Keep grandma off the streets -- legalize bingo.

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys / Did Nyota Uhura sleep with Spock or Captain Kirk?

SubjectAuthor
* Did Nyota Uhura sleep with Spock or Captain Kirk?DLS S
`* Re: Did Nyota Uhura sleep with Spock or Captain Kirk?observer
 `- Re: Did Nyota Uhura sleep with Spock or Captain Kirk?observer

1
Did Nyota Uhura sleep with Spock or Captain Kirk?

<f2c0df15-75b8-4903-91a5-c3f09f00744bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2698&group=alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys#2698

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 21:23:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Did Nyota Uhura sleep with Spock or Captain Kirk?
From: dls...@gmail.com (DLS S)
 by: DLS S - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 04:23 UTC

I find that more intriguing than if the ego maniac drunk Jerry J. will ever put Jimmy J in the Cowboy's Ring of no honor.

Re: Did Nyota Uhura sleep with Spock or Captain Kirk?

<04ad8ea5-3fe8-4582-8f50-eec772d31a74n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2699&group=alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys#2699

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 11:15:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: prohuman...@gmail.com (observer)
 by: observer - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 18:15 UTC

On Sunday, July 31, 2022 at 11:23:26 PM UTC-5, dls...@gmail.com wrote:

..> I find that more intriguing than if ... Jerry J.
..> will ever put Jimmy J in the Cowboy's Ring of
..> ... honor.

Per the following news article posted July 31,
yesterday, the actress who played Uhura on
the original Star Trek series passed away at
the age of 89 (she passed away on July 30th
per her wikipedia page below):
https://deadline.com/2022/07/nichelle-nichols-dies-uhura-star-trek-was-89-1235081916/

.... shared one of the first interracial kisses in
television history with costar William Shatner.

Nichols also played Lt. Uhura by voicing her on
“Star Trek: The Animated Series,” and appeared
in the first six “Star Trek” films. She became a
lieutenant commander in “Star Trek: The Motion
Picture” and then a full commander in “Star Trek II:
The Wrath of Khan.”

Throughout, she was a powerful symbol for Afri-
can Americans and a fan favorite in the various
projects.

.... Dr. Mae Jemison, the first Black woman to fly
aboard the Space Shuttle, cited “Star Trek” as an
influence in her decision to join the space agency.

Nichols became the first African American woman
to have her handprints immortalized at the TCL Chi-
nese Theatre. The ceremony also included other
members of the original “Star Trek” cast.

Born Grace Nichols in Robbins, Ill. on Dec. 28, 1932,
Nichols sang with Duke Ellington in a ballet she cre-
ated for one of his compositions. Later, she sang
with his band.

.... Nichols was married and divorced twice. She is
survived by her son, Kyle Johnson.

Nichelle Nichols
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichelle_Nichols

.... On Star Trek, Nichols was one of the first Black
women featured in a major television series.

.... Towards the end of the first season, Nichols was
given the opportunity to take a role on Broadway. She
preferred the stage to the television studio, so she de-
cided to take the role. Nichols went to Roddenberry's
office, told him that she planned to leave, and handed
him her resignation letter.

.... That weekend, Nichols attended a banquet that was
being run by the NAACP, where she was informed that
a fan really wanted to meet her. I thought it was a Trek-
kie, and so I said, 'Sure.' I looked across the room and
whoever the fan was had to wait because there was ...

.... Dr. Martin Luther King walking towards me with this
big grin on his face. He reached out to me and said,
'Yes, Ms. Nichols, I am your greatest fan.' He said that
Star Trek was the only show that he, and his wife Cor-
etta, would allow their three little children to stay up
and watch.

[She told King about her plans to leave the series be-
cause she wanted to take a role that was tied to Broad-
way.] I never got to tell him why, because he said, 'you
cannot, you cannot...for the first time on television, we
will be seen as we should be seen every day, as intelli-
gent, quality, beautiful, people who can sing dance, ...

.... and can go to space, who are professors, lawyers."
Dr. King Jr went further stating "If you leave, that door
can be closed because your role is not a black role, and
is not a female role; he can fill it with anybody even an
alien."

King personally encouraged her to stay on the series,
saying she "could not give up" because she was play-
ing a vital role model for Black children and young
women across the country, as well as for other chil-
dren who would see Black people appearing as equals,
going so far as to favorably compare her work on ...

.... the series to the marches of the ongoing civil rights
movement. This response by King left Nichols speech-
less, allowing her to realize how important to the civil
rights movement her role was, and the next day she
went back to Roddenberry's office to tell him that she
would stay.

When she told Roddenberry what King had said, tears
came to his eyes. ...

---

The character Nyota Uhura, played by at
least 3 different black actresses, not sure
if the character slept with Spock or not as
their having a romantic relationship is men-
tioned in the following, but their 'sleeping
together' may have been implied or likely ...

.... rather than explicitly shown or referred
to (not sure about that as 56 years of Star
Trek with multiple Uhuras & multiple Spocks
is a lot of territory to cover):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyota_Uhura

Re: Did Nyota Uhura sleep with Spock or Captain Kirk?

<e0c2edea-f11a-44cd-aa41-7b86734b88d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4276&group=alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys#4276

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 14:07:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: prohuman...@gmail.com (observer)
 by: observer - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 21:07 UTC