From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Injury updates
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 13:35:56 -0400
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.13
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 17:35 UTC

Daniel Popper @danielrpopper

On Rashawn Slater, can confirm he has a torn biceps, as Tom Pelissero
first reported. Likely to miss the season, but hearing clear timeline is
still TBD.

1:19 PM · Sep 26, 2022

So to recap for #Chargers...

• QB: fractured rib cartilage
• All-Pro center: knee injury
• All-Pro LT likely to miss season with torn biceps
• No. 1 receiver has strained hamstring
• Top pass rusher has groin injury
• Top CB not responding as expected from ankle surgery

Re: Injury updates

<9eb2da52-0af0-4025-bbea-7f48f95b9689n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2373&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2373

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 10:53:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Injury updates
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 17:53 UTC

On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 10:36:00 AM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> Daniel Popper @danielrpopper
>
> On Rashawn Slater, can confirm he has a torn biceps, as Tom Pelissero
> first reported. Likely to miss the season, but hearing clear timeline is
> still TBD.
>
> 1:19 PM · Sep 26, 2022
>

> So to recap for #Chargers...
>
> • QB: fractured rib cartilage
> • All-Pro center: knee injury
> • All-Pro LT likely to miss season with torn biceps
> • No. 1 receiver has strained hamstring
> • Top pass rusher has groin injury
> • Top CB not responding as expected from ankle surgery

Amazing how fast a promising season can go off the rails. My guess is Lombardi gets thrown under the bus this offseason and Staley gets on the hot seat for next year.

Michael

Re: Injury updates

<jpe832FnhdoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2374&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2374

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 14:07:28 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 18:07 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 10:36:00 AM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
>> Daniel Popper @danielrpopper
>>
>> On Rashawn Slater, can confirm he has a torn biceps, as Tom Pelissero
>> first reported. Likely to miss the season, but hearing clear timeline is
>> still TBD.
>>
>> 1:19 PM · Sep 26, 2022
>>

>> So to recap for #Chargers...
>>
>> • QB: fractured rib cartilage
>> • All-Pro center: knee injury
>> • All-Pro LT likely to miss season with torn biceps
>> • No. 1 receiver has strained hamstring
>> • Top pass rusher has groin injury
>> • Top CB not responding as expected from ankle surgery
>
> Amazing how fast a promising season can go off the rails. My guess is Lombardi gets thrown under the bus this offseason and Staley gets on the hot seat for next year.
>
> Michael

Yeah. <sigh> Re Lombardi, other teams' offenses just seem so much more
creative than the Chargers'. I thought the Chargers were greatly
out-coached yesterday, in addition to all the injuries. I'm even
starting to think that Staley is losing his luster.

--Robin

Re: Injury updates

<98f83093-ab23-4954-85a0-89ddb0bebd03n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2377&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2377

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 11:31:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 18:31 UTC

On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 11:07:32 AM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> phlash74 wrote:
> > On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 10:36:00 AM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> >> Daniel Popper @danielrpopper
> >>
> >> On Rashawn Slater, can confirm he has a torn biceps, as Tom Pelissero
> >> first reported. Likely to miss the season, but hearing clear timeline is
> >> still TBD.
> >>
> >> 1:19 PM · Sep 26, 2022
> >>

> >> So to recap for #Chargers...
> >>
> >> • QB: fractured rib cartilage
> >> • All-Pro center: knee injury
> >> • All-Pro LT likely to miss season with torn biceps
> >> • No. 1 receiver has strained hamstring
> >> • Top pass rusher has groin injury
> >> • Top CB not responding as expected from ankle surgery
> >
> > Amazing how fast a promising season can go off the rails. My guess is Lombardi gets thrown under the bus this offseason and Staley gets on the hot seat for next year.
> >
> > Michael
> >
> Yeah. <sigh> Re Lombardi, other teams' offenses just seem so much more
> creative than the Chargers'. I thought the Chargers were greatly
> out-coached yesterday, in addition to all the injuries. I'm even
> starting to think that Staley is losing his luster.
>
> --Robin

He's getting killed on the radio talk shows out here in LA this morning for leaving Herbert in, both last week after getting injured and in the final drive yesterday when they were down 4 TDs with less than 5 minutes to play. It also seems like he's gone completely away from his aggressiveness on 4th down this season, maybe the (largely unfounded imo) criticism got to him.

