Never play pool with anyone named "Fats".

sport / alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets / Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sport - it should be gone by now

SubjectAuthor
* If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sport -Popping Mad
`* Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sport*ernie
 +* Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sportPopping Mad
 |`- Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sportFan
 `* Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sporttmp
  +- Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sportPopping Mad
  +- Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sportPopping Mad
  `- Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sport - it shoulRuben Safir

1
If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sport - it should be gone by now

<sv7sg8$1rb$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2487&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2487

From: rain...@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Subject: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sport -
it should be gone by now
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 07:07:36 -0500
 by: Popping Mad - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:07 UTC

NYTIMES

Get ready to be stuffed with playoff teams: 14 in all, representing
nearly half of the 30-team league. In the owners’ proposal, the
top-seeded team in each league would receive a first-round bye, while
the other two division winners and the top wild card team would choose
their opponents from among the lower three wild cards.

A best-of-three series would follow, with the higher-seeded team hosting
all games. That would lead into the division series, league championship
series and World Series. The players have agreed to expand the playoffs,
too, though they are calling for 12 teams instead of 14.

crap.

I am happy to have lived through the 1980's Mets-Cardinal rivalries -
winner take all seasons. They were exciting and we will never see
anything like them again.

Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sport - it should be gone by now

<svdv0v$s2t$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2489&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2489

From: alreadyd...@hotmail.com (*ernie)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
- it should be gone by now
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 14:28:31 -0500
 by: *ernie - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 19:28 UTC

On 2/24/2022 7:07 AM, Popping Mad wrote:
> NYTIMES
>
> Get ready to be stuffed with playoff teams: 14 in all, representing
> nearly half of the 30-team league. In the owners’ proposal, the
> top-seeded team in each league would receive a first-round bye, while
> the other two division winners and the top wild card team would choose
> their opponents from among the lower three wild cards.
>
> A best-of-three series would follow, with the higher-seeded team hosting
> all games. That would lead into the division series, league championship
> series and World Series. The players have agreed to expand the playoffs,
> too, though they are calling for 12 teams instead of 14.
>

> crap.
>
> I am happy to have lived through the 1980's Mets-Cardinal rivalries -
> winner take all seasons. They were exciting and we will never see
> anything like them again.

I remember as a kid it was just two teams, NL vs AL. The regular season
was always exciting.

Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sport - it should be gone by now

<svebfg$ma4$2@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2491&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2491

From: rain...@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
- it should be gone by now
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 18:00:01 -0500
 by: Popping Mad - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 23:00 UTC

On 2/26/22 14:28, *ernie wrote:

> I remember as a kid it was just two teams, NL vs AL. The regular season
> was always exciting.

Baseball has turned into a second rate sport like hockey and college
basektball. They don't care, BTW, if they blow away the season with a 7
level playoff format, the regular season is now just a footnote.

Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sport - it should be gone by now

<f8e7079e-7ef9-4dbd-9223-df31f566b86en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2492&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2492

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 05:49:16 -0800 (PST)
- it should be gone by now
From: tpfei...@gmail.com (tmp)
 by: tmp - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 13:49 UTC

On Saturday, February 26, 2022 at 2:28:33 PM UTC-5, *ernie wrote:
> On 2/24/2022 7:07 AM, Popping Mad wrote:
> > NYTIMES
> >
> > Get ready to be stuffed with playoff teams: 14 in all, representing
> > nearly half of the 30-team league. In the owners’ proposal, the
> > top-seeded team in each league would receive a first-round bye, while
> > the other two division winners and the top wild card team would choose
> > their opponents from among the lower three wild cards.
> >
> > A best-of-three series would follow, with the higher-seeded team hosting
> > all games. That would lead into the division series, league championship
> > series and World Series. The players have agreed to expand the playoffs,
> > too, though they are calling for 12 teams instead of 14.
> >

> > crap.
> >
> > I am happy to have lived through the 1980's Mets-Cardinal rivalries -
> > winner take all seasons. They were exciting and we will never see
> > anything like them again.
> >
> I remember as a kid it was just two teams, NL vs AL. The regular season
> was always exciting.

Yeah, I remember the 10 team leagues (no divisions, no playoffs), and the Mets finishing 10th every year in the NL. Then when Leo Durocher was hired as Cubs manager in 1966, after they had finished 8th the year before, he famously declared that the Cubs "are not an 8th place team". And he was right, they finished 10th in his first season there, allowing the Mets to finally escape the basement. And there was much more to come in the Durocher-Mets saga, as we know.

I don't like the expanded playoffs, not to the degree they are proposing. It's too much, to say the least. But the truth is that there has never been a time when the post season of any major sport has gotten shorter (if there has been, please tell me). They always get longer, and of course it's for money. But don't worry, we as fans will be getting plenty out of this new deal too; the lead items are higher ticket prices, higher TV bills, the NL game corrupted by the DH, and even more 4 hour games that go to midnight or beyond (partially due to increased TV ad time). You would think that at some point, we who pay the bills for for these guys would get some consideration, but of course, you would be thinking wrong. If that ever does happen, please let me know, but give me a chance to sit down first.

Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sport - it should be gone by now

<svgmlv$rhv$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2494&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2494

From: rain...@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
- it should be gone by now
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 15:23:28 -0500
 by: Popping Mad - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 20:23 UTC

On 2/27/22 08:49, tmp wrote:
> I don't like the expanded playoffs, not to the degree they are proposing. It's too much, to say the least. But the truth is that there has never been a time when the post season of any major sport has gotten shorter (if there has been, please tell me). They always get longer, and of course it's for money. But don't worry, we as fans will be getting plenty out of this new deal too; the lead items are higher ticket prices, higher TV bills, the NL game corrupted by the DH, and even more 4 hour games that go to midnight or beyond (partially due to increased TV ad time). You would think that at some point, we who pay the bills for for these guys would get some consideration, but of course, you would be thinking wrong. If that ever does happen, please let me know, but give me a chance to sit down first.

It is at a point NOW where they get very minimal amount of money from
me. It is not even intentional, but the fact is that the game is just
too painful to watch.

These guys would had destroyed Mike Piazza, requirin him to pull instead
of hitting to the opposite field

Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sport - it should be gone by now

<f149fccb-914b-4a6a-b1a4-acf30c2452a4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2495&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2495

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 05:20:36 -0800 (PST)
- it should be gone by now
From: jth...@gmail.com (Fan)
 by: Fan - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 13:20 UTC

On Saturday, February 26, 2022 at 6:01:05 PM UTC-5, Popping Mad wrote:
> On 2/26/22 14:28, *ernie wrote:
> >
> > I remember as a kid it was just two teams, NL vs AL. The regular season
> > was always exciting.
> Baseball has turned into a second rate sport like hockey and college
> basektball. They don't care, BTW, if they blow away the season with a 7
> level playoff format, the regular season is now just a footnote.

More like the WNBA

Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sport - it should be gone by now

<t15e20$jbp$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2511&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2511

From: rain...@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
- it should be gone by now
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:21:23 -0400
 by: Popping Mad - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 20:21 UTC

On 2/27/22 08:49, tmp wrote:
> You would think that at some point, we who pay the bills for for these guys would get some consideration, but of course, you would be thinking wrong. If that ever does happen, please let me know, but give me a chance to sit down first.

One of the pleasures I have had is that I could go to Citifield and get
reasonably priced tickets and cheer for home grown players and watched
Batolo Colon and Degrom hit...

This is all over. I didn't want the Mets to turn into the Yankees with
blue uniform. ANd you know what, Steve Cohen isn't even spending his
money well. Lindor was a great way to blow a quarter of a billion
dollars...

I'm happy they let Baez walk, but they depleted the minor league system,
and the really prized players I had eyes for, Freeman, Nolan Arenado,
Correa, Corey Seager, Story, George Springer, Gerrit Cole...

Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sport - it should be gone by now

<t35bcm$6pj$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2550&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2550

From: mrbrk...@panix.com (Ruben Safir)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Subject: Re: If you had any doubt that baseball is finished as a serious sport - it should be gone by now
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 02:09:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ruben Safir - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 02:09 UTC

tmp <tpfeife1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, February 26, 2022 at 2:28:33 PM UTC-5, *ernie wrote:
>> On 2/24/2022 7:07 AM, Popping Mad wrote:
>> > NYTIMES
>> >
>> > Get ready to be stuffed with playoff teams: 14 in all, representing
>> > nearly half of the 30-team league. In the owners??? proposal, the
>> > top-seeded team in each league would receive a first-round bye, while
>> > the other two division winners and the top wild card team would choose
>> > their opponents from among the lower three wild cards.
>> >
>> > A best-of-three series would follow, with the higher-seeded team hosting
>> > all games. That would lead into the division series, league championship
>> > series and World Series. The players have agreed to expand the playoffs,
>> > too, though they are calling for 12 teams instead of 14.
>> >

>> > crap.
>> >
>> > I am happy to have lived through the 1980's Mets-Cardinal rivalries -
>> > winner take all seasons. They were exciting and we will never see
>> > anything like them again.
>> >
>> I remember as a kid it was just two teams, NL vs AL. The regular season
>> was always exciting.
>
> Yeah, I remember the 10 team leagues (no divisions, no playoffs), and the Mets finishing 10th every year in the NL. Then when Leo Durocher was hired as Cubs manager in 1966, after they had finished 8th the year before, he famously declared that the Cubs "are not an 8th place team". And he was right, they finished 10th in his first season there, allowing the Mets to finally escape the basement. And there was much more to come in the Durocher-Mets saga, as we know.
>
> I don't like the expanded playoffs, not to the degree they are proposing. It's too much, to say the least. But the truth is that there has never been a time when the post season of any major sport has gotten shorter (if there has been, please tell me). They always get longer, and of course it's for money. But don't worry, we as fans will be getting plenty out of this new deal too; the lead items are higher ticket prices, higher TV bills, the NL game corrupted by the DH, and even more 4 hour games that go to midnight or beyond (partially due to increased TV ad time). You would think that at some point, we who pay the bills for for these guys would get some consideration, but of course, you would be thinking wrong. If that ever does happen, please let me know, but give me a chance to sit down first.

I'd thought that they should exand 8 more teams and have 2 seasons - one
60 games and then the top 16 teams go two divsions - 60 games Fishish
with the top 6 - three from each division, sudden death 50 game Pennent race.
Top two in a 7 game World Series.

That would end tanking and who cares how many teams they expand? Anyone
can have a team, but getting into the second season means competing.