From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Webeck:_Warriors’_depth,_showcased_in_opener
,_reminds_Kerr_of_title_teams
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 16:39:49 -0700
 by: Allen - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 23:39 UTC

Warriors’ depth, showcased in opener, reminds Kerr of title teams
The Warriors got 55 points from their bench against the Lakers while
working all 12 active players into their rotation
>Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James, top left, looks to pass the
ball against the Golden State Warriors during the first half of an NBA
basketball game in Los Angeles, Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2021. (AP Photo/Ringo
H.W. Chiu)
>Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James, top left, looks to pass the
ball against the Golden State Warriors during the first half of an NBA
basketball game in Los Angeles, Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2021. (AP Photo/Ringo
H.W. Chiu)
By EVAN WEBECK | ewebeck@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: October 21, 2021 at 5:35 a.m. | UPDATED: October 21, 2021 at
2:51 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/10/21/golden-state-warriors-depth-reminds-steve-kerr-of-title-winning-teams/

LOS ANGELES — There’s something special happening at the end of the
Warriors roster, or at least Steve Kerr believes so. Just look at the
box score from Tuesday night.

Two key numbers: 12 and 55. As in 12 Warriors saw the court, and the
ones who didn’t start contributed 55 points. That kind of bench play
allowed the Warriors to skirt by the Lakers on a cold shooting night
from Steph Curry. It also conjured in Kerr’s mind memories of, we all
can agree, pretty good times.

“It just feels like five or six years ago,” Kerr said following the
opening night win, “when we just had guys up and down the roster who
could play. … We’ve got vets coming off the bench who just know how to
play (and) know how to win.”

It starts with Andre Iguodala, the sixth man extraordinaire back
anchoring the second unit after two years in Memphis and Miami.

But he’s surrounded by a new supporting cast, one that the Warriors
believe is a significant upgrade from a year ago in their fit within the
team’s style and philosophy.

On Tuesday, the Warriors were trailing the Lakers as the third quarter
came to a close. Curry sank three foul shots to pull Golden State within
two points, then headed to the bench for his usual rest at the start of
the final period.

Iguodala started the fourth with Jordan Poole, Nemanja Bjelica, Otto
Porter Jr. and Damion Lee. The group took a two-point deficit and
flipped it into a lead as large as eight points against the LeBron-led
top-line unit for the Lakers.

“That second unit at the start of the fourth quarter gave us a good
cushion,” Curry said afterward. “We took advantage of it in the last six
minutes. …

“It means a lot to know you can make the right play, see the attention,
double-team, triple-team, and get rid of it and everybody’s either a
threat to shoot or going to make the right play.”

Poole, Bjelica and Lee all scored seven fourth-quarter points to lead
the Warriors as they built and sustained a decisive lead.

Nobody stood out more Tuesday night than Bjelica. When he was on the
court, the Warriors outscored the Lakers by 20 points, or in Draymond
Green’s words, “(expletive), man, that’s incredible.”

With 15 points and 11 rebounds, Bjelica was the first player to record a
double-double off the bench in his Warriors debut since Sam K. Williams
(16 points, 12 rebounds) on Oct. 30, 1981, according to the Elias Sports
Bureau.

Bjelica’s versatile game has surprised his teammates.

“We knew he could shoot the ball. We knew he could space the floor,”
Poole said. “But seeing the way he puts in on the floor and makes the
extra pass and finds the open player, especially as a four man or a five
man, it makes him a lot more dangerous because you’ve got to respect his
3-point shot.”

Curry pointed to a play in the fourth quarter, where Bjelica drove to
the basket, then dropped down a pass to nearby Damion Lee, who finished
the play for two points.

“That kept our momentum going,” Curry said. “He has the freedom to make
those type of plays, especially when he’s at the five. He’s a threat to
shoot (and) can put the ball on the floor and read the defense.”

Iguodala, 37, is surprising some people, too. Just not Curry.

“When he came here, there was that narrative that was he just a locker
room presence and he’s just a veteran who’s gonna come in and be a
chaperone, make sure guys stayed on the straight and narrow,” Curry
said. “But he made it clear from day one that he’s still got a lot left
in the tank.”

The Warriors rely on Poole, 22, to provide the playmaking spark when
Curry isn’t on the floor.

The growing pains of the third-year guard were apparent at points with a
couple errant attempts at the basket and lapses on defense, including
one Kerr publicly pointed out.

