From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Popper: Chargers intend to achieve cap compliance primarily by
restructuring contracts
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 20:39:10 -0500
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.15
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 01:39 UTC

https://theathletic.com/4269755/2023/03/03/chargers-nfl-combine-keenan-allen/

Chargers pledge to keep Keenan Allen and other parting thoughts from NFL
combine

By Daniel Popper
March 3, 2023

INDIANAPOLIS — Here are some parting thoughts as I head back west from
the NFL Scouting Combine.

1. General manager Tom Telesco gave beat writers one public statement
this week: “Keenan Allen isn’t going anywhere.” The Chargers are more
than $20 million over the cap and could save $14.8 million in space by
cutting Allen, according to Over The Cap. They could also save more than
$16 million by trading Allen. However, the Chargers seem determined to
keep their nucleus of star players as close to intact as possible. Allen
is included in that group, of course. He is still an excellent player.
Injuries, including Allen’s lingering hamstring strain, totally derailed
the Chargers’ vision for their roster in 2022. The team wants to see
that vision fully realized in 2023, if possible. As Brandon Staley said
Tuesday: “Now I want our team to stay healthy. I want our team to get to
play together because our team didn’t get to play together.”

Keeping Allen, though, would make the roster-building path more
precarious. The Chargers would lose an elite receiver if they released
or traded Allen. But they could also use those savings to invest in
multiple other players, like right tackle Trey Pipkins III and
linebacker Drue Tranquill, who are both headed for free agency. The
Chargers, instead, are planning to navigate their cap situation
primarily by restructuring existing deals. Edge rusher Joey Bosa, edge
rusher Khalil Mack and center Corey Linsley are the best candidates for
restructures. They can also save $10.75 million by cutting left guard
Matt Feiler and tight end Gerald Everett, according to Over The Cap.
Between those five moves, the Chargers can clear as much as $43.06
million in space, using figures from Over The Cap. That would leave them
$22.68 million under the cap.

That is enough space to function. But there will be limitations on how
the Chargers can build their roster if they go this route. The cap
situation is not ideal, plain and simple. As I wrote earlier this
offseason: “If the Chargers want to keep Allen for 2023, the cap math
starts to get difficult. Not impossible. But difficult.” And now the
Chargers are publicly saying that they plan to enter that difficult reality.

[rest snipped]

Re: Popper: Chargers intend to achieve cap compliance primarily by restructuring contracts

<5353476b-458c-4d7b-aa52-47c656b96737n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2988&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2988

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 15:44:36 -0800 (PST)
restructuring contracts
From: reneg1...@gmail.com (ReneG)
 by: ReneG - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 23:44 UTC

On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 5:39:18 PM UTC-8, Robin Miller wrote:
> They can also save $10.75 million by cutting left guard
> Matt Feiler and tight end Gerald Everett, according to Over The Cap.

Everett plays with a mean streak that is needed on offense. He looks angry when he plays.