From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Webeck: Nemanja Bjelica left Sacramento and found greener pastures
with Golden State
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 00:45:11 -0700
 by: Allen - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 07:45 UTC

Nemanja Bjelica left Sacramento and found greener pastures with Golden State
The Warriors' free-agent signing called his return to Sacramento 'a
normal game' but did disagree with some of the Kings' moves in his final
year
>Golden State Warriors forward Nemanja Bjelica (8) is defended by Los
Angeles Lakers forward Anthony Davis (3) during the first half of an NBA
basketball game in Los Angeles, Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2021. (AP Photo/Ringo
H.W. Chiu)
>Golden State Warriors forward Nemanja Bjelica (8) is defended by Los
Angeles Lakers forward Anthony Davis (3) during the first half of an NBA
basketball game in Los Angeles, Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2021. (AP Photo/Ringo
H.W. Chiu)
By EVAN WEBECK | ewebeck@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: October 24, 2021 at 1:39 p.m. | UPDATED: October 24, 2021 at
2:08 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/10/24/nemanja-bjelica-left-sacramento-and-found-greener-pastures-with-golden-state/

SACRAMENTO — Upon his return to his home for the better part of the past
three seasons, Nemanja Bjelica insisted Sunday’s game against the Kings
wasn’t any different for him than any of the other 81 games on the
Warriors’ schedule.

“The first few years in Sacramento were the best years of my NBA
career,” Bjelica said before the Warriors departed Saturday afternoon.
“So Sacramento will always be important for me as a city. I’ve met a lot
of people there. But I’m a professional, so it’s a normal game.”

Since signing on with Golden State this offseason, Bjelica is already
looking like a bargain. After earning $20 million over the past three
seasons, Golden State inked the 6-foot-10 Serbian to a $2 million
contract after he failed to match the numbers from his breakout 2019-20
season. He looked like a potent force in the Warriors’ season opener,
posting the first double-double in a debut with the team in almost 30 years.

Bjelica had the fortune of being one of the Kings’ only consistently
healthy players in his final full season with the team, in 2019-20,
before Sacramento dealt him to Miami midway through last season. He
posted career highs in nearly every statistical category, including the
only double-figure scoring average of his career (11.5 ppg).

“Sometimes, I was pissed because that was the only opportunity for me to
show I can play and that I’m more than a stretch 4,” Bjelica recalled.
“But in the NBA, it’s all about situation and opportunity. We had a good
system there.”

Coach Steve Kerr mentioned recently how often Bjelica expresses his
appreciation for Golden State’s system, which has allowed him to expand
his role beyond a catch-and-shoot big man. Through his first two games,
Bjelica is averaging 10.5 points and 8.5 rebounds, but he’s also dished
out four assists.

Bjelica’s ability to put the ball on the floor and, importantly, knowing
when to pass it and to whom, has surprised his new teammates.

“When he gets the ball in space and people run at him — we’ve seen it
throughout camp — he can pump fake, put it on the floor and find
people,” Kerr said. “Great passer. Just a really good basketball player.
… Guys with good feel have always been a great fit with us. He’s
absolutely a great fit.”

Bjelica only got to showcase those skills in bits and spurts through the
first six years of his NBA career after earning EuroLeague MVP honors
before arriving stateside.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Why Steve Kerr called the Warriors’ last win their most complete yet
Steph Curry leads Warriors to their best start since 73-win season
Why Andre Iguodala is out for the Warriors against the Kings
Four numbers the Warriors are focusing on heading to Sacramento
Klay Thompson is incensed over his exclusion from NBA 75 team — his
teammates love it

Like their Northern California neighbors, the Kings missed out on the
bubble in the COVID-shortened 2020 season, but Bjelica thought he proved
himself in his extended opportunity. Sacramento, instead, reduced his
role and parted ways with two fellow countrymen: Vlade Divac, the
general manager who signed him, and Bogdan Bogdanović, who signed with
Atlanta in free agency.

Bjelica said he disagreed with the moves, but he sees the Kings moving
in the right direction in their third year under head coach Luke Walton,
a former Kerr assistant.

“I think they made a big mistake in letting Bogdan Bogdanović leave the
team for nothing,” Bjelica said. “They just tried to rebuild, I guess.
But Sacramento, now, they’re looking really good. They have a great core.”

--
Evan Webeck | Reporter
Evan Webeck covers high-school sports on the field and beyond — and a