From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: SI: Chargers Encouraged With the Outlook of Rookie Offensive Lineman
Zion Johnson, Jamaree Salyer
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:03:52 -0500
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.15
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 20:03 UTC

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/chargers-zion-johnson-jamaree-salyer-rookie-offensive-lineman-tom-telesco

Chargers Encouraged With the Outlook of Rookie Offensive Lineman Zion
Johnson, Jamaree Salyer

Tom Telesco reflects on the performance from rookies Zion Johnson and
Jamaree Salyer this season.

Nicholas Cothrel
4 hours ago

The Chargers have been no stranger to invest in their offensive line
through the NFL Draft.

In 2021, they selected Rashawn Slater with the No. 13 overall pick out
of Northwestern to serve as Justin Herbert's blindside protector. Last
year, they followed suit, returning to the offensive line to pick Zion
Johnson out of Boston College with the No. 17 overall selection to
bolster the right guard spot.

Johnson made all 17 starts this season, but he wasn't the only
first-year player along the offensive line to play meaningful snaps for
the Chargers as a rookie.

Jamaree Salyer, the team's sixth-round pick out of Georgia, was forced
into action at left tackle after initially thought of as an interior
player at the pro level. After spending training camp almost exclusively
between the two guard positions, Salyer returned to his college roots
and stepped in at left tackle, making 14 starts in place of Slater, who
suffered a torn biceps injury on Sept. 25.

As the Chargers' 2022 season has come to a close, general manger Tom
Telesco voiced his pleasure of the performance from his young offensive
line, particularly the play of Johnson and Salyer.

"Zion, really happy with him. He had his ups and downs like a rookie
offensive lineman is going to have," Telesco said of Johnson. "I know
when we drafted him, I said, ‘You can’t expect him to step in like
Rashawn Slater did.’ What Rashawn did is just really uncommon, but Zion
gives us an edge and a toughness inside.

"If he makes a mistake, he doesn’t make the same mistake twice. I just
think he has a really high ceiling. He’s really mature. A lot of that
stuff that we thought when we drafted him, you don’t know until you see
it at this level, and to see him out there, he battled for us. I’m
really proud of how he played, and I think he has a long way to go.”

Johnson played 1,187 offensive snaps, allowing five sacks and seven
quarterback hits, according to the metics of Pro Football Focus.

Salyer, being called upon in Week 4 to take over the starting role at
left tackle, exceeded any prior notions that led to him being a Day 3
selection in the 2022 NFL Draft. Salyer didn’t commit his first sack
until the seventh start he made, keeping Herbert upright in the pocket
for the first month and a half of facing furious pass rushers.

“He saved us this year," Telesco said of Salyer. "I wish that I could
say that I was smart enough to say we were going to draft him to play
guard, but that he could go play left tackle if Rashawn gets hurt, and
play really good football. That wasn’t the case.

"He played tackle in college. That’s the one benefit when you draft a
tackle in college that you really see as a guard, you always know, ‘Hey,
look. We could put him out there if we had to,’ because he has
experience doing it."

In totality, Salyer logged 989 offensive snaps, allowing five sacks and
10 quarterback hits, according to the metics of Pro Football Focus.

As Slater will return next season to his position off the left side
following his recovery from biceps surgery, Salyer's impact was so
prevalent that Telesco indicated he's earned the right to encompass a
starting role in 2023. However, the status of what position Salyer
occupies is to be determined.

"He played really efficient football for us at a critical position,"
Telesco said. "As you move into next year, as good as Jamaree played, I
feel pretty comfortable that Rashawn Slater will be our left tackle, but
we’ll figure out what the best role for Jamaree is.

"Do we see him at a guard or a tackle for next year? I don’t know yet,
to be honest with you. I’m not sure.”

One possible scenario is bumping Salyer over one spot on the offensive
line to the left guard position, taking over for Matt Feiler, who's
coming off an up-and-down campaign. The Chargers can get out of the
final year of Feiler's contract with a dead cap hit of $2 million, while
saving $6.5 million.

Meanwhile, right tackle is also a possibility for Salyer, as Trey
Pipkins will become an unrestricted free agent at the start of the new
league year in March. Pipkins performed well in his first full season as
a starter, so perhaps the plan could be to re-sign him to remain at
right tackle and place Salyer at left guard.