From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: USA Today: Two former Chargers coaches joining Sean Payton's Broncos
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:11:32 -0500
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.15
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 20:11 UTC

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/23/chargers-broncos-joe-lombardi-sean-payton/

Gavino Borquez
February 23, 2023 4:23 pm PT

The Chargers relieved former offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi last
month. And now he’s on another staff, heading to Los Angeles’ AFC West
rivals.

The Broncos are hiring Lombardi to join Sean Payton’s staff, according
to 9News’ Mike Klis. His role is yet to be determined, but being
Denver’s offensive coordinator is a possibility.

This will be Lombardi’s third assistant coaching stint with Payton. He
had two previously with the Saints and now will follow him once more to
be on his coaching staff.

The Chargers let go of Lombardi because, in his first season as OC, they
were top 5 in offensive DVOA, but they declined to 19th in offensive
DVOA this past season. Additionally, his offense wasn’t catering to the
strengths of quarterback Justin Herbert.

Along with Lombardi, former linebackers coach Michael Wilhoite is also
headed to the Broncos, where he will serve as the outside linebackers
coach. Wilhoite spent two seasons with Payton in New Orleans, one as a
special teams assistant and the other as a defensive assistant.