Michael

Re: Injury updates

<jpehe1Fovc1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2380&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2380

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 16:46:54 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 20:46 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 11:07:32 AM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
>> phlash74 wrote:

>>> Amazing how fast a promising season can go off the rails. My guess is Lombardi gets thrown under the bus this offseason and Staley gets on the hot seat for next year.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>
>> Yeah. <sigh> Re Lombardi, other teams' offenses just seem so much more
>> creative than the Chargers'. I thought the Chargers were greatly
>> out-coached yesterday, in addition to all the injuries. I'm even
>> starting to think that Staley is losing his luster.
>>
>> --Robin
>
> He's getting killed on the radio talk shows out here in LA this morning for leaving Herbert in, both last week after getting injured and in the final drive yesterday when they were down 4 TDs with less than 5 minutes to play. It also seems like he's gone completely away from his aggressiveness on 4th down this season, maybe the (largely unfounded imo) criticism got to him.
>
> Michael

Yes, the failure to go for it on 4th down is quite noticeable, and
strange given last season's experience. When questioned once, he said it
was because this year's team is different. Dunno if I believe that.

--Robin

Re: Injury updates

<87y1u5g5bu.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2381&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2381

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 15:04:53 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 22:04 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> writes:

> phlash74 wrote:

>>> Yeah. <sigh> Re Lombardi, other teams' offenses just seem so much more
>>> creative than the Chargers'. I thought the Chargers were greatly
>>> out-coached yesterday, in addition to all the injuries. I'm even
>>> starting to think that Staley is losing his luster.
>>>
>>> --Robin
>>
>> He's getting killed on the radio talk shows out here in LA this
>> morning for leaving Herbert in, both last week after getting injured
>> and in the final drive yesterday when they were down 4 TDs with less
>> than 5 minutes to play. It also seems like he's gone completely away
>> from his aggressiveness on 4th down this season, maybe the (largely
>> unfounded imo) criticism got to him.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Yes, the failure to go for it on 4th down is quite noticeable, and
> strange given last season's experience. When questioned once, he said
> it was because this year's team is different. Dunno if I believe that.
>
> --Robin

Staley has said that going for it on 4th last year was less about
analytics than about showing the team he believed in them. I don't know
if he's lying about that or is overly sensitive to criticism. Now he has
swiveled to punting to show the defense he believes in them. IMO the
change of attitude is because he now has the players necessary to
implement his defensive schemes.

Staley is a defensive coach. As group, they prefer to bet on their
defenses rather than betting on their offenses. Utterly crazy in the
modern NFL.

Perhaps, like McCarthy, he lied when he said he studied analytics.

I think Herbert should not even have been active. They gave him a pain
injection Thursday and he was still unable to practice. Leaving the
decision to Herbert is coaching malpractice. Players will always say
they can play.

On the plus side, Coach Payton next year is one step closer to happening.
Assuming Herbert survives, that is.

Re: Injury updates

<74496cbe-6db4-460a-929c-a95177304e15n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2383&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2383

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 16:18:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 23:18 UTC

On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 3:04:56 PM UTC-7, Eddie Grove wrote:
> Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> writes:
>
> > phlash74 wrote:

> >> He's getting killed on the radio talk shows out here in LA this
> >> morning for leaving Herbert in, both last week after getting injured
> >> and in the final drive yesterday when they were down 4 TDs with less
> >> than 5 minutes to play. It also seems like he's gone completely away
> >> from his aggressiveness on 4th down this season, maybe the (largely
> >> unfounded imo) criticism got to him.
> >>
> >> Michael
> >>

> > Yes, the failure to go for it on 4th down is quite noticeable, and
> > strange given last season's experience. When questioned once, he said
> > it was because this year's team is different. Dunno if I believe that.
> >
> > --Robin
> Staley has said that going for it on 4th last year was less about
> analytics than about showing the team he believed in them. I don't know
> if he's lying about that or is overly sensitive to criticism. Now he has
> swiveled to punting to show the defense he believes in them. IMO the
> change of attitude is because he now has the players necessary to
> implement his defensive schemes.
>
> Staley is a defensive coach. As group, they prefer to bet on their
> defenses rather than betting on their offenses. Utterly crazy in the
> modern NFL.
>
> Perhaps, like McCarthy, he lied when he said he studied analytics.
>
> I think Herbert should not even have been active. They gave him a pain
> injection Thursday and he was still unable to practice. Leaving the
> decision to Herbert is coaching malpractice. Players will always say
> they can play.
>
> On the plus side, Coach Payton next year is one step closer to happening.
> Assuming Herbert survives, that is.

To me, being aggressive on 4th down shows trust in both your offense AND your defense, in that you're telling your defense if the offense doesn't convert you trust them to keep the other team out of the endzone or to get the ball back for the offense. There are of course plenty of game situations where punting or attempting a field goal is the better move, but overall I'd prefer a coach who leans to the aggressive side like Staley was last year.

Michael