From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Now Austin Johnson is out for the season; Pipkins is day to day
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 18:45:23 -0500
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.14
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 23:45 UTC

Daniel Popper @danielrpopper

Austin Johnson has an MCL injury and fractured knee, per Brandon Staley.
He is out for the season.

Trey Pipkins aggravated his sprained MCL and is day to day, per Brandon
Staley.

6:02 PM · Nov 7, 2022

Re: Now Austin Johnson is out for the season; Pipkins is day to day

<jstorhF3gc8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2552&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2552

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 20:14:16 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 01:14 UTC

Robin Miller wrote:

> Daniel Popper  @danielrpopper
>
> Austin Johnson has an MCL injury and fractured knee, per Brandon Staley.
> He is out for the season.
>
> Trey Pipkins aggravated his sprained MCL and is day to day, per Brandon
> Staley.
>
> 6:02 PM · Nov 7, 2022

Guilty As Charged Podcast @GACPodcast17

Austin Johnson’s season ending injury won’t make national waves but this
is a huge a loss for the Chargers. He’s been their most consistent
defensive tackle and is currently 5th in the entire league among
qualified IDL in run stop percentage. Absolutely gutted for #98.

Re: Now Austin Johnson is out for the season; Pipkins is day to day

<tkcr8g$3rlo7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2554&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2554

From: maximush...@gmx.com (max headroom)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 18:16:58 -0800
 by: max headroom - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 02:16 UTC

In news:jstorhF3gc8U1@mid.individual.net, Robin Miller
<robin.miller@invalid.invalid> typed:

> Robin Miller wrote:

>> Daniel Popper @danielrpopper

>> Austin Johnson has an MCL injury and fractured knee, per Brandon Staley.
>> He is out for the season.

>> Trey Pipkins aggravated his sprained MCL and is day to day, per Brandon
>> Staley.

>> 6:02 PM � Nov 7, 2022

> Guilty As Charged Podcast @GACPodcast17

> Austin Johnson's season ending injury won't make national waves but this
> is a huge a loss for the Chargers. He's been their most consistent
> defensive tackle and is currently 5th in the entire league among
> qualified IDL in run stop percentage. Absolutely gutted for #98.

A couple of years ago, when Chargers were dropping like flies, my son mentioned
he had seen an interview with LT wherein he said he was amazed and impressed
with the strength and conditioning regime he found at the NYJets.

Just sayin'.

Re: Now Austin Johnson is out for the season; Pipkins is day to day

<jsucl6F6bb3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2555&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2555

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 01:52:12 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 06:52 UTC

max headroom wrote:
> In news:jstorhF3gc8U1@mid.individual.net, Robin Miller
> <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> typed:
>
>> Robin Miller wrote:
>
>>> Daniel Popper @danielrpopper
>
>>> Austin Johnson has an MCL injury and fractured knee, per Brandon Staley.
>>> He is out for the season.
>
>>> Trey Pipkins aggravated his sprained MCL and is day to day, per Brandon
>>> Staley.
>
>>> 6:02 PM · Nov 7, 2022
>
>> Guilty As Charged Podcast @GACPodcast17
>
>> Austin Johnson's season ending injury won't make national waves but this
>> is a huge a loss for the Chargers. He's been their most consistent
>> defensive tackle and is currently 5th in the entire league among
>> qualified IDL in run stop percentage. Absolutely gutted for #98.
>
> A couple of years ago, when Chargers were dropping like flies, my son mentioned
> he had seen an interview with LT wherein he said he was amazed and impressed
> with the strength and conditioning regime he found at the NYJets.
>
> Just sayin'.

You do wonder, but these are mostly pretty unusual injuries. Johnson
fractured his kneecap along with tearing the MCL. Slater tore a biceps
tendon. Jackson tore his patellar tendon, which attaches to the kneecap.
They don't sound avoidable to me. The common element in these three
injuries is a torn tendon. I think players' muscles are getting so
strong that their tendons can't support the strain that's being placed
on them. How is that avoidable other than by telling the players not to
get so strong?

--Robin

Re: Now Austin Johnson is out for the season; Pipkins is day to day

<51afe025-cbef-4ce0-9496-c21e626fabc9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2562&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2562

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 17:18:16 -0800 (PST)
From: reneg1...@gmail.com (ReneG)
 by: ReneG - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 01:18 UTC

> You do wonder, but these are mostly pretty unusual injuries. Johnson
> fractured his kneecap along with tearing the MCL. Slater tore a biceps
> tendon. Jackson tore his patellar tendon, which attaches to the kneecap.
> They don't sound avoidable to me. The common element in these three
> injuries is a torn tendon. I think players' muscles are getting so
> strong that their tendons can't support the strain that's being placed
> on them. How is that avoidable other than by telling the players not to
> get so strong?
>
> --Robin

I would think stretching so the muscles can "give" instead of the tendon. I also remember LT working on balance so his footing was as balanced as possible, therefore limiting pressure at odd angles to his ligaments.

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: Now Austin Johnson is out for the season; Pipkins is day to day