From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: SI: 5 Takeaways From Chargers' 22-16 Week 10 Loss to 49ers
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 21:37:32 -0500
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.14
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 02:37 UTC

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/chargers-49ers-five-takeaways-22-16-week-10-loss

5 Takeaways From Chargers' 22-16 Week 10 Loss to 49ers

What are the main takeaways we learned from the Chargers' Week 10 loss
to the 49ers?

Nicholas Cothrel
7 hours ago

The Chargers were defeated by the 49ers 22-16 Sunday night at Levi's
Stadium.

Here are five takeaways from the Chargers' fourth loss of the season:

Chargers go quiet in second half

The Chargers went into halftime with 16 points, and when regulation
finished up, they still sat with 16 points.

The offense had five drives in the second half and they failed to find
the same rhythm they went down the field with during the first two
quarters. The second half saw the Chargers punt three times, come up
empty on a fourth down attempt and throw an interception to give the
ball back to San Francisco.

"Zero points in the second half, it's unacceptable at any level,"
running back Austin Ekeler said after the team's loss.

After producing 186 yards in the first half, they were held to 52 yards
in the final two quarters. The Chargers got into many third-and-long
situations after running the ball almost exclusively on first down,
finding little production in doing so.

"We were just making sure those rushers don't tee off," Chargers coach
Brandon Staley said of the offensive play-calling in the second half.
"You gotta change pace against them because when it just becomes a drop
back game, that's when all the risk is in the plan against a team like
that. As long as it was close, we wanted to force those guys to play
things straight up."

Chargers keep 49ers top playmakers in check

In a game in which Christian McCaffrey was held to 77 yards, Deebo
Samuel 51 yards and George Kittle 21 yards, the Chargers, for the most
part, kept the 49ers' top playmakers in check.

Yet, they still left the stadium on the loosing end of the standalone game.

"Our group didn't back down tonight," Staley said. "Our team was the
aggressor. It just didn't go down in the second half. But we need to get
rested up and we got another big one next week."

The 49ers are well-known for their physicality and the Chargers defense
held strong throughout the night, containing one of the top skill groups
in the NFL.

Ultimately, the defense played well enough to win this game, but the
lack of offense in the second half put the game up for grabs.

Chargers depth along the offensive line gets put to the test

Right tackle Trey Pipkins hadn't practiced all week as a result of an
MCL injury he re-aggravated during last week's game. He went through
pregame warmups on the field, but was ultimately ruled inactive.

That meant Foster Sarell would start in his place. Sarell was elevated
from the practice squad on Saturday, and would be tasked with slowing
down Nick Bosa off the edge.

As the Chargers played this game without either of their starting
tackles that they opened the season with, the protection was still
fairly good. The Chargers brought extra protection towards Sarell's
side, chipping edge rushers to knock them off their path.

"We were playing with two backup tackles and that's an outstanding team
that rushes the passer so we knew that the danger was in the pass rush
and we were able to stay out of it for most of the game. We just weren't
able to get that ball movement in the second half."

Sarell, in his first start, allowed just one sack on the night. As a
unit, the Chargers allowed three sacks in total.

"I thought Jamaree [Salyer] and Foster did a great job," quarterback
Justin Herbert said. "They've stepped up big time and they've been able
to step into those role, and that's a really good pass rush they're
going up against , and I felt like I had plenty of time and they did a
great job battling."

Injuries continue

It may sound like a broken record at this point, but more injuries
surfaced during the Chargers loss to the 49ers.

Christian Covington left the game with a pectoral injury and Otito
Ogbonnia exited with a knee injury. After losing defensive lineman
Austin Johnson for the season following a knee injury suffered one week
ago, they’re hit with two more injuries to the position in Week 10.

"It's definitely tough," safety Derwin James said of the team
experiencing more injuries. "Especially those big guys against that type
of team that's in and out of personnels. It's tough when you can't
rotate those guys. We can't make excuses, just have to man up to it."

Tight end Gerald Everett also went down with a groin injury and didn’t
return to the game.

Staley didn't know the severity of the injuries after the game, but said
he'd have updates Monday afternoon.

Chargers coaches and players own the loss without excuses

There was a lot of frustration in the locker room after falling to the
49ers in a game the Chargers very well could have won.

But players and coaches weren’t buying the thought of a moral victory.
They owned the loss without excuses despite the injuries hitting their
team week-after-week.

Staley, Ekeler and James made it clear they let this game slip away and
weren’t going to blame any other aspect.

"We don’t like making excuses," James said.

One silver lining from the game was the fight in which the Chargers
played with. As frustration was at the forefront of their minds, it was
clear they felt they had laid it on the line against the 49ers.

"We didn't come here to get a pat on the back for playing hard," Staley
said. "That's not what this game is about. But that's what I like about
our team, we came here to win tonight. Now, we didn't win. But the
effort and the physicality and the toughness of our team tonight, that
was good enough. That's what I expect."

Re: SI: 5 Takeaways From Chargers' 22-16 Week 10 Loss to 49ers

<87o7t8hg75.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2590&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2590

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 22:42:06 -0800
 by: Eddie Grove - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 06:42 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> writes:

> https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/chargers-49ers-five-takeaways-22-16-week-10-loss

> After producing 186 yards in the first half, they were held to 52
> yards in the final two quarters. The Chargers got into many
> third-and-long situations after running the ball almost exclusively on
> first down, finding little production in doing so.

