To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and, whatever you hit, call it the target.

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / ESPN.com (Barnwell): Weaknesses of best NFL teams in 2022: Achilles' heels for 14 Super Bowl contenders

SubjectAuthor
* ESPN.com (Barnwell): Weaknesses of best NFL teams in 2022: Achilles'phlash74
`- Re: ESPN.com (Barnwell): Weaknesses of best NFL teams in 2022:Robin Miller

1
ESPN.com (Barnwell): Weaknesses of best NFL teams in 2022: Achilles' heels for 14 Super Bowl contenders

<97e2eb1f-6770-4e50-a1ef-61f0648f6c95n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2107&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2107

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 08:52:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: ESPN.com (Barnwell): Weaknesses of best NFL teams in 2022: Achilles'
heels for 14 Super Bowl contenders
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 15:52 UTC

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/34356240/weaknesses-best-nfl-teams-2022-achilles-heels-14-super-bowl-contenders-including-packers-bills-rams-cowboys

(This story is for ESPN Insiders but I cribbed the Chargers' section from another site)

Chances to make the playoffs, per ESPN’s FPI: 60.6%

Achilles’ heel: Linebackers

The Chargers could have half a defense full of new starters after spending heavily to upgrade this offseason. Cornerback J.C. Jackson was the most prominent addition, but they also added legendary edge rusher Khalil Mack and defensive tackles Sebastian Joseph-Day and Austin Johnson. Their biggest remaining question is at linebacker, where they couldn’t find reliable solutions to slow down opposing rushing attacks.

Their most reliable linebacker a year ago was Kyzir White, but it should be telling that Los Angeles let the 2018 fourth-round pick leave in free agency for a modest deal with the Eagles. The organization also traded up in 2020 for linebacker Kenneth Murray, but the No. 23 overall pick simply hasn’t been an effective pro. An ankle injury sapped Murray’s speed a year ago, and the team hasn’t been able to trust him in key moments. He is not guaranteed a starting job and began training camp on the PUP list.

The only guy who might have a clear path to a regular role is Drue Tranquill, who seemed to have the coaching staff’s trust before suffering a left ankle injury at the end of the season. He could be joined by free agent addition Troy Reeder, who played for coach Brandon Staley with the Rams and should see snaps on early downs. Kyle Van Noy could also figure in the rotation, but I’m not sure the former Patriots standout has been an effective pro without Bill Belichick involved in the equation. This is a group in which Staley might need to be very thoughtful with spotting snaps in particular situations.

Re: ESPN.com (Barnwell): Weaknesses of best NFL teams in 2022: Achilles' heels for 14 Super Bowl contenders

<jld79qF70ceU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2108&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2108

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: ESPN.com (Barnwell): Weaknesses of best NFL teams in 2022:
Achilles' heels for 14 Super Bowl contenders
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 15:42:48 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 19:42 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/34356240/weaknesses-best-nfl-teams-2022-achilles-heels-14-super-bowl-contenders-including-packers-bills-rams-cowboys
>
> (This story is for ESPN Insiders but I cribbed the Chargers' section from another site)
>
> Chances to make the playoffs, per ESPN’s FPI: 60.6%
>
> Achilles’ heel: Linebackers
>
> The Chargers could have half a defense full of new starters after spending heavily to upgrade this offseason. Cornerback J.C. Jackson was the most prominent addition, but they also added legendary edge rusher Khalil Mack and defensive tackles Sebastian Joseph-Day and Austin Johnson. Their biggest remaining question is at linebacker, where they couldn’t find reliable solutions to slow down opposing rushing attacks.
>
> Their most reliable linebacker a year ago was Kyzir White, but it should be telling that Los Angeles let the 2018 fourth-round pick leave in free agency for a modest deal with the Eagles. The organization also traded up in 2020 for linebacker Kenneth Murray, but the No. 23 overall pick simply hasn’t been an effective pro. An ankle injury sapped Murray’s speed a year ago, and the team hasn’t been able to trust him in key moments. He is not guaranteed a starting job and began training camp on the PUP list.
>
> The only guy who might have a clear path to a regular role is Drue Tranquill, who seemed to have the coaching staff’s trust before suffering a left ankle injury at the end of the season. He could be joined by free agent addition Troy Reeder, who played for coach Brandon Staley with the Rams and should see snaps on early downs. Kyle Van Noy could also figure in the rotation, but I’m not sure the former Patriots standout has been an effective pro without Bill Belichick involved in the equation. This is a group in which Staley might need to be very thoughtful with spotting snaps in particular situations.

This is certainly true, but I still have hope that Murray will justify
his drafting.

--Robin