From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Sir Tim)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: Safety car - why?
Date: 20 Mar 2023 07:53:32 GMT
 by: Sir Tim - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 07:53 UTC

According to Alice Powell on the BBC the spot where Lance Stroll parked his
car was specifically marked with tape to indicate that it was safe. Why
then did the stewards bring out the SC? Even a VSC was not really
necessary. Could it be because they wanted to close up the field to make
things more exciting?

Coupled with the cock-up over Alonso’s penalty the FIA are looking pretty
incompetent.

--
Sir Tim

Re: Safety car - why?

<bd67b169-cff2-4dde-9a85-29ace052b792n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=20060&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20060

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 02:00:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Safety car - why?
From: qwrtz...@gmail.com (XYXPDQ)
 by: XYXPDQ - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 09:00 UTC

On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 12:53:36 AM UTC-7, Sir Tim wrote:
> According to Alice Powell on the BBC the spot where Lance Stroll parked his
> car was specifically marked with tape to indicate that it was safe. Why
> then did the stewards bring out the SC? Even a VSC was not really
> necessary. Could it be because they wanted to close up the field to make
> things more exciting?
>
> Coupled with the cock-up over Alonso’s penalty the FIA are looking pretty
> incompetent.
>

> --
> Sir Tim

Commentators said something about the cars locator indicating it was "on track".

Re: Safety car - why?

<874jqf9y2y.fsf@zotaspaz.fatphil.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=20066&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20066

From: pc+use...@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 18:39:17 +0200
sha1:Vif4FE7zGYmFvr5juz/bArG2PX0=
 by: Phil Carmody - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 16:39 UTC

XYXPDQ <qwrtz123@gmail.com> writes:
> On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 12:53:36 AM UTC-7, Sir Tim wrote:
>> According to Alice Powell on the BBC the spot where Lance Stroll parked his
>> car was specifically marked with tape to indicate that it was safe. Why
>> then did the stewards bring out the SC? Even a VSC was not really
>> necessary. Could it be because they wanted to close up the field to make
>> things more exciting?
>>
>> Coupled with the cock-up over Alonso’s penalty the FIA are looking pretty
>> incompetent.
>
> Commentators said something about the cars locator indicating it was
> "on track".

Not a good enough excuse. That's the "we had our heads up our arses
and are cherry picking the only bit of data that would support our
case" excuse. It was known that he was slowing down and would attempt
to pull off the track for ages, there was all kinds of evidence that
a visual confirmation of his position would be important. Time for
the Stroll feed to be pulled up, or the section of track that his dot
appears to be trundling round, not fucking cute cat videos.

And even then, if they're unsure, then there's always the VSC. That
does minimal damage when it's wrong as it can be undone as soon as
the mistake is realised.

Absolutely amateurish, it's almost as if they were unprepared for this
kind of thing needing to be dealt with.

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast

Re: Safety car - why?

<tva3s4$3hq06$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=20067&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20067

From: New...@Group.Name (News)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 13:07:16 -0400
 by: News - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 17:07 UTC

On 3/20/2023 12:39 PM, Phil Carmody wrote:
> XYXPDQ <qwrtz123@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 12:53:36 AM UTC-7, Sir Tim wrote:
>>> According to Alice Powell on the BBC the spot where Lance Stroll parked his
>>> car was specifically marked with tape to indicate that it was safe. Why
>>> then did the stewards bring out the SC? Even a VSC was not really
>>> necessary. Could it be because they wanted to close up the field to make
>>> things more exciting?
>>>
>>> Coupled with the cock-up over Alonso’s penalty the FIA are looking pretty
>>> incompetent.
>>
>> Commentators said something about the cars locator indicating it was
>> "on track".
>
> Not a good enough excuse. That's the "we had our heads up our arses
> and are cherry picking the only bit of data that would support our
> case" excuse. It was known that he was slowing down and would attempt
> to pull off the track for ages, there was all kinds of evidence that
> a visual confirmation of his position would be important. Time for
> the Stroll feed to be pulled up, or the section of track that his dot
> appears to be trundling round, not fucking cute cat videos.
>
> And even then, if they're unsure, then there's always the VSC. That
> does minimal damage when it's wrong as it can be undone as soon as
> the mistake is realised.
>
> Absolutely amateurish, it's almost as if they were unprepared for this
> kind of thing needing to be dealt with.
>
> Phil

Good for Netflix, though, so...

Re: Safety car - why?

<Vk5SL.1637147$iU59.1286756@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=20069&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20069

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 15:44:04 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 22:44 UTC

On 3/20/23 09:39, Phil Carmody wrote:
> XYXPDQ <qwrtz123@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 12:53:36 AM UTC-7, Sir Tim wrote:
>>> According to Alice Powell on the BBC the spot where Lance Stroll parked his
>>> car was specifically marked with tape to indicate that it was safe. Why
>>> then did the stewards bring out the SC? Even a VSC was not really
>>> necessary. Could it be because they wanted to close up the field to make
>>> things more exciting?
>>>
>>> Coupled with the cock-up over Alonso’s penalty the FIA are looking pretty
>>> incompetent.
>>
>> Commentators said something about the cars locator indicating it was
>> "on track".
>
> Not a good enough excuse. That's the "we had our heads up our arses
> and are cherry picking the only bit of data that would support our
> case" excuse. It was known that he was slowing down and would attempt
> to pull off the track for ages, there was all kinds of evidence that
> a visual confirmation of his position would be important. Time for
> the Stroll feed to be pulled up, or the section of track that his dot
> appears to be trundling round, not fucking cute cat videos.
>
> And even then, if they're unsure, then there's always the VSC. That
> does minimal damage when it's wrong as it can be undone as soon as
> the mistake is realised.
>
> Absolutely amateurish, it's almost as if they were unprepared for this
> kind of thing needing to be dealt with.
> Phil

For what little it is worth,
I'm agreeing with Sir Tim, XYX, and Phil.
FIA is not looking good right now.

Re: Safety car - why?

<xn0nzoqusa1um9t003@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=20086&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20086

From: bigbird....@gmail.com (Bigbird)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:39:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bigbird - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:39 UTC

Sir Tim wrote:

> According to Alice Powell on the BBC the spot where Lance Stroll
> parked his car was specifically marked with tape to indicate that it
> was safe. Why then did the stewards bring out the SC? Even a VSC was
> not really necessary. Could it be because they wanted to close up the
> field to make things more exciting?
>
> Coupled with the cock-up over Alonso’s penalty the FIA are looking
> pretty incompetent.

SNAFU