Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 17:14:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Best wishes to Houston Texans rookie WR John Metchie III
From: prohuman...@gmail.com (observer)
 by: observer - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 00:14 UTC

July 24 2022
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34289700/houston-texans-wr-john-metchie-iii-diagnosed-leukemia

Houston Texans rookie wide receiver John
Metchie III announced Sunday that he has
been diagnosed with a form of leukemia
and likely will not play this season.

"Recently I was diagnosed with APL (Acute
Promyelocytic Leukemia), the most curable
form of Leukemia," Metchie said in a state-
ment released by the Texans. "I am currently
receiving great medical care, am in good ...

.... spirits and I expect to make a recovery at
a later point in time. As a result of this diag-
nosis, I will likely not be playing football this
season. ..."

.... The Texans traded up in the 2nd round, send-
ing 3 picks to the Cleveland Browns, to select
Metchie 44th overall in the 2022 draft.

---

John Metchie III Career Page
(drafted 44th in 2022 draft)
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MetcJo00.htm

---

Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia
https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/acute-promyelocytic-leukemia/

Acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL) is a blood
cancer characterized by a marked increase in a
type of white blood cells known as promyelo-
cytes, a type of immature white blood cell. It
develops in about 600 to 800 individuals each
year in the United States, most often in adults
around the age of 40.

.... The treatment of APL is centered elimination
of the malignant cells and supportive care with
transfusion of blood products to minimize the
risk of bleeding or thrombosis, Medications, es-
pecially all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA; tretinoin) ...

.... & arsenic trioxide allow malignant promyelo-
cytes to mature into neutrophils, which are sub-
sequently eliminated.

The development of therapy for APL is a suc-
cess story in the realm of cancer and leukemia
treatment. Before modern treatments were de-
veloped, the vast majority of affected individu-
als did not survive more than one month after
diagnosis due to bleeding and/or infection.

Research that elucidated the molecular mech-
anisms by which APL develops led to the devel-
opment of ATRA, an oral medication that speci-
fically targets the genetic defects in APL.

Nowadays, with ATRA and other targeted thera-
pies, such as arsenic trioxide (ATO), APL has
shifted from an often fatal disease to a highly
curable form of leukemia. ... Once the critical
early period has passed, most patients are able
to be cured.

A large study carried on in the United States
that included APL patients that had survived
more than 48 hours after diagnosis found that
88% of individuals were alive after 5 years of