From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: The Athletic ranks Herbert as 5th best QB in league
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 13:11:35 -0400
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.13
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 17:11 UTC

https://theathletic.com/3443022/2022/07/25/nfl-best-quarterbacks-tiers/

NFL Quarterback Tiers 2022: Allen, Herbert and Burrow Make Tier 1 Debuts

Mike Sando
July 25, 2022

It’s a new era for Quarterback Tiers as 50 NFL coaches and executives
have shaken up the elite ranks for 2022, the ninth incarnation of my
annual survey.

Young guns Josh Allen, Justin Herbert and Joe Burrow have joined the
Tier 1 ranks, while a couple big names are conspicuously missing —
including a certain quarterback the Seattle Seahawks traded to the
Denver Broncos in a blockbuster deal recasting expectations for both
franchises.

The full 2022 Quarterback Tiers results are below for every veteran
starter. The results reflect voting from 50 NFL coaches and executives,
including six general managers, eight head coaches, 10 evaluators, 12
coordinators, six quarterback coaches and seven execs whose specialties
include analytics, game management and the salary cap. The remaining
ballot was put together by four members of one team’s personnel department.

The panel placed 35 veteran quarterbacks into one of five tiers, from
best (Tier 1) to worst (Tier 5). Quarterbacks were then ranked by
average vote and placed into tiers based on vote distribution, beginning
with Aaron Rodgers, whose 1.00 average vote reflected his status as a
unanimous Tier 1 selection.

The survey excludes rookies because voters have not seen them play in
the NFL. More than one quarterback is featured for teams with unsettled
starting jobs.

TIER 1

A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because
of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations. He has no real
holes in his game.

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Patrick Mahomes

3. Tom Brady

4. Josh Allen

5. Justin Herbert

Herbert joins a short list of quarterbacks to reach Tier 1 before age
25. Mahomes, Andrew Luck and Deshaun Watson did it after leading their
teams to the postseason and winning there. Herbert pulled it off with a
career 15-17 record as a starter and no postseason appearances.

“Man, I was so impressed with him live,” an offensive coach said. “He
has a chance to do something special. He’s the best pure thrower of the
three young guys (Herbert, Allen, Burrow). I didn’t realize he was that
athletic. One of our studs was chasing him down and he got around him
and was laughing at him the whole time. The competitive spirit, the
athletic ability, I saw a fricking stud in our game.”

Combine some of Burrow’s accuracy with some of Allen’s size/athleticism
and you’ve got Herbert.

“I think he’s the next guy, he is on his way, because the thing with him
is, he’s not quite the passer, but he’s kind of like a bigger version of
Aaron Rodgers,” another voter said. “When we played them, I was like,
‘Damn, I didn’t know this dude could move that well or he was this
accurate.’ Five, six, seven years down the road, I think Mahomes, Josh
Allen and Justin Herbert will be the guys we’re talking about, the big
three.”

No voter questioned whether Herbert could become a top-tier quarterback.
Some did want to see him drive more team success before letting him
borrow Dan Fouts’ gold jacket.

“It takes more time on task to truly be a top-tier guy,” a defensive
coach said. “With those guys, it is like going to ‘Top Gun Maverick’
every single weekend because the stunts they pull are the equivalent of
pulling 11 Gs and bending the air frame. It takes hours in that cockpit
to operate that and not kill yourself and your team and crash the thing.
When it is 17-0 at half, that is trying to land the thing in the Indian
Ocean with 50 mph winds and 40-foot waves rocking the flight deck, and
they manage to get it down or get it close.”

6. Joe Burrow

Rest are Tiers 2 through 5.

--Robin

Re: The Athletic ranks Herbert as 5th best QB in league

<8221e0d2-9108-4d13-ab7e-e19033e435cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2089&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2089

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 13:47:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 20:47 UTC

On Monday, July 25, 2022 at 10:11:40 AM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> [...]
> Allen and Justin Herbert will be the guys we’re talking about, the big
> three.”
>
> No voter questioned whether Herbert could become a top-tier quarterback.
> Some did want to see him drive more team success before letting him
> borrow Dan Fouts’ gold jacket.
>
> “It takes more time on task to truly be a top-tier guy,” a defensive
> coach said. “With those guys, it is like going to ‘Top Gun Maverick’
> every single weekend because the stunts they pull are the equivalent of
> pulling 11 Gs and bending the air frame. It takes hours in that cockpit
> to operate that and not kill yourself and your team and crash the thing.
> When it is 17-0 at half, that is trying to land the thing in the Indian
> Ocean with 50 mph winds and 40-foot waves rocking the flight deck, and
> they manage to get it down or get it close.”

Thanks for sharing this Robin. I think it's a pretty accurate assessment. Though I'd still compare Herbert more to a Brett Favre or Peyton Manning than an Aaron Rodgers.

Michael

Re: The Athletic ranks Herbert as 5th best QB in league

<jk9430Fa5igU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2090&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2090

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 23:07:09 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 03:07 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> [...]
>> borrow Dan Fouts’ gold jacket.
>>
>> “It takes more time on task to truly be a top-tier guy,” a defensive
>> coach said. “With those guys, it is like going to ‘Top Gun Maverick’
>> every single weekend because the stunts they pull are the equivalent of
>> pulling 11 Gs and bending the air frame. It takes hours in that cockpit
>> to operate that and not kill yourself and your team and crash the thing.
>> When it is 17-0 at half, that is trying to land the thing in the Indian
>> Ocean with 50 mph winds and 40-foot waves rocking the flight deck, and
>> they manage to get it down or get it close.”
>>

>> 6. Joe Burrow
>>

>> Rest are Tiers 2 through 5.
>>

>> --Robin
>

> Thanks for sharing this Robin. I think it's a pretty accurate assessment. Though I'd still compare Herbert more to a Brett Favre or Peyton Manning than an Aaron Rodgers.

It's pretty spectacular that Herbert is rated this highly after just two
seasons.

The Chargers have been so fortunate to have such great quarterbacks:
Hadl, Fouts, Rivers and now Herbert.

--Robin

Re: The Athletic ranks Herbert as 5th best QB in league

<tbnq7m$1o2o0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2091&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2091

From: maximush...@gmx.com (max headroom)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 21:22:05 -0700
 by: max headroom - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 04:22 UTC

In news:jk9430Fa5igU1@mid.individual.net, Robin Miller
<robin.miller@invalid.invalid> typed:

> It's pretty spectacular that Herbert is rated this highly after just two
> seasons.

> The Chargers have been so fortunate to have such great quarterbacks:
> Hadl, Fouts, Rivers and now Herbert.

> --Robin

And short-timers Tobin Rote, Stan Humphries, Drew Brees and Doug Flutie.