The whole of life is futile unless you consider it as a sporting proposition.

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points Than Raiders But Lose

SubjectAuthor
* SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points Thanphlash74
`* Re: SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More PointsRobin Miller
 +* Re: SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points Than Raiders max headroom
 |`- Re: SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More PointsRobin Miller
 `* Re: SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Pointsphlash74
  `- Re: SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points Than Raiders max headroom

1
SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points Than Raiders But Lose

<a928aa63-d77b-4e2a-9056-114f98e6d2acn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2270&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2270

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 13:24:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points Than
Raiders But Lose
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 20:24 UTC

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2022/09/10/stephen-a-smith-feels-charges-will-score-more-points-than-raiders-but-lose

Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points Than Raiders But Lose
WILTON JACKSON SEP 9, 2022
Stephen A. Smith, one of ESPN’s more outspoken personalities, is known for his spirited and animated sports takes on the network’s First Take show.

However, as Smith finished up recording his show live in Detroit from WGPR, the first Black-owned television station in the country, he shared a rather interesting take about one AFC West team heading into the NFL’s slate of Week 1 games.

Molly Qerim, a host on the show, asked Smith which team in the division would score the most points in the opening week of the NFL season. Smith’s initial response was not a bad choice. “I’m gonna go with the Chargers,” Smith said. “Justin Herbert, Williams, Keenan Allen, period. Ain’t nobody stopping that offense.”

But right after his initial response, things got interesting when Qerim threw him a follow-up question, asking who would win the game between the Raiders and the Chargers?

“I don’t know, I’m gonna go with the Raiders, I’ll just go with that right now,” Smith said.

How the Chargers will be the highest scoring team in Week 1 but lose to the Raiders does not add up. To win the game, the Chargers would need to have the most points. That’s the simplest rule of the game, right?

But in a world in which Smith provides endless takes in a 24-hour sports cycle, he is still prone to make mistakes. Thing is, no one thought he would make a mistake as simple as this one.

_______________________

It's easy to clown on Stephen A. Smith, but if any team could figure out how to lose while scoring more points than their opponent, it absolutely would be the Chargers.

Smith classic where he previewed Chargers-Chiefs a few years back, saying he was looking forward to the matchup between Chargers TE Hunter Henry (who was out for the year with an injury) and Chiefs LB Derrick Johnson (who had signed with the Raiders that year and been released): https://ftw.usatoday..com/2018/12/espn-stephen-a-smith-chargers-chiefs-mistakes-first-take-video

Michael

Re: SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points Than Raiders But Lose

<jo7cmpFkjksU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2271&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2271

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points
Than Raiders But Lose
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 20:27:04 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 00:27 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2022/09/10/stephen-a-smith-feels-charges-will-score-more-points-than-raiders-but-lose
>
> Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points Than Raiders But Lose
> WILTON JACKSON SEP 9, 2022
> Stephen A. Smith, one of ESPN’s more outspoken personalities, is known for his spirited and animated sports takes on the network’s First Take show.
>
> However, as Smith finished up recording his show live in Detroit from WGPR, the first Black-owned television station in the country, he shared a rather interesting take about one AFC West team heading into the NFL’s slate of Week 1 games.
>
> Molly Qerim, a host on the show, asked Smith which team in the division would score the most points in the opening week of the NFL season. Smith’s initial response was not a bad choice. “I’m gonna go with the Chargers,” Smith said. “Justin Herbert, Williams, Keenan Allen, period. Ain’t nobody stopping that offense.”
>
> But right after his initial response, things got interesting when Qerim threw him a follow-up question, asking who would win the game between the Raiders and the Chargers?
>
> “I don’t know, I’m gonna go with the Raiders, I’ll just go with that right now,” Smith said.
>
> How the Chargers will be the highest scoring team in Week 1 but lose to the Raiders does not add up. To win the game, the Chargers would need to have the most points. That’s the simplest rule of the game, right?
>
> But in a world in which Smith provides endless takes in a 24-hour sports cycle, he is still prone to make mistakes. Thing is, no one thought he would make a mistake as simple as this one.
>
> _______________________
>
> It's easy to clown on Stephen A. Smith, but if any team could figure out how to lose while scoring more points than their opponent, it absolutely would be the Chargers.
>
> Smith classic where he previewed Chargers-Chiefs a few years back, saying he was looking forward to the matchup between Chargers TE Hunter Henry (who was out for the year with an injury) and Chiefs LB Derrick Johnson (who had signed with the Raiders that year and been released): https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/12/espn-stephen-a-smith-chargers-chiefs-mistakes-first-take-video
>
> Michael

Even today was closed than it should have been, with the Chargers having
three INTs and six sacks.

--Robin

Re: SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points Than Raiders But Lose

<tflv8j$22jp3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2272&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2272

From: maximush...@gmx.com (max headroom)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points Than Raiders But Lose
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 17:41:02 -0700
 by: max headroom - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 00:41 UTC

In news:jo7cmpFkjksU1@mid.individual.net, Robin Miller
<robin.miller@invalid.invalid> typed:

> Even today was closed than it should have been, with the Chargers having
> three INTs and six sacks.
>
> --Robin

I believe it was the three INTs that cost the Raiders the victory. They're scary
good with Waller, Renfro and now Adams. The Chargers' rush defense may be better
than last year, but they still gave up big runs.

