any conversations with
#Chargers about playing outside CB.

JT Woods said he earned his nickname "The Heartbreak Kid" — or HBK for
short — during a fall camp in 2019. And it took on a life of its own as
he started "breaking the hearts of quarterbacks across the country" in
real games. Had 9 INTs over the past two seasons.

--Robin

Re: 3rd round pick: safety J.T. Woods

<t4idvl$lsf$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2009&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2009

From: maximush...@gmx.com (max headroom)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 21:11:42 -0700
 by: max headroom - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 04:11 UTC

In news:jd3ngfFiu9vU2@mid.individual.net, Robin Miller
<robin.miller@invalid.invalid> typed:

> Robin Miller wrote:

>> Not a lot of excitement about this pick from the fans. Here is one
>> scouting report, which listed him as the 18th-best safety in the draft.

>> One report says he may be able to play cornerback, which might be in the
>> Chargers' plans.

>> --Robin

>> J.T. Woods, S, Baylor
>> Height: 6-2. Weight: 188. Arm: 32.38. Hand: 8.5.
>> Official 40 Time: 4.36.

>> 4/27/22: Woods was a solid safety for the Bears over the past two
>> seasons and played well as a senior with 57 tackles, six interceptions
>> and two passes defended. He has quality height, but he could himself by
>> filling out his frame to tackle in the NFL.

>> https://walterfootball.com/draft2022S.php

> From Popper:

> Important last sentence in here [one scouting report]: "He might get
> some looks at cornerback by press-heavy teams." Very possible Chargers
> view him as a CB, which would make a lot more sense. We'll find out soon
> from Telesco/Staley.

> JT Woods said he played mostly in the deep part of the field at Baylor
> as a free safety. Also covered tight ends one-on-one, played some in the
> box and defended the slot. Said he's yet to have any conversations with
> #Chargers about playing outside CB.

> JT Woods said he earned his nickname "The Heartbreak Kid" - or HBK for
> short - during a fall camp in 2019. And it took on a life of its own as
> he started "breaking the hearts of quarterbacks across the country" in
> real games. Had 9 INTs over the past two seasons.

> --Robin

He'll fit right in. The Chargers are breaking my heart with this draft so far.

Re: 3rd round pick: safety J.T. Woods

<jd3s9nFjqcgU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2010&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2010

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 00:29:32 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 04:29 UTC

Robin Miller wrote:
> Robin Miller wrote:
>>
>> Not a lot of excitement about this pick from the fans. Here is one
>> scouting report, which listed him as the 18th-best safety in the draft.
>>
>> One report says he may be able to play cornerback, which might be in
>> the Chargers' plans.
>>
>> --Robin
>>

>> J.T. Woods, S, Baylor
>> Height: 6-2. Weight: 188. Arm: 32.38. Hand: 8.5.
>> Official 40 Time: 4.36.
>>
>> 4/27/22: Woods was a solid safety for the Bears over the past two
>> seasons and played well as a senior with 57 tackles, six interceptions
>> and two passes defended. He has quality height, but he could himself
>> by filling out his frame to tackle in the NFL.
>>
>> https://walterfootball.com/draft2022S.php
>>

> From Popper:
>
> Important last sentence in here [one scouting report]: "He might get
> some looks at cornerback by press-heavy teams." Very possible Chargers
> view him as a CB, which would make a lot more sense. We'll find out soon
> from Telesco/Staley.
>
> JT Woods said he played mostly in the deep part of the field at Baylor
> as a free safety. Also covered tight ends one-on-one, played some in the
> box and defended the slot. Said he's yet to have any conversations with
> #Chargers about playing outside CB.
>
> JT Woods said he earned his nickname "The Heartbreak Kid" — or HBK for
> short — during a fall camp in 2019. And it took on a life of its own as
> he started "breaking the hearts of quarterbacks across the country" in
> real games. Had 9 INTs over the past two seasons.
>

> --Robin

Here's Popper's quick reaction in The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3283555/2022/04/30/jt-woods-draft-los-angeles-chargers/

Chargers draft JT Woods: Ballhawking safety adds depth to defensive
backfield

After a long delay, the Chargers were back on the clock Friday night at
pick 79 and selected Baylor safety JT Woods.

