From: alreadyd...@hotmail.com (*ernie)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Subject: Buck Showalter targets titles in introductory news conference
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 23:28:21 -0500
 by: *ernie - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 04:28 UTC

Buck Showalter is 24th on the all-time wins list for managers. He's
managed three different teams to the postseason and is a three-time
Manager of the Year. He's also never won a World Series -- and knows
what the expectations will be for a Mets team that hasn't made the
playoffs since 2016 but has spent big money this off season and
currently owns the highest payroll in the majors.

"The job description here isn't to be competitive or try to win more
games than you lose. It's to be the last team standing," Showalter
said Tuesday as he was officially introduced as the new Mets manager.
"And not just once."

Only Dusty Baker and Gene Mauch have won more games without winning a
World Series than Showalter, who began his managerial career with the
Yankees in 1992, when he was 36 years old. He's now 65. The Mets
finished a disappointing 77-85 in 2021 after leading the NL East in
early August and signed Max Scherzer, Starling Marte, Eduardo Escobar
and Mark Canha in free agency to create World Series hopes for 2022.

"It's not something that's going to define my life, but I can tell you
this, it does wake me up every day now," Showalter said about winning
a World Series. He emphasized that he knows that sounds selfish and
that the goal is make everyone in the Mets organization successful and
impact lives around him. But he knows the ultimate task is to win.
That's the assignment from owner Steve Cohen, team president Sandy
Alderson and general manager Billy Eppler.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32918330/new-york-mets-manager-buck-showalter-targets-titles-introductory-news-conference
ernie k.
alreadydeleted9@hotmail.com

sport / alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets / Buck Showalter targets titles in introductory news conference