From: alreadyd...@hotmail.com (*ernie)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Subject: Long-awaited moment beckons for Koosman
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 15:20:11 -0400
 by: *ernie - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 19:20 UTC

Retiring Koosman's number is something that should have been done
years ago. When it mattered most, Koosman always came through.

https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/jerry-koosman-earns-praise-from-teammates

NEW YORK -- Aug. 28 will be a special day for former Major Leaguer
Jerry Koosman when the Mets will retire his number, 36, at Citi Field.

Koosman, 78, will become the third player in Mets history to have his
number retired. Tom Seaver (41) and Mike Piazza (31) are the others.

“It’s quite an honor, and I’m quite humbled by it,” Koosman said via
telephone. “It’s humbling to think that the Mets thought that much of
me.”

Koosman earned that honor. During his 12 years with New York from
1967-78, Koosman won 140 games, posted a 3.09 ERA and had one 20-win
season. He helped the Mets upset the Orioles in the 1969 World Series
and the Reds four years later in the National League Championship
Series. If he had a better offense behind him, Koosman would have won
more games. In 1977, he lost 20 games but with a respectable 3.49 ERA.

“I always thought when the going got tough, I wanted Jerry Koosman on
the mound,” former Mets teammate Ed Kranepool said. “You look at all
the important games we had, he was always one of the starting
pitchers, whether it be the second game of the World Series or whether
it would be a game against the Cubs [in 1969] where he knocked Ron
Santo down. Koosman put an end to those knockdown pitches and he was
the guy who would do it.”

Former teammate Ron Swoboda said while Seaver was the ace of the
staff, Koosman was 1A. Koosman was at his best in the postseason.

In Game 2 of the 1969 World Series, Koosman was the stopper. He held
the Orioles hitless until the bottom of the seventh inning, when Paul
Blair led off with a single. The Mets held on, 2-1, to tie the series
at one.

Three games later, the Mets were World Series champions, thanks to
Koosman, who pitched a complete game at Shea Stadium. Catcher Jerry
Grote, in an image cemented in Mets lore, leaped into Koosman’s arms
after the final out.

ernie k.
alreadydeleted9@hotmail.com

Re: Long-awaited moment beckons for Koosman

<b06b1f36-f4dd-442a-a273-f30b5620ddc5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2340&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2340

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 04:48:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Long-awaited moment beckons for Koosman
From: bhasselb...@gmail.com (Hass)
 by: Hass - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 11:48 UTC

On Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 2:20:27 PM UTC-5, *ernie wrote:
> Retiring Koosman's number is something that should have been done
> years ago. When it mattered most, Koosman always came through.
>

> https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/jerry-koosman-earns-praise-from-teammates
>
> NEW YORK -- Aug. 28 will be a special day for former Major Leaguer
> Jerry Koosman when the Mets will retire his number, 36, at Citi Field.
>
> Koosman, 78, will become the third player in Mets history to have his
> number retired. Tom Seaver (41) and Mike Piazza (31) are the others.
>
> “It’s quite an honor, and I’m quite humbled by it,” Koosman said via
> telephone. “It’s humbling to think that the Mets thought that much of
> me.”
>
> Koosman earned that honor. During his 12 years with New York from
> 1967-78, Koosman won 140 games, posted a 3.09 ERA and had one 20-win
> season. He helped the Mets upset the Orioles in the 1969 World Series
> and the Reds four years later in the National League Championship
> Series. If he had a better offense behind him, Koosman would have won
> more games. In 1977, he lost 20 games but with a respectable 3.49 ERA.
>
> “I always thought when the going got tough, I wanted Jerry Koosman on
> the mound,” former Mets teammate Ed Kranepool said. “You look at all
> the important games we had, he was always one of the starting
> pitchers, whether it be the second game of the World Series or whether
> it would be a game against the Cubs [in 1969] where he knocked Ron
> Santo down. Koosman put an end to those knockdown pitches and he was
> the guy who would do it.”
>
> Former teammate Ron Swoboda said while Seaver was the ace of the
> staff, Koosman was 1A. Koosman was at his best in the postseason.
>
> In Game 2 of the 1969 World Series, Koosman was the stopper. He held
> the Orioles hitless until the bottom of the seventh inning, when Paul
> Blair led off with a single. The Mets held on, 2-1, to tie the series
> at one.
>
> Three games later, the Mets were World Series champions, thanks to
> Koosman, who pitched a complete game at Shea Stadium. Catcher Jerry
> Grote, in an image cemented in Mets lore, leaped into Koosman’s arms
> after the final out.
>
> ernie k.
> already...@hotmail.com

Great time to be a fan when we had Seaver/Koosman/Matlack starting.

Re: Long-awaited moment beckons for Koosman

<tehcighvjdbf08o086kha89jsqpgbkkr4a@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2342&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2342

From: alreadyd...@hotmail.com (*ernie)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 21 13:33:33 UTC
 by: *ernie - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 13:33 UTC

On Wed, 25 Aug 2021 04:48:04 -0700 (PDT), Hass <bhasselback@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 2:20:27 PM UTC-5, *ernie wrote:
>> Retiring Koosman's number is something that should have been done
>> years ago. When it mattered most, Koosman always came through.
>>

>> https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/jerry-koosman-earns-praise-from-teammates
>>
>> NEW YORK -- Aug. 28 will be a special day for former Major Leaguer
>> Jerry Koosman when the Mets will retire his number, 36, at Citi Field.
>>
>> Koosman, 78, will become the third player in Mets history to have his
>> number retired. Tom Seaver (41) and Mike Piazza (31) are the others.
>>
>> “It’s quite an honor, and I’m quite humbled by it,” Koosman said via
>> telephone. “It’s humbling to think that the Mets thought that much of
>> me.”
>>
>> Koosman earned that honor. During his 12 years with New York from
>> 1967-78, Koosman won 140 games, posted a 3.09 ERA and had one 20-win
>> season. He helped the Mets upset the Orioles in the 1969 World Series
>> and the Reds four years later in the National League Championship
>> Series. If he had a better offense behind him, Koosman would have won
>> more games. In 1977, he lost 20 games but with a respectable 3.49 ERA.
>>
>> “I always thought when the going got tough, I wanted Jerry Koosman on
>> the mound,” former Mets teammate Ed Kranepool said. “You look at all
>> the important games we had, he was always one of the starting
>> pitchers, whether it be the second game of the World Series or whether
>> it would be a game against the Cubs [in 1969] where he knocked Ron
>> Santo down. Koosman put an end to those knockdown pitches and he was
>> the guy who would do it.”
>>
>> Former teammate Ron Swoboda said while Seaver was the ace of the
>> staff, Koosman was 1A. Koosman was at his best in the postseason.
>>
>> In Game 2 of the 1969 World Series, Koosman was the stopper. He held
>> the Orioles hitless until the bottom of the seventh inning, when Paul
>> Blair led off with a single. The Mets held on, 2-1, to tie the series
>> at one.
>>
>> Three games later, the Mets were World Series champions, thanks to
>> Koosman, who pitched a complete game at Shea Stadium. Catcher Jerry
>> Grote, in an image cemented in Mets lore, leaped into Koosman’s arms
>> after the final out.
>>
>> ernie k.
>> already...@hotmail.com
>
>Great time to be a fan when we had Seaver/Koosman/Matlack starting.

Our '69 squad had Seaver/Koosman/Gentry. Nolan Ryan was a spot starter
who came into his own in the post-season. As great as that rotation
was, when everything was on the line, the ball belonged in Koosman's
hands.