“When Steph’s on the bench and Jordan’s out there making plays, we’re
able to spread the floor and get the ball moving,” Kerr said. “He made
some huge shots in the second half to get us started. That’s what we
know he can do. Now we’ve got to continue to work with him on not
letting Avery Bradley back cut him for a 3, and things like that. He
knows it, but I’m gonna stay on him, and I’m gonna keep mentioning those
plays.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors’ Steph Curry named to NBA’s 75th anniversary team
Update: Chase Center deemed up to code after tragic Phish concert
Warriors 3 Things: Golden State set a tone for the season in an
impressive win vs. LeBron and the Lakers
Sum of Warriors’ parts is greater than Lakers’ star power in
season-opening win
How Warriors rookie Moses Moody is approaching his first NBA game

Rookie Moses Moody saw substantial time at the end of the first half,
and even recently-waived-then-re-signed Gary Payton II got in for 7
seconds on a defensive possession (and made the most of it, teaming up
with Curry to rob Russell Westbrook).

Kerr isn’t the only one who is taken back to the days of Shaun
Livingston, Leandro Barbosa and Mo Speights.

Green can also recall the Warriors’ old “strength in numbers” mantra.

“We’ve got a lot of depth. When we’ve had those teams with a lot of
depth, we’ve done well,” he said. “So that’s a good thing for us.”

--
Evan Webeck | Reporter
Evan Webeck covers high-school sports on the field and beyond — and a

Re: Webeck: Warriors’ depth, showcased in opener, reminds Kerr of title teams

<itir7qFds3U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2881&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#2881

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Re:_Webeck:_Warriors’_depth,_showcased_in_opene
r,_reminds_Kerr_of_title_teams
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:23:15 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:23 UTC

Allen wrote:

> Warriors’ depth, showcased in opener, reminds Kerr of title teams
> The Warriors got 55 points from their bench against the Lakers while
> working all 12 active players into their rotation

> By EVAN WEBECK | ewebeck@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
> PUBLISHED: October 21, 2021 at 5:35 a.m. | UPDATED: October 21, 2021 at
> 2:51 p.m.
> https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/10/21/golden-state-warriors-depth-reminds-steve-kerr-of-title-winning-teams/

> LOS ANGELES — There’s something special happening at the end of the
> Warriors roster, or at least Steve Kerr believes so. Just look at the
> box score from Tuesday night.
>
> Two key numbers: 12 and 55. As in 12 Warriors saw the court, and the
> ones who didn’t start contributed 55 points. That kind of bench play
> allowed the Warriors to skirt by the Lakers on a cold shooting night
> from Steph Curry. It also conjured in Kerr’s mind memories of, we all
> can agree, pretty good times.

If they had an impactful big I'd feel better. Maybe Wiseman can become
that player.

--Robin

Re: Webeck: Warriors’ depth, showcased in opener, reminds Kerr of title teams

<sl8adv$um8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2889&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#2889

From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Re:_Webeck:_Warriors’_depth,_showcased_in_o
pener,_reminds_Kerr_of_title_teams
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 00:23:43 -0700
 by: Allen - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 07:23 UTC

On 10/23/2021 9:23 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

> Allen wrote:
>
>> Warriors’ depth, showcased in opener, reminds Kerr of title teams
>> The Warriors got 55 points from their bench against the Lakers while
>> working all 12 active players into their rotation
>
>> By EVAN WEBECK | ewebeck@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
>> PUBLISHED: October 21, 2021 at 5:35 a.m. | UPDATED: October 21, 2021
>> at 2:51 p.m.
>> https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/10/21/golden-state-warriors-depth-reminds-steve-kerr-of-title-winning-teams/
>

>> LOS ANGELES — There’s something special happening at the end of the
>> Warriors roster, or at least Steve Kerr believes so. Just look at the
>> box score from Tuesday night.
>>
>> Two key numbers: 12 and 55. As in 12 Warriors saw the court, and the
>> ones who didn’t start contributed 55 points. That kind of bench play
>> allowed the Warriors to skirt by the Lakers on a cold shooting night
>> from Steph Curry. It also conjured in Kerr’s mind memories of, we all
>> can agree, pretty good times.
>>

> If they had an impactful big I'd feel better. Maybe Wiseman can become
> that player.
>
> --Robin

Kuminga should also help when he comes back, as someone strong enough to
battle with the big guys.