If Allen goes on IR, I hope they activate Bandy.

Re: SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points Than Raiders But Lose

<jo7i6gFlc25U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2274&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2274

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Than Raiders But Lose
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 22:00:47 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 02:00 UTC

max headroom wrote:
> In news:jo7cmpFkjksU1@mid.individual.net, Robin Miller
> <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> typed:
>
>> Even today was closed than it should have been, with the Chargers having
>> three INTs and six sacks.
>>
>> --Robin
>
> I believe it was the three INTs that cost the Raiders the victory. They're scary
> good with Waller, Renfro and now Adams. The Chargers' rush defense may be better
> than last year, but they still gave up big runs.
>
> If Allen goes on IR, I hope they activate Bandy.

So far the Chargers and Allen don't think the injury is too bad, but I
don't imagine there's any way he plays on Thursday night.

--Robin

Re: SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points Than Raiders But Lose

<e3e400d9-6735-462c-a953-4de1f16e8aabn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2276&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2276

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 07:58:08 -0700 (PDT)
Than Raiders But Lose
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:58 UTC

On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 5:27:07 PM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> phlash74 wrote:
> > https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2022/09/10/stephen-a-smith-feels-charges-will-score-more-points-than-raiders-but-lose
> >
> > Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points Than Raiders But Lose
> > WILTON JACKSON SEP 9, 2022
> > Stephen A. Smith, one of ESPN’s more outspoken personalities, is known for his spirited and animated sports takes on the network’s First Take show.
> >
> > However, as Smith finished up recording his show live in Detroit from WGPR, the first Black-owned television station in the country, he shared a rather interesting take about one AFC West team heading into the NFL’s slate of Week 1 games.
> >
> > Molly Qerim, a host on the show, asked Smith which team in the division would score the most points in the opening week of the NFL season. Smith’s initial response was not a bad choice. “I’m gonna go with the Chargers,” Smith said. “Justin Herbert, Williams, Keenan Allen, period. Ain’t nobody stopping that offense.”
> >
> > But right after his initial response, things got interesting when Qerim threw him a follow-up question, asking who would win the game between the Raiders and the Chargers?
> >
> > “I don’t know, I’m gonna go with the Raiders, I’ll just go with that right now,” Smith said.
> >
> > How the Chargers will be the highest scoring team in Week 1 but lose to the Raiders does not add up. To win the game, the Chargers would need to have the most points. That’s the simplest rule of the game, right?
> >
> > But in a world in which Smith provides endless takes in a 24-hour sports cycle, he is still prone to make mistakes. Thing is, no one thought he would make a mistake as simple as this one.
> >
> > _______________________
> >
> > It's easy to clown on Stephen A. Smith, but if any team could figure out how to lose while scoring more points than their opponent, it absolutely would be the Chargers.
> >
> > Smith classic where he previewed Chargers-Chiefs a few years back, saying he was looking forward to the matchup between Chargers TE Hunter Henry (who was out for the year with an injury) and Chiefs LB Derrick Johnson (who had signed with the Raiders that year and been released): https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/12/espn-stephen-a-smith-chargers-chiefs-mistakes-first-take-video
> >
> > Michael
> >
> Even today was closed than it should have been, with the Chargers having
> three INTs and six sacks.
>
> --Robin

Believe me, when the Raiders got the ball back down 5, I was mentally bracing myself for the loss. Luckily the defense stepped up and made the plays when they had to. Saw a stat floating around that the Chargers had over 300 yards of offense and 24 points on their first six drives, with just 39 yards and 0 points on their last four drives combined. Obviously Keenan getting hurt was a factor, but Williams was invisible the whole game as well.

Michael

Re: SI.com: Stephen A. Smith Feels Chargers Will Score More Points Than Raiders But Lose

<tfnj77$29jag$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2277&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2277

From: maximush...@gmx.com (max headroom)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 08:28:00 -0700
 by: max headroom - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:28 UTC

In news:e3e400d9-6735-462c-a953-4de1f16e8aabn@googlegroups.com, phlash74
<phlash74@msn.com> typed:

> On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 5:27:07 PM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:

>> Even today was closed than it should have been, with the Chargers having
>> three INTs and six sacks.

>> --Robin

> Believe me, when the Raiders got the ball back down 5, I was mentally bracing
> myself for the loss....

Same here.

> ... Luckily the defense stepped up and made the plays when
> they had to. Saw a stat floating around that the Chargers had over 300 yards
> of offense and 24 points on their first six drives, with just 39 yards and 0
> points on their last four drives combined....

Very conservative, clock-killing "prevent" offense, the opposite of Staley's
calls last year.

> ... Obviously Keenan getting hurt was a factor, but Williams was invisible the
> whole game as well.

I believe he had two targets in the 4th quarter.