I listened to the 49ers press conference excerpts on the comcast local
sports network. Middle linebacker Fred Warner said that they wanted to
simplify and basically played just one defensive playcall for the vast
majority of the 2nd half. I think he said all but 4 plays, but who knows
if I remember correctly. The reporter questioning him asked which play,
as surely other OCs watching would be able to figure it out, but Warner
claimed it was a secret and he wasn't telling.

> "We were just making sure those rushers don't tee off," Chargers coach
> Brandon Staley said of the offensive play-calling in the second
> half. "You gotta change pace against them because when it just becomes
> a drop back game, that's when all the risk is in the plan against a
> team like that. As long as it was close, we wanted to force those guys
> to play things straight up."

Which is exactly what the 49ers wanted to do, after halftime adjustments anyway.

Re: SI: 5 Takeaways From Chargers' 22-16 Week 10 Loss to 49ers

<840bdcb7-4ff1-443a-9842-65419313d5f9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2592&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2592

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 05:56:39 -0800 (PST)
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 13:56 UTC

On Monday, November 14, 2022 at 10:42:09 PM UTC-8, Eddie Grove wrote:
> Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> writes:
>
> > https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/chargers-49ers-five-takeaways-22-16-week-10-loss
> > After producing 186 yards in the first half, they were held to 52
> > yards in the final two quarters. The Chargers got into many
> > third-and-long situations after running the ball almost exclusively on
> > first down, finding little production in doing so.
> I listened to the 49ers press conference excerpts on the comcast local
> sports network. Middle linebacker Fred Warner said that they wanted to
> simplify and basically played just one defensive playcall for the vast
> majority of the 2nd half. I think he said all but 4 plays, but who knows
> if I remember correctly. The reporter questioning him asked which play,
> as surely other OCs watching would be able to figure it out, but Warner
> claimed it was a secret and he wasn't telling.

“as surely other OCs watching would be able to figure it out” - translation: Joe Lombardi is the only OC in the league who couldn’t.

> > "We were just making sure those rushers don't tee off," Chargers coach
> > Brandon Staley said of the offensive play-calling in the second
> > half. "You gotta change pace against them because when it just becomes
> > a drop back game, that's when all the risk is in the plan against a
> > team like that. As long as it was close, we wanted to force those guys
> > to play things straight up."
> Which is exactly what the 49ers wanted to do, after halftime adjustments anyway.

Yeah, I understand the logic with Herbert throwing to unproven receivers behind a patchwork line against a good defense, but the fact that they basically didn’t even try anything a little bit different shows a lack of faith and ability to make adjustments as the game moves along. Their defense and special teams gave them every opportunity to win that game and they only needed one or two more big plays on offense to do it. They never really gave themselves a chance to do that in the second half. It’s like they were content to lose by one score so they could get praised for coming close with all the injuries.

Michael

Re: SI: 5 Takeaways From Chargers' 22-16 Week 10 Loss to 49ers

<jthvp0F8cq4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2593&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2593

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 12:15:09 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 17:15 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> On Monday, November 14, 2022 at 10:42:09 PM UTC-8, Eddie Grove wrote:
>> Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> writes:
>>
>>> https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/chargers-49ers-five-takeaways-22-16-week-10-loss
>>> After producing 186 yards in the first half, they were held to 52
>>> yards in the final two quarters. The Chargers got into many
>>> third-and-long situations after running the ball almost exclusively on
>>> first down, finding little production in doing so.
>> I listened to the 49ers press conference excerpts on the comcast local
>> sports network. Middle linebacker Fred Warner said that they wanted to
>> simplify and basically played just one defensive playcall for the vast
>> majority of the 2nd half. I think he said all but 4 plays, but who knows
>> if I remember correctly. The reporter questioning him asked which play,
>> as surely other OCs watching would be able to figure it out, but Warner
>> claimed it was a secret and he wasn't telling.
>

> “as surely other OCs watching would be able to figure it out” - translation: Joe Lombardi is the only OC in the league who couldn’t.
>

>>> "We were just making sure those rushers don't tee off," Chargers coach
>>> Brandon Staley said of the offensive play-calling in the second
>>> half. "You gotta change pace against them because when it just becomes
>>> a drop back game, that's when all the risk is in the plan against a
>>> team like that. As long as it was close, we wanted to force those guys
>>> to play things straight up."
>> Which is exactly what the 49ers wanted to do, after halftime adjustments anyway.
>
> Yeah, I understand the logic with Herbert throwing to unproven receivers behind a patchwork line against a good defense, but the fact that they basically didn’t even try anything a little bit different shows a lack of faith and ability to make adjustments as the game moves along. Their defense and special teams gave them every opportunity to win that game and they only needed one or two more big plays on offense to do it. They never really gave themselves a chance to do that in the second half. It’s like they were content to lose by one score so they could get praised for coming close with all the injuries.
>
> Michael

I don't understand why Bandy wasn't involved in the offense. He played
49 snaps (84%) and had one target and no receptions. Popper said that he
just can't get open on the outside and his only usefulness is as a slot
receiver, but that's Palmer's position, and he was playing. So it was
Carter and Bandy on the outside.

But why no deep shots to Carter after that one long completion?

--Robin