Ever feel like you're the head pin on life's bowling alley, and everyone's rolling strikes?

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: ESPN.com: Every NFL team's best and worst free agency signing of the last five years

SubjectAuthor
* ESPN.com: Every NFL team's best and worst free agency signing of thephlash74
`- Re: ESPN.com: Every NFL team's best and worst free agency signing ofRobin Miller

1
ESPN.com: Every NFL team's best and worst free agency signing of the last five years

<9574a000-4292-41f0-92a7-e9b81e65ce0an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2990&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2990

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 08:50:38 -0800 (PST)
Subject: ESPN.com: Every NFL team's best and worst free agency signing of the
last five years
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 16:50 UTC

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35799859/best-worst-free-agent-signings-every-nfl-team-last-five-years

(usual drill, full story at the link, intro and Chargers' section below):

NFL free agency: Best, worst signings for every team since 2018
play
4:15 AM PT
NFL Nation
ESPN

NFL free agency is right around the corner, with the negotiating window starting Monday before players can be signed at the start of the new league year on Wednesday, March 15. This results in multiyear contracts worth millions of dollars, news conferences and giddiness from fans and front office people alike.

Sometimes that excitement turns into big plays and epic victories. Sometimes it goes completely the opposite direction. Our goal was to capture both sides of the free agent spectrum, so we had our NFL Nation reporters pick one free agent signing since 2018 from the teams they cover that really hit, and another that missed badly.

Some names will make you smile, and others will have you muttering under your breath, but either way, it'll set you up for the free agent frenzy to come.

Los Angeles Chargers
Best signing: Corey Linsley, C, 2021

The Chargers signed Linsley to a five-year, $62.5 million contract, and the nine-year veteran center has since provided consistency and leadership not only on the offensive line, but for the entire offense and most importantly quarterback Justin Herbert. The only knock on Linsley? He missed three games last season because of various issues, including a knee injury, illness and a concussion, and as he prepares for a 10th season, it's reasonable to question whether he will remain healthy for the remaining three seasons of his contract.

Worst signing: Bryan Bulaga, OT, 2020

Bulaga signed a three-year, $30 million contract and was expected to anchor the line at right tackle. But after playing nine seasons in Green Bay, Bulaga could not remain healthy with the Chargers. In 2020, he missed six games because of various injuries, including a back injury, a concussion and a foot issue. In 2021 Bulaga played 43 snaps in Week 1 before he suffered an injury that required season-ending core muscle surgery and was placed on injured reserve. With one year remaining on his deal, the Chargers released Bulaga after the season. The Chargers' search for stability at right tackle continues. -- Lindsey Thiry

(One other note: Seattle's best signing was Uchenna Nwosu last year, he had a career-high 9.5 sacks for the Seahawks).

Re: ESPN.com: Every NFL team's best and worst free agency signing of the last five years

<k6stu3Fakp4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=2991&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#2991

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: ESPN.com: Every NFL team's best and worst free agency signing of
the last five years
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 21:17:33 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 02:17 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35799859/best-worst-free-agent-signings-every-nfl-team-last-five-years
>
> (usual drill, full story at the link, intro and Chargers' section below):
>
> NFL free agency: Best, worst signings for every team since 2018
> play
> 4:15 AM PT
> NFL Nation
> ESPN
>
> NFL free agency is right around the corner, with the negotiating window starting Monday before players can be signed at the start of the new league year on Wednesday, March 15. This results in multiyear contracts worth millions of dollars, news conferences and giddiness from fans and front office people alike.
>
> Sometimes that excitement turns into big plays and epic victories. Sometimes it goes completely the opposite direction. Our goal was to capture both sides of the free agent spectrum, so we had our NFL Nation reporters pick one free agent signing since 2018 from the teams they cover that really hit, and another that missed badly.
>
> Some names will make you smile, and others will have you muttering under your breath, but either way, it'll set you up for the free agent frenzy to come.
>
> Los Angeles Chargers
> Best signing: Corey Linsley, C, 2021
>
> The Chargers signed Linsley to a five-year, $62.5 million contract, and the nine-year veteran center has since provided consistency and leadership not only on the offensive line, but for the entire offense and most importantly quarterback Justin Herbert. The only knock on Linsley? He missed three games last season because of various issues, including a knee injury, illness and a concussion, and as he prepares for a 10th season, it's reasonable to question whether he will remain healthy for the remaining three seasons of his contract.
>
> Worst signing: Bryan Bulaga, OT, 2020
>
> Bulaga signed a three-year, $30 million contract and was expected to anchor the line at right tackle. But after playing nine seasons in Green Bay, Bulaga could not remain healthy with the Chargers. In 2020, he missed six games because of various injuries, including a back injury, a concussion and a foot issue. In 2021 Bulaga played 43 snaps in Week 1 before he suffered an injury that required season-ending core muscle surgery and was placed on injured reserve. With one year remaining on his deal, the Chargers released Bulaga after the season. The Chargers' search for stability at right tackle continues. -- Lindsey Thiry
>
> (One other note: Seattle's best signing was Uchenna Nwosu last year, he had a career-high 9.5 sacks for the Seahawks).

With respect to Bulaga, was it a bad signing at the time, or did it just
turn out bad? He played his first 10 seasons for Green Bay and was
healthy (12 or more games played) in seven of those seasons:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BulaBr20.htm

However, he missed half of the 2012 season with a hip injury, and then
all of the 2013 season with a torn ACL in his left knee:

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/nfl/id/13679286

And then in 2017 he only played five games before tearing his right ACL:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21330347/green-bay-packers-rt-bryan-bulaga-done-season-torn-acl

I guess that is a pretty bad injury history.

As for Nwosu, he didn't display that level of talent with the Chargers,
so I can't be too concerned. Hopefully it wasn't a matter of inadequate
coaching with the Chargers.

--Robin