From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: it was the same play
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 17:16:19 -0800
 by: Eddie Grove - Thu, 24 Nov 2022 01:16 UTC

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/21/travis-kelce-bills-peter-king-fmia-week-11/

If you stayed up for the end of Kansas City’s tense AFC West match at
the Chargers, you saw KC tight end Travis Kelce, down by four in the
final minute of the game, catch a shallow crossing route from Patrick
Mahomes, run right to left across the formation, and take advantage of
wideout Justin Watson muddling the middle of the field with a short
route just in front of Kelce. Kelce ran upfield for the winning 17-yard
TD.

“Funny thing is,” Kelce told me 40 minutes after the game, “we ran the
same play to win this game last year.”

I don't want to copy the whole discussion, and there are some pictures
in the link so I can pretend to justify my decision. Peter King deserves
to have people click on his articles. There is an auto-play video, but
at least it is muted in my browser of choice.

Eddie

Re: it was the same play

<8634ce77-4af4-4333-964c-8c852738844bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2619&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2619

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 12:02:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: it was the same play
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Thu, 24 Nov 2022 20:02 UTC

On Wednesday, November 23, 2022 at 5:16:22 PM UTC-8, Eddie Grove wrote:
> https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/21/travis-kelce-bills-peter-king-fmia-week-11/
>
> If you stayed up for the end of Kansas City’s tense AFC West match at
> the Chargers, you saw KC tight end Travis Kelce, down by four in the
> final minute of the game, catch a shallow crossing route from Patrick
> Mahomes, run right to left across the formation, and take advantage of
> wideout Justin Watson muddling the middle of the field with a short
> route just in front of Kelce. Kelce ran upfield for the winning 17-yard
> TD.
>
> “Funny thing is,” Kelce told me 40 minutes after the game, “we ran the
> same play to win this game last year.”

> I don't want to copy the whole discussion, and there are some pictures
> in the link so I can pretend to justify my decision. Peter King deserves
> to have people click on his articles. There is an auto-play video, but
> at least it is muted in my browser of choice.
>

> Eddie

I watched the highlights and other than Kelce running a bit shallower in last weekend's game (like 5 yards vs 7-8), it did look pretty similar, with Kelce lined up solo on the right side pretty close to the tackle and three wide receivers on the left, and Kelce running the crossing pattern off a pick play. The only other difference was that last weekend he kept running to the left after catching the ball and made the corner while last year he turned it upfield after making the catch and ran by everyone.

Michael