From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Chargers waive Tillery
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 21:59:50 -0500
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.14
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 02:59 UTC

This is certainly out of the blue. I wonder what the story is?

https://www.chargers.com/news/los-angeles-chargers-waive-defensive-lineman-jerry-tillery

Los Angeles Chargers Waive Defensive Lineman Jerry Tillery
Nov 10, 2022 at 05:30 PM

The Los Angeles Chargers today waived defensive lineman Jerry Tillery.

"Jerry has been a valued member of our organization since arriving in
2019, and I want to thank him for all his contributions to the
Chargers," said General Manager Tom Telesco. "This was not an easy
decision but, after careful consideration, it was a necessary one that
is in the best interest of both team and player. We wish Jerry all the
best moving forward in his career."

In three-plus seasons with the Bolts, Tillery appeared in 54 games,
recording 106 tackles (57 solo), 10.5 sacks, 12 tackles for loss, three
forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

Re: Chargers waive Tillery

<6634818e-7b46-451a-b093-e2e6697aab77n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2572&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2572

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 07:20:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Chargers waive Tillery
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 15:20 UTC

On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 6:59:52 PM UTC-8, Robin Miller wrote:
> This is certainly out of the blue. I wonder what the story is?
>

> https://www.chargers.com/news/los-angeles-chargers-waive-defensive-lineman-jerry-tillery
>

> Los Angeles Chargers Waive Defensive Lineman Jerry Tillery
> Nov 10, 2022 at 05:30 PM
>

> The Los Angeles Chargers today waived defensive lineman Jerry Tillery.
>
> "Jerry has been a valued member of our organization since arriving in
> 2019, and I want to thank him for all his contributions to the
> Chargers," said General Manager Tom Telesco. "This was not an easy
> decision but, after careful consideration, it was a necessary one that
> is in the best interest of both team and player. We wish Jerry all the
> best moving forward in his career."
>
> In three-plus seasons with the Bolts, Tillery appeared in 54 games,
> recording 106 tackles (57 solo), 10.5 sacks, 12 tackles for loss, three
> forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

He was listed as not practicing for personal reasons on Wednesday, I'd imagine some sort of falling out with the coaching staff.

Michael

Re: Chargers waive Tillery

<jt8djkFmvq2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2574&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2574

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 21:09:54 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 02:09 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 6:59:52 PM UTC-8, Robin Miller wrote:
>> This is certainly out of the blue. I wonder what the story is?
>>

>> https://www.chargers.com/news/los-angeles-chargers-waive-defensive-lineman-jerry-tillery
>>

>> Los Angeles Chargers Waive Defensive Lineman Jerry Tillery
>> Nov 10, 2022 at 05:30 PM
>>

>> The Los Angeles Chargers today waived defensive lineman Jerry Tillery.
>>
>> "Jerry has been a valued member of our organization since arriving in
>> 2019, and I want to thank him for all his contributions to the
>> Chargers," said General Manager Tom Telesco. "This was not an easy
>> decision but, after careful consideration, it was a necessary one that
>> is in the best interest of both team and player. We wish Jerry all the
>> best moving forward in his career."
>>
>> In three-plus seasons with the Bolts, Tillery appeared in 54 games,
>> recording 106 tackles (57 solo), 10.5 sacks, 12 tackles for loss, three
>> forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.
>
> He was listed as not practicing for personal reasons on Wednesday, I'd imagine some sort of falling out with the coaching staff.
>
> Michael

He thought he was better than he is?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35004635/competing-visions-reason-jerry-tillery-cut-coach-says

'Competing visions' reason for Jerry Tillery cut, coach says

Lindsey Thiry
ESPN

COSTA MESA, Calif. - On Friday, a day after the Los Angeles Chargers
unceremoniously cut former first-round pick Jerry Tillery, Bolts coach
Brandon Staley said it had grown increasingly apparent that the team and
the defensive lineman were no longer compatible.

"There's a point in relationships like this where you've got to move on
and it's best for both people to move on," Staley said.

The Chargers are 5-3 and on pace to earn a playoff berth for the first
time since 2018 as they prepare to play the 4-4 San Francisco 49ers on
Sunday at Levi's Stadium.

"It's unfortunate," All-Pro edge Khalil Mack said of Tillery's release.
"It's something that I really don't think I've been a part of that in
the NFL, in the sense of the middle of the season, cut. It's a weird
situation ... but at the same time he's a talented player so whatever he
chooses to do, he's going to be able to ball out and do his thing."

Quarterback Justin Herbert called it an "unfortunate circumstance."

"He and I were good friends," Herbert said. "But that's a Coach Staley
decision. Those guys in the front office make that decision."

The No. 28 overall pick in 2019, the Chargers declined over the
offseason to pick up the fifth-year option on Tillery's rookie contract.

He appeared this season in seven games, but did not start. He recorded a
sack and forced fumble.

Multiple teams made offers for Tillery, 26, ahead of the trade deadline
on Nov. 1, but none that intrigued the Chargers enough to entertain due
to their hope that Tillery would provide needed reinforcement on the
defensive line down the stretch.

However, over the past week, philosophical differences with the coaching
staff and front office came to a head and Tillery's friction with other
players grew. The situation ultimately began to affect multiple areas of
the organization and prompted the Bolts' decision to move on.

"Competing visions for the role moving forward and it just became clear
that it wasn't going to be a fit anymore," Staley said when asked what
changed since the trade deadline. "Where we're headed as a team wasn't
going to be compatible with Jerry and where he's trying to go."

Tillery appeared on the injury report with a back issue ahead of a Week
9 matchup against the Atlanta Falcons and was inactive for the game,
during which defensive lineman Austin Johnson suffered a season-ending
knee injury.

It appeared Tillery would be the solution to replace Johnson moving into
Week 10, but that was not the case with coaches opting to open the role
to competition.

"We felt we were going to give [Breiden Fehoko] and [Joe Gaziano] a
chance to compete and where we're at, trying to do with our team, our
defensive line, our defense, our whole team, trying to create
competition have guys earn their roles," said Staley, who has emphasized
competition among position groups in his second season as coach. "And
that's what we want to be here, that's what we want to do. When those
things didn't line up, we had to make a change."

It's unclear how the Chargers will atone for the loss of Johnson and
Tillery moving forward with five interior linemen currently on the
roster, including Sebastian Joseph-Day, Morgan Fox, Christian Covington
and Fehoko (both of whom have spent time this season on the practice
squad) and rookie Otito Ogbonnia.

The Chargers' defense ranks 30th in the NFL, allowing an average of 25.8
points per game and the unit has been particularly bad defending the
run, allowing a league-worst 5.7 yards per carry.

Tillery was placed on waivers Friday and will be available for teams to
claim Monday.

In 54 games, Tillery recorded 10.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and a
fumble recovery.

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: Chargers waive Tillery