From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: ESPN: Kyle Van Noy pivotal in Chargers' defensive turnaround
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 15:16:31 -0500
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.14
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 20:16 UTC

https://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-chargers/post/_/id/29072/kyle-van-noy-pivotal-in-chargers-defensive-turnaround

Lindsey Thiry
ESPN

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Chargers roster-building strategy
over the offseason became quickly apparent: Add players who coach
Brandon Staley had previous experience coaching.

The Bolts traded for outside linebacker Khalil Mack and signed
cornerback Bryce Callahan, who Staley coached as an assistant with the
Chicago Bears. They also signed defensive linemen Sebastian Joseph-Day
and Morgan Fox and linebacker Troy Reeder, who Staley directed as
defensive coordinator of the Los Angeles Rams.

But Kyle Van Noy? The former New England Patriots linebacker and Staley
seemed to have no prior connection.

Staley, however, explained otherwise.

“It’s actually a really pure connection,” he said. “Which is the game film.”

Five seasons before the Chargers named Staley head coach, he served as
the defensive coordinator at John Carroll University, a Division III
football program in Ohio. There, Staley routinely showed players film of
Van Noy.

“That is the style we played,” Staley said. “I felt like I knew a lot
about him before I even met him. The good news for him is that he has
been better than advertised.”

On Sunday, a victory over the 4-12 Denver Broncos at Mile High Stadium
will guarantee the Chargers the No. 5 seed in the AFC playoffs, where
they’ll make an appearance for the first time in four years.

The Chargers are on a four-game win streak, albeit against teams that
have gone 2-13 over that same span. But with dominant victories over the
Indianapolis Colts and Rams, it’s proven to be a late-season surge
powered in large part because of a defensive turnaround that Van Noy
helped spark.

“Everybody's eating,” said defensive lineman Morgan Fox, who has a
career-high 6.5 sacks -- including four over the last four games. “The
defense is starting to mesh and click really well.”

Following a 27-20 loss to the Las Vegas Raiders in Week 13, Van Noy
called for a defensive-players-only meeting.

“We’re just trying to get on the same page and put a great product out
there that the fans are happy with,” said Van Noy, who won two Super
Bowls with the Patriots.

Despite losing several players to injuries, including edge rusher Joey
Bosa, cornerback J.C. Jackson and defensive lineman Austin Johnson, it
was glaringly apparent that the defense was underperforming, ranking
30th in the NFL allowing an average of 25.8 points per game.

At the meetings, film is reviewed, responsibilities are defined and
feedback is all but certain. Players have heard tough-but-necessary
truths about their play, but also credit when due.

“They’ve helped a lot with guys being honest and accountable,” Fox said.
“You have to be thick-skinned and transparent and so to be in a room
with each other and tell each other, ‘Hey, that’s not good enough,’
without getting feelings hurt is huge ... Our group has that thick skin
and has been able to go in there and learn and realize what we needed to
get better at.”

Not coincidentally, since Week 13, the defense has dramatically
improved, catapulting to the top of the rankings, having held their
previous four opponents to an average of 11 points per game -- the best
in the league.

The defensive efficiency has jumped from No. 26 to No. 5. They’ve gone
from allowing 371.7 yards per game, which ranked No. 26, to 238.3, a
league-best. The average number of sacks recorded per game has risen
from 1.8 to 4 and the touchdown-to-interception ratio has improved from
5-4 to 0-1.

“It’s been amazing because guys have really stepped [up] -- I’m talking
about guys that you wouldn’t expect to step up have really played big
roles and did everything we need as a team,” said safety Derwin James
Jr., who has been inactive three of the last four games due to a
quadricep injury and being placed into concussion protocol. “I feel like
we built so much depth over this season and it’s only going to help us
in the playoffs.”

Since Week 14, Van Noy has collected a sack in four straight games for
the first time in his career.

“Just getting comfortable in the role and all that,” said Van Noy, who
initially was anticipated to play inside linebacker until Bosa was
placed on injured reserve after Week 3. “Just think rushing better ...
[sacks], they come in bunches. Right?”

“He’s just doing all of the things that he’s always done, but I think
that he’s just in a comfort zone, playing with a lot of confidence,”
Staley said of Van Noy. “He’s been a very impactful player, not just
with his production on the field but in the locker room.”

Cornerback Michael Davis, starting in place of Jackson, also has come on
as of late with 12 passes defended and an interception over the last six
games.

“We’re playing with a lot more energy,” said second-year outside
linebacker Chris Rumph. “We’re playing for each other and I think that
basically is what it is.”

The Bolts are expected to only gain strength going into the postseason.

James will return against the Broncos and Bosa will be deployed for a
second game after recovering from groin surgery.

But even with improvement apparent and key personnel returning, one
thing is not expected to change -- the time the defense spends with each
other.

“They’ve helped tremendously,” Joseph-Day said of the player meetings.

“We’re going to keep doing them,” Van Noy said.

Re: ESPN: Kyle Van Noy pivotal in Chargers' defensive turnaround

<9bbca7b2-48b0-4cf6-b285-c406c86d8a4fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2821&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2821

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 13:55:57 -0800 (PST)
From: reneg1...@gmail.com (ReneG)
 by: ReneG - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 21:55 UTC

I have noticed less missed tackles. Guys seem to get to the ball and make the stop. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what it seems to me.

Re: ESPN: Kyle Van Noy pivotal in Chargers' defensive turnaround

<87fsclwzkk.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2822&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2822

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 18:05:31 -0800
 by: Eddie Grove - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 02:05 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> writes:

> https://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-chargers/post/_/id/29072/kyle-van-noy-pivotal-in-chargers-defensive-turnaround

> “Just getting comfortable in the role and all that,” said Van Noy, who
> initially was anticipated to play inside linebacker until Bosa was
> placed on injured reserve after Week 3. “Just think rushing better

So Van Noy was playing out of position since Week 3 ...

> ... [sacks], they come in bunches. Right?”
>
> “He’s just doing all of the things that he’s always done, but I think
> that he’s just in a comfort zone, playing with a lot of confidence,”

and now he's gotten comfortable.

I wonder what will happen when Bosa returns and Van Noy presumably goes
back to playing ILB.

Eddie