The one sure way to make a lazy man look respectable is to put a fishing rod in his hand.

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Herbert play

SubjectAuthor
* Herbert playReneG
`* Re: Herbert playRobin Miller
 `- Re: Herbert playReneG

1
Herbert play

<3e4e69b3-110e-451d-8f2a-ca53e2b0827en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2758&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2758

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 10:51:34 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Herbert play
From: reneg1...@gmail.com (ReneG)
 by: ReneG - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 18:51 UTC

This offense doesn't feel right for Herbert, at least to me. He seems to be handcuffed. We have one week like Miami where the play calling is very good, then we have the last 2 weeks. Why such a difference? He excels outside the pocket but no designed scrambles yesterday. We either dink it or ask him to stay in a porous pocket and wait for a deep throw.

I know they're in the playoffs....but I feel Staley still has to go, especially with a proven coach waiting in the wings. Do we wait another couple years until we see Staley can't take us where we need to go, and then we're forced to get another coordinator? Or do we cut ties and go with a coach that has proven he knows how to get there. Coaches like that are not available very often.

Re: Herbert play

<k115geFb22gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2760&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2760

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: Herbert play
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 16:13:50 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 21:13 UTC

ReneG wrote:
> This offense doesn't feel right for Herbert, at least to me. He seems to be handcuffed. We have one week like Miami where the play calling is very good, then we have the last 2 weeks. Why such a difference? He excels outside the pocket but no designed scrambles yesterday. We either dink it or ask him to stay in a porous pocket and wait for a deep throw.

The offense wasn't this bad last season. I think the difference is an
undependable OL, despite the addition of Zion. They seem to be keeping
some of the eligible receivers in to block, at least initially, which
then really limits Herbert's options with only 2-3 receivers going
downfield (into defensive coverage of at least five men), and the rest
being able to only run short routes if they're able to release from
their blocking assignments.

> I know they're in the playoffs....but I feel Staley still has to go, especially with a proven coach waiting in the wings. Do we wait another couple years until we see Staley can't take us where we need to go, and then we're forced to get another coordinator? Or do we cut ties and go with a coach that has proven he knows how to get there. Coaches like that are not available very often.

Unless the Chargers fall really flat in the playoffs (and maybe not even
then), I don't see how you can do that. I'm still on the fence about
Staley, but I don't think the players are. Van Noy tweeted this overnight:

Kyle Van Noy @KVN_03

Haven’t said much to the media this year stayin low key but I think
y’all need to give some props to Staley! Obviously we just only made the
playoffs I get that still got a long ways to go but y’all was hate hate
hate and he kept us together injuries and all stayed the course!

12:57 AM · Dec 27, 2022

https://twitter.com/KVN_03/status/1607616549229154304

--Robin

Re: Herbert play

<bddabe83-e69b-4901-ab2b-1dc07df84da8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2761&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2761

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 15:51:31 -0800 (PST)
From: reneg1...@gmail.com (ReneG)
 by: ReneG - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 23:51 UTC

> The offense wasn't this bad last season. I think the difference is an
> undependable OL, despite the addition of Zion. They seem to be keeping
> some of the eligible receivers in to block, at least initially, which
> then really limits Herbert's options with only 2-3 receivers going
> downfield (into defensive coverage of at least five men), and the rest
> being able to only run short routes if they're able to release from
> their blocking assignments.

Miami has a solid D and the Chargers were creative by rolling out and not making Herbert a standing target. Why not show that creativity more often. If the line is porous, get him out of it. He went from being the least sacked QB at the beginning to the most.