Ever feel like life was a game and you had the wrong instruction book?

sport / rec.autos.sport.f1 / Re: Drivers pass out and vomit in extreme heat of Qatar Grand Prix

SubjectAuthor
* Drivers pass out and vomit in extreme heat of Qatar Grand PrixMartin Harran
+- Re: Drivers pass out and vomit in extreme heat of Qatar Grand PrixXYXPDQ
+* Re: Drivers pass out and vomit in extreme heat of Qatar Grand PrixPhil Carmody
|`* Re: Drivers pass out and vomit in extreme heat of Qatar Grand PrixDan the Man
| `* Re: Drivers pass out and vomit in extreme heat of Qatar Grand PrixDarryl Johnson
|  `* Re: Drivers pass out andDumas Walker
|   `* Re: Drivers pass out andDarryl Johnson
|    `- Re: Drivers pass out andDumas Walker
`- Re: Drivers pass out and vomit in extreme heat of Qatar Grand PrixYazoo

1
Drivers pass out and vomit in extreme heat of Qatar Grand Prix

<auu7iilq4tfoutp8tashjv3un110cje45u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=21381&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21381

From: martinha...@gmail.com (Martin Harran)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: Drivers pass out and vomit in extreme heat of Qatar Grand Prix
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 14:11:22 +0100
 by: Martin Harran - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 13:11 UTC

From today's Times.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/drivers-pass-out-and-vomit-in-extreme-heat-of-qatar-grand-prix-j6jcxgpbj

It's paywalled so here are some extracts:

"McLaren's Lando Norris, who finished third, said the intense heat had
made it "much too dangerous to race" and that F1 had "found the limit"
of what drivers can withstand.

[…]

No driver was immune to the extreme heat. Lance Stroll admitted that
he was "passing out" in the car by the end of the race and after
struggling to get out of his Aston Martin, he stumbled into an
ambulance to receive some rapid hydration.

[…]

Alpine's Esteban Ocon admitted that he had been sick in his helmet
early on in the race.

"I've never had that in the past," the Frenchman said. "I've always
been able to do two race distances in the car, that's what I've always
been training for, but today it was just the hot air and how hot the
engine is."

[…]

Aston Martin's Fernando Alonso asked his mechanics to pour water over
him during a pitstop to cool him down. Max Verstappen put the race
among his top five most difficult grands prix, while George Russell
said he had been close to fainting in his Mercedes.

Oscar Piastri, who finished second for McLaren, could not even sit in
the cooldown room before going on to the podium, instead lying on the
floor utterly exhausted. Logan Sargent was forced to retire his
Williams after suffering from intense dehydration.

The other Williams driver, Alex Albon, was so exhausted that he needed
help to get out of his car at the end and went to the medical centre
to be treated for acute heat exposure.

Re: Drivers pass out and vomit in extreme heat of Qatar Grand Prix

<d8905dcd-54cf-4d8a-8306-0f5f7b64ac85n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=21385&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21385

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 08:24:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: qwrtz...@gmail.com (XYXPDQ)
 by: XYXPDQ - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 15:24 UTC

Um, they are going to change the date of future races there yes?

Re: Drivers pass out and vomit in extreme heat of Qatar Grand Prix

<87pm1gay2n.fsf@fatphil.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=21434&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21434

From: pc+use...@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 15:07:28 +0300
sha1:kaFsXb2z4lyq9M/M0wsx4hqd3iw=
 by: Phil Carmody - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 12:07 UTC

Martin Harran <martinharran@gmail.com> writes:
> Alpine's Esteban Ocon admitted that he had been sick in his helmet
> early on in the race.

Heat stroke can do that. Completely irresponsible. Twattery over tyre
life under the auspices of safety, but still continuing the race when
it's clearly dangerous. Idiots.

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast

Re: Drivers pass out and vomit in extreme heat of Qatar Grand Prix

<372d8c4a-2cae-448f-ad34-e6717434364an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=21435&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21435

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 07:42:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan...@yahoo.com (Dan the Man)
 by: Dan the Man - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 14:42 UTC

On Sunday, October 15, 2023 at 8:07:32 AM UTC-4, Phil Carmody wrote:
> Martin Harran <martin...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Alpine's Esteban Ocon admitted that he had been sick in his helmet
> > early on in the race.
> Heat stroke can do that. Completely irresponsible. Twattery over tyre
> life under the auspices of safety, but still continuing the race when
> it's clearly dangerous. Idiots.
>
> Phil
> --
> We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
> gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast
> aside childish remnants from the dawn of our civilization.
> -- NotSanguine on SoylentNews, after Eugen Weber in /The Western Tradition/
For all of their problems, one thing NASCAR does right is allow the use of "cool suits" in hot conditions. Surely the genii that run F1 could create something usable?

