From: mrbrk...@panix.com (Ruben Safir)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Subject: The costs of Soto
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 20:42:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ruben Safir - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 20:42 UTC

the radio and pundits are going crazy making absurd claims and
speculation about the possibility of aquiring Juan Soto. Most of the
premise is that Soto is such a great player and so young that he is
worth any number of prospects and players in order to aquire. But that
is just seriously wrong. There is real costs to aquiring Soto in terms
of potential oppurtunities which has a value, and then real player value
in the current time by players on the field, and then the monetary value
of a player, that what you pay him since it is a business.

The value of a is monetarieze into wins to drive a profit.

So, when you get a player on the Free Agent market, you are trading
dollars for win values. It is straight. wen one trades, you are
getting back much LESS value in return.

So, Soto has a definable value that can be assigned and your paying for
that value in talent to Washington to aquire that talent and THEN you
are paying him. This means the real value of Soto in real terms is far
less that one might imagine. There is no point to trading all the
prospects for Soto and then paying him a premium salery. This is why
prospects are so important for an organization. When your prospects
turn into players, you get the full value of that player for the cost of
development costs. Soto can never have the value to the Mets that he
has for the Nationals until Soto goes free agent. His trade value
depends on getting the best of the trade, and Washington doesn't want to
do that.

It makes no sense, for example, to trade Alvarez for Soto because
Alvarez is FREE and all player value. If Alvarez can project to a 4WAR
(as bad as war is are describing vlaues), and Soto is 9, the Mets would
trade and gain 4 WAR. but then they are going to have to PAY Soto for a
full 9 WAR value, so they just lose Alvarez's value. They can just buy
that value on the FA market if they want to upgrade.

This is why it is almost never a positive thing to trade prospects for
established players. There is just no winnng like that long term unless
the estabished player is being given away for almost nothing IE: Allen
and Osby for Hernandez...

The Mets need a catcher more than they need Soto, FWIW

All that being said, BTW, this is not a disparauge of Soto's talent. He
is a HoF talent and expreamely young. His comps at age 22 is

Mike Trout (956.3)
Frank Robinson (955.8) *
Bryce Harper (944.3)
Miguel Cabrera (943.8)
Mickey Mantle (927.9) *
Tony Conigliaro (921.1)
Henry Aaron (918.7) *
Orlando Cepeda (911.5) *
Giancarlo Stanton (909.4)
Ken Griffey Jr. (908.6) *

He has a 437 LIFETIME OBP.

As for being generational though, there are a number of supprisingly
great young hitters around right now to include:

Yordan Álvarez
Alejandro Kirk
Andrés Giménez
Julio Rodríguez
Leody Taveras

Re: The costs of Soto

<3f27faa7-f240-4ce9-854f-302788723036n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2682&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2682

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 07:22:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The costs of Soto
From: bhasselb...@gmail.com (Hass)
 by: Hass - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 14:22 UTC

On Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 3:42:53 PM UTC-5, Ruben Safir wrote:
> [...]
> the estabished player is being given away for almost nothing IE: Allen
> and Osby for Hernandez...
>
> The Mets need a catcher more than they need Soto, FWIW
>
> All that being said, BTW, this is not a disparauge of Soto's talent. He
> is a HoF talent and expreamely young. His comps at age 22 is
>
> Mike Trout (956.3)
> Frank Robinson (955.8) *
> Bryce Harper (944.3)
> Miguel Cabrera (943.8)
> Mickey Mantle (927.9) *
> Tony Conigliaro (921.1)
> Henry Aaron (918.7) *
> Orlando Cepeda (911.5) *
> Giancarlo Stanton (909.4)
> Ken Griffey Jr. (908.6) *
>

> He has a 437 LIFETIME OBP.
>
> As for being generational though, there are a number of supprisingly
> great young hitters around right now to include:

Your problem (other than almost unintelligible spelling and grammar) is you're playing a combination of Money Ball and Fantasy Baseball, not RL baseball. You acquire players to win games and championships, nothing more. You "write" paragraphs about how Soto isn't worth prospects, then immediately afterwards list his age-comps which includes nothing but HOF'ers and superstars. Alvarez hasn't had a major league at bat...let's not put him in the HOF just yet (next to the plaques of Lastings Milledge, Victor Diaz and Gregg Jeffries). The Mets don't need to play Money Ball...Cohen has said that. He wants to WIN A WORLD SERIES. Mets fans want to WIN A WORLD SERIES. Do I want to trade Alvarez or any of our other prospects? No...but I would for the right return. And a 22yo second coming of Mike Trout is one of those "right" returns. Would you trade Alvarez today for Ohtani? Would you trade Alvarez for ANYBODY? Ever? If there's one guy that I'd trade Alvarez to acquire, it would be Juan Soto. And Alvarez might not have to be in the package anyway.

Re: The costs of Soto

<tbbrfi$2eqsg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2683&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2683

From: alreadyd...@hotmail.com (*ernie)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 11:30:54 -0400
 by: *ernie - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 15:30 UTC

On 7/21/2022 10:22 AM, Hass wrote:
> [...]
>
> Your problem (other than almost unintelligible spelling and grammar) is you're playing a combination of Money Ball and Fantasy Baseball, not RL baseball. You acquire players to win games and championships, nothing more. You "write" paragraphs about how Soto isn't worth prospects, then immediately afterwards list his age-comps which includes nothing but HOF'ers and superstars. Alvarez hasn't had a major league at bat...let's not put him in the HOF just yet (next to the plaques of Lastings Milledge, Victor Diaz and Gregg Jeffries). The Mets don't need to play Money Ball...Cohen has said that. He wants to WIN A WORLD SERIES. Mets fans want to WIN A WORLD SERIES. Do I want to trade Alvarez or any of our other prospects? No...but I would for the right return. And a 22yo second coming of Mike Trout is one of those "right" returns. Would you trade Alvarez today for Ohtani? Would you trade Alvarez for ANYBODY? Ever? If there's one guy that I'd trade Alvarez to acquire, it would be Juan Soto. And Alvarez might not have to be in the package anyway.

