From: mrbrk...@panix.com (Ruben Safir)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Subject: flores gets his reward...
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:56:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ruben Safir - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:56 UTC

Flores gets 2-year extension from Giants (report)

https://www.mlb.com/news/wilmer-flores-giants-extension

On Sunday, Wilmer Flores hit a home run in the eighth inning to give the
Giants an important insurance run in their 4-2 win over the Cubs. One
day later, Flores got some insurance of his own, agreeing on a two-year
contract extension with a mutual option for 2025, per MLB Network
insider Joel Sherman. The financial terms of the deal are not yet known,
and the team has not confirmed the deal.

Flores, 31, has put together a career year at the plate, while
continuing to showcase his trademark versatility in the field. In 132
games this year, Flores has slugged 18 home runs (which ties his career
best, set last year) and has driven in a career-high 65 runs. He’s
also exhibiting strong plate discipline, as evidenced by his solid whiff
rate (84th percentile) and strikeout rate (78th percentile).

Despite primarily playing second base this year (52 appearances), Flores
has also seen time at first base (37) and third base (32), which gives
the Giants some versatility over the next couple years as they try to
build a more athletic roster. With Brandon Belt still unsure about
returning next year and the futures of Evan Longoria, Brandon Crawford
and Tommy La Stella up in the air, Flores should continue to play all
over the diamond over the next two years.

Re: flores gets his reward...

<tfoqvh$2g64g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2975&group=alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets#2975

From: alreadyd...@hotmail.com (*ernie)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets
Subject: Re: flores gets his reward...
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 22:47:03 -0400
 by: *ernie - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 02:47 UTC

On 9/12/2022 1:56 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:

> Flores gets 2-year extension from Giants (report)
>
> https://www.mlb.com/news/wilmer-flores-giants-extension
>
> On Sunday, Wilmer Flores hit a home run in the eighth inning to give the
> Giants an important insurance run in their 4-2 win over the Cubs. One
> day later, Flores got some insurance of his own, agreeing on a two-year
> contract extension with a mutual option for 2025, per MLB Network
> insider Joel Sherman. The financial terms of the deal are not yet known,
> and the team has not confirmed the deal.
>
> Flores, 31, has put together a career year at the plate, while
> continuing to showcase his trademark versatility in the field. In 132
> games this year, Flores has slugged 18 home runs (which ties his career
> best, set last year) and has driven in a career-high 65 runs. He’s
> also exhibiting strong plate discipline, as evidenced by his solid whiff
> rate (84th percentile) and strikeout rate (78th percentile).
>
> Despite primarily playing second base this year (52 appearances), Flores
> has also seen time at first base (37) and third base (32), which gives
> the Giants some versatility over the next couple years as they try to
> build a more athletic roster. With Brandon Belt still unsure about
> returning next year and the futures of Evan Longoria, Brandon Crawford
> and Tommy La Stella up in the air, Flores should continue to play all
> over the diamond over the next two years.

I'm happy for him. I'm a Wilmer Flores fan and still think he'd be a
better right-hand hitting bench option than Rueben Tejada, J.D. Davis or
Darin Ruf. I don't care what his numbers are; the guy's a good luck charm.