Woods brings size, speed and ball production to the Chargers’ defensive
backfield. A track sprinter in high school, Woods stands over 6-foot-2,
ran a 4.36 40-yard dash at the combine and led the nation in
interceptions last season with six. He had nine interceptions and 14
passes defended in 23 games over his final two seasons for Baylor.

Draft grades: Sheil Kapadia weighs in on the picks
Big board best available: Who’s left from Dane Brugler’s Top 300?

Big board ranking: Woods was the 128th ranked player on Dane Brugler’s
Big Board. He had a fourth- to fifth-round grade. There were some
intriguing options available at positions of need, including Miami
(Ohio) edge rusher Dominique Robinson, Western Kentucky edge rusher
DeAngelo Malone, UTSA CB Tariq Woolen, Houston CB Marcus Jones, Oklahoma
DL Perrion Winfrey, Georgia LB Nakobe Dean and Texas A&M DL DeMarvin
Neal. But they instead opted to add depth at safety.

Introduction: Woods hails from San Antonio and was both a football
player (wide receiver, safety) and sprinter (100-meter, 200-meter and
110-meter hurdles) in high school. Woods continued his track career at
Baylor, winning the 110-meter hurdle at the Baylor Invitational and
placing third in the 100-meter at the USC Invitational. He has
outstanding speed. Baylor was the only Power 5 school to offer him a
football scholarship coming out of high school. He earned the nickname
“The Heartbreak Kid” — or HBK for short — during a fall football camp at
Baylor in 2019 because of his propensity for breaking QBs’ hearts with
picks. That translated into game action in 2020 and 2021 with his nine
interceptions.

How he fits: The Chargers had 11 interceptions as a team in Brandon
Staley’s first season as head coach. Only seven teams across the league
had fewer. They need players who can take the ball away, and this pick
feels geared toward accomplishing that goal. Brugler wrote in his draft
guide that Woods has “excellent hand-eye coordination to pluck the ball
mid-air” and “loves to bait throws and set traps.” And he is a weapon to
take any interception to the house with his speed and vision. He
averaged 22.3 yards per interception return in his college career. Woods
had a 20-yard interception return TD and 97-yard fumble return TD in 2021.

Second guess? Safety was not high on my list of needs for the Chargers,
and they had the option of targeting a player who would have filled a
more glaring roster hole, namely corner or edge rusher.

Rookie impact: Woods does have some versatility. He said he played
mostly in the deep part of the field as a free safety in Dave Aranda’s
defense at Baylor. But he also matched up one-on-one with tight ends,
played in the box and covered the slot. With his length, speed and ball
skills, Woods does have traits that could translate to outside corner,
and Brugler mentioned that position switch as an option in his scouting
report on Woods.

Depth-chart impact: Derwin James and Nasir Adderley form the Chargers’
starting safety duo, so Woods will be battling for playing time with
backup safeties Mark Webb and Alohi Gilman. Woods has more range to play
in the deep part of the field. Gilman and Webb are better served lining
up closer to the line of scrimmage. That part of Woods’ skill set gives
the Chargers some deep-field depth behind James and Adderley. And that
depth was exposed last season when Adderley and James missed time. Trey
Marshall struggled when called into action. It’s worth mentioning that
Adderley is entering the final season of his rookie deal and was drafted
under the prior coaching regime.

Fast evaluation: Woods is a ballhawk with the production to back it up.
We will see exactly where he fits into the defense. But he has a very
appealing blend of size and speed that should give the Chargers depth
and flexibility in nickel and dime packages. And Woods has the athletic
traits and willing physicality to contribute as a special-teamer, most
likely as a gunner on punt team.