How about we give them J.D. Davis, Dominick Smith, Drew Smith and a bum
to be named later?

Re: The costs of Soto

<daa8959c-ec6f-4e7e-b959-84a3452ed258n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2684&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2684

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 10:01:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: bhasselb...@gmail.com (Hass)
 by: Hass - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 17:01 UTC

On Thursday, July 21, 2022 at 10:31:00 AM UTC-5, *ernie wrote:
> [...]
> How about we give them J.D. Davis, Dominick Smith, Drew Smith and a bum

Let's get Familia back just so we can include him in the package! :)

Re: The costs of Soto

<tbce05$5pu$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2686&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2686

From: mrbrk...@panix.com (Ruben Safir)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 20:47:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ruben Safir - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 20:47 UTC

*ernie <alreadydeleted9@hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>

> How about we give them J.D. Davis, Dominick Smith, Drew Smith and a bum

Washingtons problem is they want to unload the salery and try to get
prospects back. There is NO WAY one trades 6 years of inexpensive
control for Alvarez for 2 years of Soto. I am sick of hearing that we
don't "know what prospects" value and pan out. He have SCOUTING and we
actually know damn well, AL LEAST as well as ML players. Should we
start naming the MLB players who have ended with crap careers after
trades or even before. Should we start with Cory Bellinger, Juan
Gonzoles, Robinson Cano, George Bell who viturally vanished after age
28, Anthony Rendon, Ellis Valintine, Roberto Alomar, Carlos Baerga,
Javey Baez, Matt HArvey, Richie Hebner, Rueben Siera, David Wright, Don
Mattingly.

Prospect have REAL value and win baseball games for franchise.
Franchises without a steady pipeline of prospects flat out die.

The Mets have zero need for Soto right now. They need a starting
pitcher with allstar creds and a catcher. They actually need to promote
Alverez more than they need 2 years of Soto ... which is ALL you get
because he is a Boros player and will go free agent... 100% without a
doubt. NO TEAM can win with just one player or even TWO. Ask the
Angels.

Ask Philedelphia and Bryce Harper.

The Yankees, who really NEED NOBODY right now, have added in a few short
years, Santon, Cole, Dj LeMahieu, Anthony Rizzo, and Josh Donaldson has
a deraigned fan base clammering for a player that would bankrupt their
talent pool to aquire.

It is not OK. Organization are organic and need to be in a constant
state of growth.

If you are signing Soto for just cash... that is great and in 2 year you
will be able to do just that.

If you need to unload your farmsystem for him, that is not great.

As for the Mets System, they only developed Degrom, Syndergaurd,
Confoto, Wheeler, Alonzo, Harvy, Guillorme, McNeil, Gimenez, Lugo,
Peterson, Kevin Plawecki, Wilmer Flores, Travis d'Arnaud and Nimo
within the last few years.

That is not chicken shit.

If the reports coming out of Washington are true, there is no profitable
deal that one can made with the Nats for two years of Soto.

In order for that to be worthwhile they would need to ADD Soto to the
existing team core, not gut the team and gut the farmsystem. But to
improve it.

Re: The costs of Soto

<tbcnq9$gg$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2687&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2687

From: rain...@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 19:33:45 -0400
 by: Popping Mad - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 23:33 UTC

On 7/21/22 11:30, *ernie wrote:
> How about we give them J.D. Davis, Dominick Smith, Drew Smith and a bum
> to be named later?

Tylor Megill, Ronny Mauricio, David Peterson, Tomás Nido, Do Smith,
Wyatt Young

That gives Washington TWO front end starters that are controllable.

Re: The costs of Soto

<tbij8s$d8gg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2692&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2692

From: alreadyd...@hotmail.com (*ernie)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 00:53:46 -0400
 by: *ernie - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 04:53 UTC

On 7/21/2022 1:01 PM, Hass wrote:
> On Thursday, July 21, 2022 at 10:31:00 AM UTC-5, *ernie wrote:

>>> Your problem (other than almost unintelligible spelling and grammar) is you're playing a combination of Money Ball and Fantasy Baseball, not RL baseball. You acquire players to win games and championships, nothing more. You "write" paragraphs about how Soto isn't worth prospects, then immediately afterwards list his age-comps which includes nothing but HOF'ers and superstars. Alvarez hasn't had a major league at bat...let's not put him in the HOF just yet (next to the plaques of Lastings Milledge, Victor Diaz and Gregg Jeffries). The Mets don't need to play Money Ball...Cohen has said that. He wants to WIN A WORLD SERIES. Mets fans want to WIN A WORLD SERIES. Do I want to trade Alvarez or any of our other prospects? No...but I would for the right return. And a 22yo second coming of Mike Trout is one of those "right" returns. Would you trade Alvarez today for Ohtani? Would you trade Alvarez for ANYBODY? Ever? If there's one guy that I'd trade Alvarez to acquire, it would be Juan Soto. And Alvarez might not have to be in the package anyway.
>> How about we give them J.D. Davis, Dominick Smith, Drew Smith and a bum
>> to be named later?
>
> Let's get Familia back just so we can include him in the package! :)

LOL!!!