Dan

Re: Drivers pass out and vomit in extreme heat of Qatar Grand Prix

<ugh1o5$j3an$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=21436&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21436

From: darryl_j...@rogers.com (Darryl Johnson)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 11:52:55 -0400
 by: Darryl Johnson - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 15:52 UTC

On 2023-10-15 10:42 AM, Dan the Man wrote:
> On Sunday, October 15, 2023 at 8:07:32 AM UTC-4, Phil Carmody wrote:
>> Martin Harran <martin...@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Alpine's Esteban Ocon admitted that he had been sick in his helmet
>>> early on in the race.
>> Heat stroke can do that. Completely irresponsible. Twattery over tyre
>> life under the auspices of safety, but still continuing the race when
>> it's clearly dangerous. Idiots.
>>
>> Phil
>> --
>> We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
>> gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast
>> aside childish remnants from the dawn of our civilization.
>> -- NotSanguine on SoylentNews, after Eugen Weber in /The Western Tradition/
> For all of their problems, one thing NASCAR does right is allow the use of "cool suits" in hot conditions. Surely the genii that run F1 could create something usable?
>
> Dan

There's a lot more room in a NASCAR vehicle than in an F1 car. I'm not
sure where they'd put the water supply and pumps, especially as F1 is
quite weight sensitive (always looking to reduce weight, not add more in).

Re: Drivers pass out and

<697483833@f10.n1.z16969.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=21440&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21440

From: Dumas.Wa...@f10.n1.z16969.fidonet.org (Dumas Walker)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: Re: Drivers pass out and
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 09:29:00 +1300
 by: Dumas Walker - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 20:29 UTC

> > For all of their problems, one thing NASCAR does right is allow the use of
> "
> ol suits" in hot conditions. Surely the genii that run F1 could create
> somethi
> usable?
> >
> > Dan

> There's a lot more room in a NASCAR vehicle than in an F1 car. I'm not
> sure where they'd put the water supply and pumps, especially as F1 is
> quite weight sensitive (always looking to reduce weight, not add more in).

IndyCar also allows drivers the option of using a cool suit. I am not 100%
sure how it works, in their cases, but I don't know that it has an extra
water supply or pumps.

* SLMR 2.1a *

Re: Drivers pass out and

<ugjqpf$1imvi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=21441&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21441

From: darryl_j...@rogers.com (Darryl Johnson)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 13:12:35 -0400
 by: Darryl Johnson - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:12 UTC

On 2023-10-15 4:29 PM, Dumas Walker wrote:
>>> For all of their problems, one thing NASCAR does right is allow the use of
>> "
>> ol suits" in hot conditions. Surely the genii that run F1 could create
>> somethi
>> usable?
>>>
>>> Dan
>
>> There's a lot more room in a NASCAR vehicle than in an F1 car. I'm not
>> sure where they'd put the water supply and pumps, especially as F1 is
>> quite weight sensitive (always looking to reduce weight, not add more in).
>
> IndyCar also allows drivers the option of using a cool suit. I am not 100%
> sure how it works, in their cases, but I don't know that it has an extra
> water supply or pumps.
>

> * SLMR 2.1a *

The cool suit works by passing air through an ice-filled container and
then running the air through various tubes in the cool suit. There are a
number of other bits involved. With NASCAR being not quite as dependent
on aero as F1, they just use a naca duct to provide airflow while the
car is moving.

So, where to place the ice box in an F1 car, how to get airflow without
disturbing the aero balance/effectiveness, and does all the extra weight
contribute to loss of performance?

And all this for one or two events a season that might easily (well,
that's a relative term, isn't it?) be rescheduled for cooler dates.

Re: Drivers pass out and vomit in extreme heat of Qatar Grand Prix

<0FkuZRcPJyK0TZknq9EScGBA7mYG@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=21446&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21446

From: yaz...@myself.com (Yazoo)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 11:57:37 +0200
 by: Yazoo - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:57 UTC

On Mon, 09 Oct 2023 14:11:22 +0100, Martin Harran
<martinharran@gmail.com> wrote:

>From today's Times.
>
>https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/drivers-pass-out-and-vomit-in-extreme-heat-of-qatar-grand-prix-j6jcxgpbj
>
>It's paywalled so here are some extracts:

This is not cool any more (pun intended).
Such conditions endanger the health of drivers. Imagine if driver
faints and collides with others at 300+ kmph speed.

This is insane. Either find the solution for better cooling and better
hydrating of drivers or change the race date.

Re: Drivers pass out and

<697570456@f10.n1.z16975.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=21447&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#21447

From: Dumas.Wa...@f10.n1.z16975.fidonet.org (Dumas Walker)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:25:00 +1300
 by: Dumas Walker - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 20:25 UTC

> And all this for one or two events a season that might easily (well,
> that's a relative term, isn't it?) be rescheduled for cooler dates.

No doubt, that would probably be an easier fix. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * Anything good is either illegal, immoral or fattening.