[Babe] Ruth made a big mistake when he gave up pitching. -- Tris Speaker, 1921

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys / Re: Jerry Jones' message to Cowboys fans who already think season is over

SubjectAuthor
* Jerry Jones' message to Cowboys fans who already think season is overobserver
`- Re: Jerry Jones' message to Cowboys fans who already think season is overDLS S

1
Jerry Jones' message to Cowboys fans who already think season is over

<37253714-4466-4724-9851-640746a6c429n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2870&group=alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys#2870

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 15:51:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Jerry Jones' message to Cowboys fans who already think season is over
From: prohuman...@gmail.com (observer)
 by: observer - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 22:51 UTC

September 14 2022
https://www.nfl.com/news/jerry-jones-cowboys-season-over-david-slay-the-giant

"One of the things that has stood me about
football, & I'm comparing to the things that
we all do every day away from the football
is that it can be looking very dark, dark for
you & then it can reverse on you in an instant
.... It can go positive in an instant after you've ...

.... got -- we've got a lot of football. We've got
a lot of really top football players. & we got an
outstanding group that's coaching them up in
my view. ... You can think negatively and every-
body does & that's normal. But, boy, we got a
lot of positive things we can do. I have seen ...

.... it just hopeless and walk out there & David
slay the giant. I've seen it done."
https://www.nfl.com/news/jerry-jones-cowboys-season-over-david-slay-the-giant

Jerry's comment is intended to metaphorically
convey that the Cowboys, until Dak returns, will
be viewed as 'weak' like David was viewed as
'weak' compared to Goliath & Cowboys oppon-
ents viewed as 'strong' from the ancient 'David
& Goliath' mythological tale.

Note that Jerry is using "David slay the giant"
as metaphor, not as a religious literalist belief
in the bible.

Some quotes from notable freethinking scientist
& author Richard Dawkins:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/1194.Richard_Dawkins

“We are all atheists about most of the gods that
humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just
go one god further.”

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the
most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous
& proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-
freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser;
a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal,
genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal,
sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

“When one person suffers from a delusion, it is
called insanity. When many people suffer from
a delusion it is called Religion.”

“... The fascinating world of the very small never
came to the notice of primitive peoples. If you
think about this for a minute, it's not really sur-
prising ... they had no way of even knowing it
was there, and so of course they didn't invent
any myths to explain it. ...

.... It wasn't until the microscope was invented
in the 16th century that people discovered that
ponds & lakes, soil & dust, even our body, teem
with tiny living creatures ... The whole world is
made of incredibly tiny things, much too small
to be visible to the naked eye - and yet none ...

.... of the myths or so-called holy books that
some people, even now, think were given to us
by an all knowing god, mentions them at all.”

“I need to learn not to bend over backwards to
be nice to faith-heads. Give these people an
inch & they take a league. I think, as I did when
I wrote The God Delusion, that the Roman Cath-
olic Church is a disgusting institution, the sec-
ond most evil religion in the world.”

---
Sidenote: Interesting that Dawkins focused on
that as the supposed 2nd most evil religion &
did not address the large number of religions
that teach biblical literalism (often referred to
as fundamentalists), but I suppose that is such
a large number of different religions that it ...

.... would be difficult to list them all, & often
the religions having those proclivities consist
of different factions with some being biblical
literalists & some not taking the bible literally
& some only taking the parts of the bible they
like literally & dismissing or interpreting the ...

.... rest with positive spins or treating the anti-
humanistic parts as metaphorical. Dawkins
was brought up as Anglican, ceasing to be-
lieve in God in his teenage years, but I'd have
to research to try to find out the reasons why
he chose the Roman Catholic Church as the
2nd most evil religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Views_of_Richard_Dawkins

“Due to his views on Islamic extremism, Dawkins
declared that "Islam is the greatest force for evil
in the world today" ... I am against Islam not least
because of the unpleasant effects it has on the
lives of Muslims.”

End Sidenote
---

“The total amount of suffering per year in the na-
tural world is beyond all decent contemplation. Dur-
ing the minute that it takes me to compose this sen-
tence, thousands of animals are being eaten alive,
many others are running for their lives, whimpering
with fear, others are slowly being devoured from ...

.... within by rasping parasites, thousands of all kinds
are dying of starvation, thirst, and disease. ...”

[Dawkins' point in that quote in which he also men-
tioned people but didn't go into details on the daily
deaths, diseases, & injuries which happen to well
over 100,000 humans each day, his conclusion was
that “The universe that we observe has precisely the
properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, ...

.... no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing
but pitiless indifference.” I differ with his conclusion
which is rather bleak, & I also differ with his confi-
dence in stating death is certain finality, but from
the standpoint of convincing evidence, I concede
that my wish for a continued pleasant existence ...

.... is unsubstantiated but for whatever reason, per-
haps something intrinsic to my memetic/genetic
totality of being, I find that to be an innocent and
pleasant fantasy that brings joy to my heart and
my face is wanting to smile as I write this, despite
the lack of evidence it's reality.

My rejection of the panoply of religious fantasies
regarding such matters does not persuade me
that within the realm of naturalistic unknowns &
the infinity of possibilities, that the desire for a
pleasant continuance is so unlikely to happen that
dismissing it totally is reasonable.

I wouldn't characterize it as a belief, I'd simply say
that for reasons unknown I find it impossible to
dismiss it as a possibility, even though I have no
clue how it would happen. But then again, there
are so many unknowns in the naturalistic multi-
verses, I'd submit it's illogical to be totally ...

.... confident that a pleasant continuance isn't a
part of the naturalistic totality that we, even today
with all our advances & knowledge, still are far
removed from solving all the mysteries regarding
the totality of all that is, all that was, and all that
ever will be.]

--- --- ---

Re: Jerry Jones' message to Cowboys fans who already think season is over

<056ab93d-7f43-426c-9eb0-441aebb667e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2872&group=alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys#2872

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 18:23:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: dls...@gmail.com (DLS S)
 by: DLS S - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 01:23 UTC

On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 6:51:49 PM UTC-4, observer wrote:
> [...]
>
> My rejection of the panoply of religious fantasies
> regarding such matters does not persuade me
> that within the realm of naturalistic unknowns &
> the infinity of possibilities, that the desire for a
> pleasant continuance is so unlikely to happen that
> dismissing it totally is reasonable.
>
> I wouldn't characterize it as a belief, I'd simply say
> that for reasons unknown I find it impossible to
> dismiss it as a possibility, even though I have no
> clue how it would happen. But then again, there
> are so many unknowns in the naturalistic multi-
> verses, I'd submit it's illogical to be totally ...
>
> ... confident that a pleasant continuance isn't a
> part of the naturalistic totality that we, even today
> with all our advances & knowledge, still are far
> removed from solving all the mysteries regarding
> the totality of all that is, all that was, and all that

Again silly thoughts who think the season is over.

Just the same as those that say what a team's most important games are before the season.