From: shaun.at...@gmail.com (~misfit~)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: [OT] NASCAR - (Spoilers for Chicago)
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 16:17:40 +1200
 by: ~misfit~ - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 04:17 UTC

So after watching the NASCAR race when Kimi jumped into the Project 91 car I decided that NASCAR
wasn't for me. Just a crashfest and lottery.

Then I heard (New Zealander) Shane van Gisbergen was going to drive the 91 car for one race I
thought I'd watch that race to hopefully get an idea how NASCAR drivers compare to Aussie V8
Supercar drivers...

He qualified 3rd, then in a weather-affected street race, after the last laps were done and they
were all on slicks SVG was sitting in 18th (due to a bunch of cars getting lucky with their pitstop
timing ahead of him).

Well! Let's just say that his 3rd fastest lap was faster than anyone else's fastest lap and, after
the race Chase Elliot said that SVG "is going to go home and tell all of his friends how bad we are".

He's the first guy in 60 years to win his inaugural NASCAR cup race. Kind of reminds me of Liam
Lawson this season in Japanese SuperFormula...

(NZ media coverage:
<https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2023/07/motorsport-us-social-media-reacts-to-kiwi-shane-van-gisbergen-s-stunning-nascar-victory.html>
) --
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Re: [OT] NASCAR - (Spoilers for Chicago)

<u80moi$1vnb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=20771&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20771

From: shaun.at...@gmail.com (~misfit~)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: Re: [OT] NASCAR - (Spoilers for Chicago)
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 20:54:41 +1200
 by: ~misfit~ - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 08:54 UTC

On 4/07/2023 4:17 pm, ~misfit~ wrote:
> So after watching the NASCAR race when Kimi jumped into the Project 91 car I decided that NASCAR
> wasn't for me. Just a crashfest and lottery.
>
> Then I heard (New Zealander) Shane van Gisbergen was going to drive the 91 car for one race I
> thought I'd watch that race to hopefully get an idea how NASCAR drivers compare to Aussie V8
> Supercar drivers...
>
> He qualified 3rd, then in a weather-affected street race, after the last

{laps}

Edit: PITSTOPS!

--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Re: [OT] NASCAR - (Spoilers for Chicago)

<hhYoM.10125$edH5.9802@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=20773&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#20773

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.sport.nascar
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 10:03:08 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 17:03 UTC

On 7/4/23 01:54, ~misfit~ wrote:
> On 4/07/2023 4:17 pm, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> So after watching the NASCAR race when Kimi jumped into the Project 91
>> car I decided that NASCAR wasn't for me. Just a crashfest and lottery.
>>
>> Then I heard (New Zealander) Shane van Gisbergen was going to drive
>> the 91 car for one race I thought I'd watch that race to hopefully get
>> an idea how NASCAR drivers compare to Aussie V8 Supercar drivers...
>> ---
>>
>> He's the first guy in 60 years to win his inaugural NASCAR cup race.
>> Kind of reminds me of Liam Lawson this season in Japanese SuperFormula...
>>
>> (NZ media coverage:
>> <https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2023/07/motorsport-us-social-media-reacts-to-kiwi-shane-van-gisbergen-s-stunning-nascar-victory.html> )

Did you read:
https://www.essentiallysports.com/nascar-news-despite-beefing-up-security-with-nine-hundred-guards-major-chicago-lapse-becomes-nascars-twitter-nightmare/

Despite Beefing Up Security With 900 Guards, Major Chicago Lapse Becomes
NASCAR’s Twitter Nightmare
Published 07/02/2023, 12:19 PM PDT
By NAMAN NEERAJ

Amid all the controversial speculations, NASCAR’s Chicago foray has
received enormous success. For its maiden street track run, NASCAR left
no stone unturned. As a connoisseur of safety, NASCAR installed catch
fences and FIA-approved concrete barriers keeping driver and public
safety in mind. Cordoning off major downtown streets to public vehicles,
the Chicago police and other emergency agencies geared up to handle the
massive crowds.

Beefing up the security quotient, NASCAR hired an additional private
security fleet for the smooth running of its Chicago Street Course
races. Even with the vast security measures in place, reports of
multiple breaches exposed a substantial security lapse.

So one Chicago resident joked:

WindyCity Weather and News
@WindyCityWxMan
·
Follow
#NASCARChicago #ChicagoScanner #Chicago

A report of unauthorized vehicles on the racecourse

Lake Shore Drive and Roosevelt

The police chief watching them get on the Track😂

“Wait until a couple Nascar drivers get carjacked tomorrow on pit row,
that will be classic Chicago.”