From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: j.c. jackson
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 15:26:42 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Mon, 2 May 2022 22:26 UTC

I knew Jackson was good, but I had no idea hies stats were this good.
Sustained excellence.

I was watching something on ESPN about Tyrann Mathieu signing with the
Saints when they put up a graphic of how special Mathieu was, 5th best
in passer rating against since 2018 or 2019, something like 64. What
stunned me was the list above him. Jackson led the list with a number in
the 40s and also all 5 were pretty spread out. I'd expect the top of a
list to be close, but it was not.

My google-fu is weak today, and I could not find the stats I was looking
for, but I did find

https://www.nfl.com/news/j-c-jackson-patriots-not-expected-to-use-franchise-tag-on-cb

"In four years in New England, Jackson netted a whopping 25
interceptions in four seasons after going undrafted, tied for the most
INTs in a player's first four NFL seasons since the 1970 merger with
Lester Hayes and Everson Walls. Since 2019, Jackson has allowed a 46.3
passer rating in coverage, the lowest in the NFL among players with at
least 100 targets. No other player has allowed a passer rating under
60.0 in that span, per Pro Football Focus."

The list I saw on ESPN had multiple players in the 50s, so there must be
some different years or different definition of targeted or something.

Also

https://www.testudotimes.com/2021/12/22/22849915/terps-in-the-nfl-j-c-jackson-continues-to-lead-nfl-in-pass-deflections-stefon-diggs-dj-moore

"Jackson is currently having one of the more memorable campaigns for a
New England cornerback in recent memory, compared to others at his
position. In 2014 when the Patriots won the Super Bowl, quarterbacks
completed 45% of their targets and had a 55.3 passer rating against
Darrelle Revis. In 2019, quarterbacks completed 50.5% of their targets
and had a 44.1 passer rating against Stephon Gilmore. Through 14 games
in 2021, quarterbacks have completed 44% of their targets and have a
29.4 passer rating against Jackson."

https://arizonasports.com/story/3066479/pff-espn-name-cornerback-j-c-jackson-an-ideal-fit-for-the-cardinals/

"Jackson has great ball skills as shown by the interceptions. He allowed
a 46.8 passer rating when targeted last season, which was the
fourth-best mark in the NFL."

and

"Most interceptions in the NFL since:
2018: J.C. Jackson (25)
2019: J.C. Jackson (22)
2020: J.C. Jackson (17)"

Eddie

Re: j.c. jackson

<jdd8cnFdo20U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2028&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2028

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: j.c. jackson
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 13:51:16 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 3 May 2022 17:51 UTC

Eddie Grove wrote:
> I knew Jackson was good, but I had no idea hies stats were this good.
> Sustained excellence.
>
> I was watching something on ESPN about Tyrann Mathieu signing with the
> Saints when they put up a graphic of how special Mathieu was, 5th best
> in passer rating against since 2018 or 2019, something like 64. What
> stunned me was the list above him. Jackson led the list with a number in
> the 40s and also all 5 were pretty spread out. I'd expect the top of a
> list to be close, but it was not.
>
> My google-fu is weak today, and I could not find the stats I was looking
> for, but I did find
>
> https://www.nfl.com/news/j-c-jackson-patriots-not-expected-to-use-franchise-tag-on-cb
>
> "In four years in New England, Jackson netted a whopping 25
> interceptions in four seasons after going undrafted, tied for the most
> INTs in a player's first four NFL seasons since the 1970 merger with
> Lester Hayes and Everson Walls. Since 2019, Jackson has allowed a 46.3
> passer rating in coverage, the lowest in the NFL among players with at
> least 100 targets. No other player has allowed a passer rating under
> 60.0 in that span, per Pro Football Focus."
>
> The list I saw on ESPN had multiple players in the 50s, so there must be
> some different years or different definition of targeted or something.
>
> Also
>
> https://www.testudotimes.com/2021/12/22/22849915/terps-in-the-nfl-j-c-jackson-continues-to-lead-nfl-in-pass-deflections-stefon-diggs-dj-moore
>
> "Jackson is currently having one of the more memorable campaigns for a
> New England cornerback in recent memory, compared to others at his
> position. In 2014 when the Patriots won the Super Bowl, quarterbacks
> completed 45% of their targets and had a 55.3 passer rating against
> Darrelle Revis. In 2019, quarterbacks completed 50.5% of their targets
> and had a 44.1 passer rating against Stephon Gilmore. Through 14 games
> in 2021, quarterbacks have completed 44% of their targets and have a
> 29.4 passer rating against Jackson."
>

> https://arizonasports.com/story/3066479/pff-espn-name-cornerback-j-c-jackson-an-ideal-fit-for-the-cardinals/
>
> "Jackson has great ball skills as shown by the interceptions. He allowed
> a 46.8 passer rating when targeted last season, which was the
> fourth-best mark in the NFL."
>
> and
>
> "Most interceptions in the NFL since:
> 2018: J.C. Jackson (25)
> 2019: J.C. Jackson (22)
> 2020: J.C. Jackson (17)"
>

> Eddie

And all this as an undrafted free agent. That's the part I just can't
get over.

--Robin