From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Denver waives Melvin Gordon
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 22:38:38 -0500
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.14
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 03:38 UTC

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35076318/broncos-waive-rb-melvin-gordon-latest-fumble

Broncos waive RB Melvin Gordon after latest fumble
Nov 21, 2022

Jeff Legwold
ESPN Senior Writer

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos waived running back Melvin Gordon III on
Monday after he fumbled Sunday -- for the fifth time this season -- in
an overtime loss to the Raiders, Denver's sixth loss in seven games.

Gordon, 29, is the Broncos' leader in carries (90) and rushing yards
(318) this season. But in Sunday's 22-16 loss, Gordon fumbled at the
Raiders' 2-yard line just before halftime.

Though Broncos guard Quinn Meinerz recovered the fumble, kicker Brandon
McManus' 25-yard field goal attempt was blocked on the next play. A
touchdown would have given the Broncos a 17-7 halftime lead; a field
goal would have given them a 13-7 lead.

"He's a true pro, he's done a lot of good stuff here ... we thought it
was best for the team and we moved on and wish him the best of luck,
think it's great for him to have a fresh start," Broncos coach Nathaniel
Hackett said Monday.

It was Gordon's second fumble this season at the opponent's 2-yard line
or closer to the goal-line. Gordon fumbled at the Seattle Seahawks'
1-yard line in the Broncos' season-opening 17-16 loss.

Gordon's fumble in a Week 4 loss to the Raiders was returned for a
touchdown.

"I was sick about it, obviously,'' Gordon said after Sunday's loss. "I
kind of know what comes after that at this point. I shot my own self in
the foot. I am a little salty because I was feeling it [Sunday]. That
happened and I kind of knew that I was going to have to find a way to
get back in rhythm. I knew it was going to be tough. I tried to make
splashes here and there after it but my share of opportunities kind of
dwindled after that, so that's my fault.''

Since Javonte Williams suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 4,
Gordon has bristled at times about his role in a struggling offense --
the Broncos are last in the league in scoring at 14.7 points per game.
After Sunday's fumble, Gordon didn't get another carry until there was
13 minutes, 28 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

Latavius Murray, 32, was signed off the New Orleans Saints practice
squad Oct. 4 and has led the team in rushing attempts (63) since despite
having played one fewer game than Gordon over that span. The Broncos
also signed Marlon Mack to the roster earlier this month, but he does
not have a carry.

Gordon's ouster comes as running back Chase Edmonds, who the Broncos
acquired as part of the trade of outside linebacker Bradley Chubb to the
Miami Dolphins, suffered a right ankle injury Sunday and left the
stadium wearing a walking boot on his lower right leg and ankle. Hackett
said Monday that Edmonds has a high ankle sprain and will miss "a lot of
time" because of the injury.

"It's not like we didn't recover the ball ... it's unfortunate we didn't
get three points after that,'' Gordon said Sunday. "... We still had two
quarters left, we still had a chance to get points after that, so it
wasn't the end of the world, but unfortunately for me it was something
that happened.''

Gordon played 41 games for the Broncos over the last three seasons,
scored 22 total touchdowns (19 rushing, three receiving), but also had
12 total fumbles in that time, nine of those recovered by the Broncos'
opponents.