Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.sport.nascar,rec.autos.sport.indycar,rec.autos.sport.cart
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Jenson Button: Why Many Europeans Have A Problem With NASCAR
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 09:08:45 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:08 UTC

from
https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nascar/a44273520/jenson-button-why-many-europeans-have-a-problem-with-nascar/

Jenson Button: Why Many Europeans Have A Problem With NASCAR
Past Formula 1 champ says even he has trouble wrapping his head around
some of the tactics he sees in NASCAR.

BY DEB WILLIAMSPUBLISHED: JUN 20, 2023
auto mar 24 nascar cup series echopark automotive grand prix
ICON SPORTSWIRE//GETTY IMAGES

NASCAR has had a presence in Europe since 2008 when the series that
would eventually become the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series made its debut.
Recently there have been rumors of the sanctioning body taking a NASCAR
Cup Series race to Europe.
Past Formula 1 champion Button believes NASCAR should partner with
another series for a European race weekend instead of going solo.
Formula 1 champion Jenson Button believes European racing fans would
enjoy NASCAR but says they would struggle with the sport’s tactics.

“I think the big one is the no rules in terms of how aggressive you can
be out on the track,” Button says. “We struggle with that initially
because it’s completely different to any other type of racing. In other
racing, if you tap a guy, you’re probably going to get a penalty or
damage to your car; whereas in NASCAR, that’s not the case.

"You can hit people and it’s down to the other guy either to retaliate
or to move out of the way. So that’s the biggest thing, I think, for the
European public to get their head around.”

NASCAR has had a presence in Europe since 2008 when the series that
would eventually become the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series made its debut.
However, recently there have been rumors of the sanctioning body taking
a NASCAR Cup Series race to Europe.

RELATED STORY
le mans 24 hour race
Jenson Button Plans to Race Full Time in 2024
Button says NASCAR shouldn’t wait too long to capitalize on the buzz
created by the stock car raced in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The Hendrick
Motorsports Garage 56 project won the pit crew competition and completed
the event, finishing 39th in the 62-car field.

“You’ve got to jump on what we did at Le Mans,” says Button, who
co-drove the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 with seven-time NASCAR champion Jimmie
Johnson and Mike Rockenfeller. “It could be easily forgotten.”

Button believes NASCAR should partner with another series for a European
race weekend instead of going solo. He pointed to a World Endurance Cup
weekend as a good possibility since “you have a big fan base there already.”

auto feb 05 nascar cup series busch light clash at the coliseum
Jenson Button says European racing purists have a tough time
understanding that banging other cars is just part of the game in NASCAR.
ICON SPORTSWIRE//GETTY IMAGES
Button believes the Netflix series that went behind the scenes in
Formula 1 played a key role in the sport’s growth in popularity in the
United States. He says NASCAR should do something similar in Europe to
introduce its competitors to those motorsports fans.

“In America, we love behind the scenes,” Button says. “We like seeing
the individuals that are actually competing and a bit of controversy.
You definitely got that on the (Netflix) TV show (on Formula 1). That’s
a big part of it.

“Racing is one thing. I think understanding the personalities that are
in the sport is something that I think the European fans would want to
know. Just seeing 39 cars drive around is great, but if you don’t know
who’s behind the wheel, you’ve got no one to really support unless you
just like the color of the car like my son does. So, I think there needs
to be a way of the European fans understanding the personalities within
the sport as much as enjoying the racing.”

Your racing fix, delivered.
Get Autoweek's globe-spanning motorsports coverage sent right to your inbox.

Email address
Enter your email address
SIGN ME UP!
By signing up, I agree to the Terms of Use (including the dispute
resolution procedures) and have reviewed the Privacy Notice.

This content is imported from OpenWeb. You may be able to find the same
content in another format, or you may be able to find more information,
at their web site.

Conversation45 Comments

pet6100
1 hour ago

The NASCAR concept of stages still blows my mind. The "race" is
guaranteed to be stopped twice for the sole reason of bunching up the
field. The 2nd stage is now a qualifying race to determine the order
for the actual race to the finish (3rd stage).

Re: Jenson Button: Why Many Europeans Have A Problem With NASCAR

<ddf33072-bb5d-45c0-9554-f397d5d86c32n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=278&group=rec.autos.sport.nascar#278

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.nascar
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 03:03:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: thekmanr...@gmail.com (Chris K-Man (Zickcermacity))
 by: Chris K-Man (Zickcer - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 10:03 UTC

On Wednesday, June 21, 2023 at 12:08:48 PM UTC-4, a425couple wrote:
> [...]
> Get Autoweek's globe-spanning motorsports coverage sent right to your inbox.
>
> Email address
> Enter your email address
> SIGN ME UP!
> By signing up, I agree to the Terms of Use (including the dispute
> resolution procedures) and have reviewed the Privacy Notice.
>
> This content is imported from OpenWeb. You may be able to find the same
> content in another format, or you may be able to find more information,
> at their web site.
>
> Conversation45 Comments
>
> pet6100
> 1 hour ago
>
> The NASCAR concept of stages still blows my mind. The "race" is
> guaranteed to be stopped twice for the sole reason of bunching up the
> field. The 2nd stage is now a qualifying race to determine the order
> for the actual race to the finish (3rd stage).
_________

That aggressiveness Europeans aren't used to in racing is rooted in the founding
of the U.S. itself. Remember: A small delegation of English and European dissenters
decided that the old world was becoming too "high brow" - favoring developing
technology over hard labor(read: slavery) and didn't like being told how to live
their lives.

The results of their journeys? The "good ol' USA"!