From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Season record prediction contest winners
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 15:13:44 -0500
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.14
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 20:13 UTC

So no one picked 10-7, but the closest were Eddie and phlash74 (Michael)
at 11-6. So they are tied as the winners.

--Robin

Here's what everyone had to say at the beginning of the season, when
hopes were high (well, for everyone except Tweekgeek!):

max headroom: 14-3

vs. Las Vegas L 0-1
@ Kansas City L 0-2
vs. Jacksonville W 1-2
@ Houston W 2-2
@ Cleveland W 3-2
vs. Denver W 4-2
vs. Seattle W 5-2
BYE
@ Atlanta W 6-2
@ San Francisco W 7-2
vs. Kansas City W 8-2
@ Arizona W 9-2
@ Las Vegas W 10-2
vs. Miami W 11-2
vs. Tennessee W 12-2
@ Indianapolis W 13-2
vs. LA Rams L 13-3
@ Denver W 14-3

Wildly optimistic, I know. I really think they should win at home
against the Titans and Colts. They should be able to smother Russell
Wilson and beat Denver twice. A big question will be if the loss of
Tyreek Hill hurts the Chiefs as much as the addition of Devonte Adams
helps the Raiders.

Will they play down to the level of the Jags and Texans, as the Chargers
often do? Will Miami still own them? These are the games I worry about.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a three-way race at the end of the
season with the Chargers, Chiefs, and Raiders all making the play-offs.

Jim Lehmann: 12-5

12-5 optimist...

Rene G: 12-5

12-5 with a playoff birth.

Robin: 12-5

Eddie Grove: 11-6

At the moment, I'm picking each home team to win each AFC West division
game. So that's 3-3 to start.

For the rest:

These look like good opportunities

> vs. Jacksonville W 2-1
> @ Houston W 3-1
> @ Cleveland W 4-1
> vs. Seattle W 6-1
> @ Atlanta W 7-1
> vs. Tennessee W 10-4
> vs. Miami W 9-4

Seven games, say 6-1.

These look more like tossups, a shame Arizona not at the beginning
[no Hopkins] nor at the end [gimpy Murray].

> @ San Francisco L 7-2
> @ Arizona L 8-3
> @ Indianapolis L 10-5
> vs. LA Rams L 10-6
The Rams looked terrible, but I'm trying not to overreact.

Say 2-2.

I wonder how many games will be decided by gruesome officiating.
I'll probably think 3. If that flips 2 wins and 1 loss,
I should go with 10-7, but I'll stick with 11-6.

11-6. Final answer.

Eddie

phlash74 (Michael): 11-6

vs. Las Vegas W 1-0
@ Kansas City L 1-1
vs. Jacksonville W 2-1
@ Houston W 3-1
@ Cleveland W 4-1
vs. Denver W 5-1
vs. Seattle W 6-1
BYE
@ Atlanta W 7-1
@ San Francisco L 7-2
vs. Kansas City W 8-2
@ Arizona L 8-3
@ Las Vegas L 8-4
vs. Miami W 9-4
vs. Tennessee W 10-4
@ Indianapolis L 10-5
vs. LA Rams L 10-6
@ Denver W 11-6

I'll say they win the division on tiebreakers over the Chiefs, finishing
as the no. 3 seed in the AFC, beating the Bengals in the wild card
round, whomping the second seeded Colts in the divisional round, before
getting frozen out in the AFC Championship Game at top seeded Buffalo.
The Bills will go on to lose the Super Bowl to an NFC East team for the
5th time, this time the Philadelphia Eagles.

Tweekgeek: 8-9

Spanos curse remains intact...sigh... run game flops, special teams
atrocious, injuries will kill them cause very thin depth... 8-9

Re: Season record prediction contest winners

<tqpmd8$ao1i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2920&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2920

From: Tweekg...@nowhere.com (Tweekgeek)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: Season record prediction contest winners
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 14:34:12 -0800
 by: Tweekgeek - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 22:34 UTC

On 09-Jan-23 12:13 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

> [...]
> vs. Kansas City W 8-2
> @ Arizona L 8-3
> @ Las Vegas L 8-4
> vs. Miami W 9-4
> vs. Tennessee W 10-4
> @ Indianapolis L 10-5
> vs. LA Rams L 10-6
> @ Denver W 11-6
>
> I'll say they win the division on tiebreakers over the Chiefs, finishing
> as the no. 3 seed in the AFC, beating the Bengals in the wild card
> round, whomping the second seeded Colts in the divisional round, before
> getting frozen out in the AFC Championship Game at top seeded Buffalo.
> The Bills will go on to lose the Super Bowl to an NFC East team for the
> 5th time, this time the Philadelphia Eagles.
>

>     Tweekgeek: 8-9
>
> Spanos curse remains intact...sigh... run game flops, special teams
> atrocious, injuries will kill them cause very thin depth...  8-9

Just call me "Icecube", I guess...

--
Tweek

Re: Season record prediction contest winners

<k3b95uFa7n5U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2922&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2922

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 18:50:19 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 23:50 UTC

Tweekgeek wrote:
> [...]
>> vs. Kansas City W 8-2
>> @ Arizona L 8-3
>> @ Las Vegas L 8-4
>> vs. Miami W 9-4
>> vs. Tennessee W 10-4
>> @ Indianapolis L 10-5
>> vs. LA Rams L 10-6
>> @ Denver W 11-6
>>
>> I'll say they win the division on tiebreakers over the Chiefs,
>> finishing as the no. 3 seed in the AFC, beating the Bengals in the
>> wild card round, whomping the second seeded Colts in the divisional
>> round, before getting frozen out in the AFC Championship Game at top
>> seeded Buffalo. The Bills will go on to lose the Super Bowl to an NFC
>> East team for the 5th time, this time the Philadelphia Eagles.
>>

>>      Tweekgeek: 8-9
>>
>> Spanos curse remains intact...sigh... run game flops, special teams
>> atrocious, injuries will kill them cause very thin depth...  8-9

That's a blast from the past!

:-)

--Robin

Re: Season record prediction contest winners

<5e93fd4a-0d40-481e-b134-1dde5e1df96fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2924&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2924

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 19:21:54 -0800 (PST)
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 03:21 UTC

On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 3:50:24 PM UTC-8, Robin Miller wrote:
> [...]
> >> vs. Kansas City W 8-2
> >> @ Arizona L 8-3
> >> @ Las Vegas L 8-4
> >> vs. Miami W 9-4
> >> vs. Tennessee W 10-4
> >> @ Indianapolis L 10-5
> >> vs. LA Rams L 10-6
> >> @ Denver W 11-6
> >>
> >> I'll say they win the division on tiebreakers over the Chiefs,
> >> finishing as the no. 3 seed in the AFC, beating the Bengals in the
> >> wild card round, whomping the second seeded Colts in the divisional
> >> round, before getting frozen out in the AFC Championship Game at top
> >> seeded Buffalo. The Bills will go on to lose the Super Bowl to an NFC
> >> East team for the 5th time, this time the Philadelphia Eagles.
> >>

> >> Tweekgeek: 8-9
> >>
> >> Spanos curse remains intact...sigh... run game flops, special teams
> >> atrocious, injuries will kill them cause very thin depth... 8-9

I still remember the year I joined the group (2006) and Iceberg correctly predicted 14-2 after what I gathered was years of well-earned pessimism.

Michael

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: Season record prediction contest winners