From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: SI: Chargers S Derwin James Making Progress From Quad Injury, Could
Return to Practice This Week
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 13:36:27 -0500
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.14
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 18:36 UTC

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/chargers-derwin-james-injury-news-brandon-staley-return-to-practice-nfl-week-16

Chargers S Derwin James Making Progress From Quad Injury, Could Return
to Practice This Week

Derwin James is getting closer to making his return.

Nicholas Cothrel
59 minutes ago

The Chargers defense has played some of its best football this season
across the last two weeks, and that's been without the team's All-Pro
safety Derwin James.

James injured his quad in Week 13 against the Raiders and has been
sidelined the last two games. He hasn't practiced to any extent since
the injury and Chargers coach Brandon Staley has classified his status
as "day-to-day."

James, the Chargers' do-it-all defender and heartbeat of the team, has
the chance to hit the practice field this week ahead of the game against
the Colts slated for Monday Night Football.

“He’s progressing," Staley said of James' injury status. "We are hoping
to see him back in practice at some point this week. With the extra day,
we’re going to make sure that we take full advantage of it, but I still
consider him day-to-day. He’s feeling better, for sure. If you were able
to see him work out during pregame, he is trending in the right direction.”

Now 2-0 in games without James this season, Staley approached him
following the Chargers' 23-17 win over the Dolphins.

"I kind of ambushed him with this the other day, kind of caught him off
guard," Staley said. "I was like, ‘We did something the other night that
was amazing,’ and he thought that I was going to say something
completely different, but I was like, ‘We won without you.’

"That’s a good sign that we are able to do that, that we’re deep enough
to get it done — and not just win without him, but play really well. He
deserves so much credit in that because of how he has energized this
group and how he prepares them. You saw him at the game yesterday
energizing these guys, and the offense, too."

Staley believes the last two weeks, having to navigate games without
James patrolling each level of the field on defense, has brought out the
best in the team.

During his absence, they've gotten a look at Alohi Gilman in extended
action this season and rookie Raheem Layne, who they've elevated from
the practice squad.

"I think that it has been good for our football team to be able to play
without him," Staley said. "He has kind of a quarterback record thing
going with him, one of the few defensive players that when he is not in
the game, we don’t have a very good record without him. Our record got a
little bit better, which, I think, is a good sign for our football team."

The Chargers, currently holding an 8-6 record, have the chance to clinch
a playoff spot by handling their own business in Indianapolis as well as
receiving help from a few others. And the return of James, down this
final stretch, will unequivocally offer the defense a jolt.

“We expect to play better with one of the top players in the league out
there," Staley said. "I think that will be a great infusion of
leadership, production and energy.

The Chargers will clinch a playoff berth in Week 16 if the following
scenario takes shape:

Chargers beat the Colts
Jets lose to the Jaguars
Raiders lose to the Steelers
Patriots lose to the Bengals

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / SI: Chargers S Derwin James Making Progress From Quad Injury, Could Return to Practice This Week