From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Webeck:_Warriors’_James_Wiseman_cleared_to_prac
tice_—_next_stop:_Santa_Cruz?
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 17:45:11 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 00:45 UTC

Warriors’ James Wiseman cleared to practice — next stop: Santa Cruz?
Golden State Warriors' lottery pick cleared to rejoin full team practice
>Sacramento Kings guard Buddy Hield defends Golden State Warriors
center James Wiseman (33) during the second half of an NBA basketball
game in Sacramento, Calif., Thursday, March 25, 2021. The Kings won
141-119. (AP Photo/Randall Benton)
>Sacramento Kings guard Buddy Hield defends Golden State Warriors
center James Wiseman (33) during the second half of an NBA basketball
game in Sacramento, Calif., Thursday, March 25, 2021. The Kings won
141-119. (AP Photo/Randall Benton)
By EVAN WEBECK | ewebeck@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: November 1, 2021 at 3:05 p.m. | UPDATED: November 2, 2021 at
4:00 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/11/01/warriors-james-wiseman-cleared-to-practice-next-stop-santa-cruz/

SAN FRANCISCO — James Wiseman’s return is on the horizon, its shadow
growing in size by the day now (already immense, with his
6-foot-11-and-a-half stature, as it is.)

Wiseman, the No. 2 overall selection in the 2020 NBA draft, took an
important step in his recovery from the torn meniscus in his right knee
Monday when he rejoined full team activities at practice. The only
activity he’s not cleared for is scrimmage, coach Steve Kerr said. Those
eventual live reps can come in the practice gym or with the G League’s
Santa Cruz Warriors, and it sounds like Wiseman may have a preference.

“I would like to go down there, so that I just get sharp, physically
(and) mentally,” Wiseman said after practice. “And I’m getting there, so
whatever happens, I’m down for whatever. … I just need a lot of runs
(and) a lot of playing time.”

Wiseman’s rehab from the injury that prematurely ended his rookie season
has been a “gradual improvement over time,” that took its next step
Monday, Kerr said. There is no timeline for his return to an NBA court.

“It’s a good step but it’s just part of the process,” Kerr said. “One
thing I know is we’re not just going to throw him out on the court
without getting him up and down and getting him some game action.”

When Wiseman is fully ready, he’ll bring a new dimension to a team that,
at 5-1, is already off to the hottest start in the Western Conference.
The Warriors don’t feature a lob threat, or much size at all.

During a timeout of a recent game, Stephen Curry walked up to Wiseman
and pointed out a play he could have lobbed the ball to a big man for a
dunk but instead dumped it to Kevon Looney, who drew a foul.

“That’s the type of play, where if I’m in that position, I could
potentially dunk that,” Wiseman said. “So basically, Steph was like,
‘When you come back, there’s gonna be a lot of lobs right there.’ … So
that’s going to be a lot of opportunities for me to score.”

As a rookie, Wiseman started the majority of his games and was a focal
point on the court. The pressure’s off this season, and the time away
forced him to narrow his focus on fundamentals and in the weight room.
Wiseman said he added 7-10 pounds of muscle during his rehab.

“I feel better than where I was last year, strength-wise,” Wiseman said.
“I wasn’t able to do nothing for, like, five and a half, six months, so
I just lifted (and) made sure I had a balanced diet. … I made sure I
watched a lot of film.”

The Warriors clearly plan to utilize their G League affiliate to develop
their trio of young lottery picks.

With a roster built to win this year and proven capable through six
games, Golden State doesn’t need immediate contributions from Wiseman,
Jonathan Kuminga or Moses Moody. Unlike last season, when Wiseman was
thrown into the deep end, the Warriors want to use this season to teach
the young players “how to win”, in hopes they will develop into their
next core.

Kerr said stints in Santa Cruz would be possible for all three players.

Moody already exemplified that option when he was sent to Santa Cruz and
recalled within a 24-hour span before Saturday’s game against Oklahoma
City. The Warriors were off the night before, so they sent him to get
work in with the G League squad.

“There will be plenty of nights where we’re off in the Bay and Santa
Cruz has a game and our young guys will go down and play,” Kerr said.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Klay Thompson’s return is ‘light at the end of the tunnel’ for Golden
State Warriors
Parole board recommends clemency for inmate championed by Steph Curry
Warriors 3 Things: An ‘organic’ Draymond Green sparks Warriors in
blowout win over OKC
Warriors rebound from first loss with big win over Oklahoma City
Warriors’ top draft picks Kuminga, Moody are available to face
Thunder — but probably not at the same time

Kuminga, who made his NBA debut Saturday, is expected to receive the
same treatment. He missed most of the preseason and the Warriors’ first
five games with a knee injury and “needs the scrimmaging badly,” Kerr
said. In his limited time on the court, his length and speed have
impressed, particularly on defense.

Gary Payton II, a veteran of five G League seasons, had a piece of
advice to the young lottery picks as they embark on stints in the NBA’s
training ground.

“The competition … it’s a dogfight down there. Everybody’s trying to
fight for 10-day (contracts) or whatever it may be,” Payton said. “I
think Moody going down there and getting some games in is going to help
him tremendously.”

--
Evan Webeck | Reporter
Evan Webeck covers high-school sports on the field and beyond — and a