Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. -- W. C. Fields

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: ESPN.com: NFL Week 14 Power Rankings, best team stats

SubjectAuthor
* ESPN.com: NFL Week 14 Power Rankings, best team statsphlash74
`- Re: ESPN.com: NFL Week 14 Power Rankings, best team statsRobin Miller

1
ESPN.com: NFL Week 14 Power Rankings, best team stats

<aa2f4b46-7bc3-4e08-9c6e-95902a58d520n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2658&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2658

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 14:35:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: ESPN.com: NFL Week 14 Power Rankings, best team stats
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 22:35 UTC

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35147423/2022-nfl-week-14-power-rankings-1-32-poll-team-stats

(as always, full story available at the link, intro and Chargers' section copied below)

NFL Week 14 Power Rankings 2022: 1-32 poll, best team stats
3:30 AM PT
NFL Nation reporters
Welcome to Week 14 of the NFL regular season.

Our power panel -- a group of more than 80 writers, editors and TV personalities -- has evaluated how teams are stacking up through 13 weeks.

There were very slight movements in the rankings this week. A new No. 1 pick has been named after the Kansas City Chiefs fell to the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday. Plus, an unlikely Pittsburgh Steelers team climbs in the poll.

In addition to our updated rankings, we checked in with NFL Nation reporters across the league and asked them to name a stat in which each team ranks No. 1. Some teams excel in rush defense and others shine in scoring, and some are No. 1 in metrics they probably don't want to be the best in.

Now let's take a look at the updated rankings.

17. Los Angeles Chargers (6-6)

Week 13 ranking: 17

We're No. 1 in ... yards allowed per carry.

This isn't exactly the category you want to be ranked No. 1 in -- allowing a league-worst 5.4 yards per carry. But after 13 weeks and despite a significant overhaul to their defensive front, that's where the Bolts stand. It hasn't helped that several key defensive players have been sidelined this season, including Joey Bosa, Austin Johnson, Christian Covington and Otito Ogbonnia. Head coach Brandon Staley has emphasized that it takes all 11 defensive players to stop the run. "Run defense is a team operation," he said. -- Lindsey Thiry

Popper had this after the Arizona game last week: https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1597430920385961985

Daniel Popper
@danielrpopper
#Chargers defense is allowing 5.53 yards per carry on designed rushes this season.

That is the worst average for any defense since 2000, according to
@TruMediaSports
734th out of 734.

That and much, much more in this week's Final Thoughts:
theathletic.com
Final Thoughts: 11 notes, stats and quotes from Chargers' win over Cardinals
Justin Herbert deserved his praise for Sunday's game-winning drive, but the Chargers defense also delivered a perfect fourth quarter.
7:23 PM · Nov 28, 2022

(for a little context, TruMediaSports' data goes back to...2000; in other words, not only is the Chargers' run defense the worst this century, it could possibly be one of the very worst ever).

Michael

Re: ESPN.com: NFL Week 14 Power Rankings, best team stats

<jvah3tFsk3aU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2659&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2659

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 22:54:32 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 03:54 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35147423/2022-nfl-week-14-power-rankings-1-32-poll-team-stats
>
> (as always, full story available at the link, intro and Chargers' section copied below)
>
> NFL Week 14 Power Rankings 2022: 1-32 poll, best team stats
> 3:30 AM PT
> NFL Nation reporters
> Welcome to Week 14 of the NFL regular season.
>
> Our power panel -- a group of more than 80 writers, editors and TV personalities -- has evaluated how teams are stacking up through 13 weeks.
>
> There were very slight movements in the rankings this week. A new No. 1 pick has been named after the Kansas City Chiefs fell to the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday. Plus, an unlikely Pittsburgh Steelers team climbs in the poll.
>
> In addition to our updated rankings, we checked in with NFL Nation reporters across the league and asked them to name a stat in which each team ranks No. 1. Some teams excel in rush defense and others shine in scoring, and some are No. 1 in metrics they probably don't want to be the best in.
>
> Now let's take a look at the updated rankings.
>
> 17. Los Angeles Chargers (6-6)
>
> Week 13 ranking: 17
>
> We're No. 1 in ... yards allowed per carry.
>
> This isn't exactly the category you want to be ranked No. 1 in -- allowing a league-worst 5.4 yards per carry. But after 13 weeks and despite a significant overhaul to their defensive front, that's where the Bolts stand. It hasn't helped that several key defensive players have been sidelined this season, including Joey Bosa, Austin Johnson, Christian Covington and Otito Ogbonnia. Head coach Brandon Staley has emphasized that it takes all 11 defensive players to stop the run. "Run defense is a team operation," he said. -- Lindsey Thiry
>
> Popper had this after the Arizona game last week: https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1597430920385961985
>
> Daniel Popper
> @danielrpopper
> #Chargers defense is allowing 5.53 yards per carry on designed rushes this season.
>
> That is the worst average for any defense since 2000, according to
> @TruMediaSports
> 734th out of 734.
>
> That and much, much more in this week's Final Thoughts:
> theathletic.com
> Final Thoughts: 11 notes, stats and quotes from Chargers' win over Cardinals
> Justin Herbert deserved his praise for Sunday's game-winning drive, but the Chargers defense also delivered a perfect fourth quarter.
> 7:23 PM · Nov 28, 2022
>
> (for a little context, TruMediaSports' data goes back to...2000; in other words, not only is the Chargers' run defense the worst this century, it could possibly be one of the very worst ever).
>
> Michael

We're number one.

:-)

--Robin

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: ESPN.com: NFL Week 14 Power Rankings, best team stats