From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Chargers re-sign Pipkins
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:22:20 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.15
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 20:22 UTC

RM: Popper, other sources confirm:

Adam Caplan @caplannfl

Chargers are re-signing RT Trey Pipkins for 3 years, $7.25m per season,
source said.

https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/1635735904642904064

Re: Chargers re-sign Pipkins

<da555c7b-2472-4478-991b-5e8da62a2b94n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3024&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3024

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 17:27:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Chargers re-sign Pipkins
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 00:27 UTC

On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 1:22:25 PM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> RM: Popper, other sources confirm:
>

> Adam Caplan @caplannfl
>
> Chargers are re-signing RT Trey Pipkins for 3 years, $7.25m per season,
> source said.
>
> https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/1635735904642904064

And the Feiler cut many of us expected is now official:

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1635775107019968513

Daniel Popper
@danielrpopper
Saves $6.5 million in space, per OverTheCap. Figured this would happen after #Chargers got deal done with Trey Pipkins. Jamaree Salyer now in line to start at LG in 2023.
Quote Tweet
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
1h
The #Chargers are releasing starting guard Matt Feiler, source said. He had an $8.5M cap hit for 2023.
3:49 PM · Mar 14, 2023

Other moves - the Chargers tendered K Cameron Dicker and T Foster Sarell:
https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1635778135181623296

Daniel Popper
@danielrpopper
#Chargers have tendered K Cameron Dicker and OT Foster Sarell. Both ERFAs.
4:01 PM · Mar 14, 2023

So the o-line officially looks to be set as (left to right): Slater, Salyer, Linsley, Johnson, and Pipkins with Sarell as the swing tackle, Jaimes as the backup guard, and Clapp (if he is re-signed) as the backup center. They'll probably draft one or two linemen for depth or sign a cheap veteran backup.

Michael

Re: Chargers re-sign Pipkins

<k7ck7bFnm9oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3026&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3026

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 21:09:59 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 01:09 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 1:22:25 PM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
>> RM: Popper, other sources confirm:
>>

>> Adam Caplan @caplannfl
>>
>> Chargers are re-signing RT Trey Pipkins for 3 years, $7.25m per season,
>> source said.
>>
>> https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/1635735904642904064
>
> And the Feiler cut many of us expected is now official:
>
> https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1635775107019968513
>
> Daniel Popper
> @danielrpopper
> Saves $6.5 million in space, per OverTheCap. Figured this would happen after #Chargers got deal done with Trey Pipkins. Jamaree Salyer now in line to start at LG in 2023.
> Quote Tweet
> Ian Rapoport
> @RapSheet
> ·
> 1h
> The #Chargers are releasing starting guard Matt Feiler, source said. He had an $8.5M cap hit for 2023.
> 3:49 PM · Mar 14, 2023
>
> Other moves - the Chargers tendered K Cameron Dicker and T Foster Sarell:
> https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1635778135181623296
>
> Daniel Popper
> @danielrpopper
> #Chargers have tendered K Cameron Dicker and OT Foster Sarell. Both ERFAs.
> 4:01 PM · Mar 14, 2023
>
> So the o-line officially looks to be set as (left to right): Slater, Salyer, Linsley, Johnson, and Pipkins with Sarell as the swing tackle, Jaimes as the backup guard, and Clapp (if he is re-signed) as the backup center. They'll probably draft one or two linemen for depth or sign a cheap veteran backup.
>
> Michael

Interestingly, they didn't cut Hopkins. I wonder if they'll keep him on
the roster for a training camp competition to make sure that Dicker
holds together.

--Robin

Re: Chargers re-sign Pipkins

<2b1f7dcd-dbc1-4059-b7f6-73022515557dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3027&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3027

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 20:13:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 03:13 UTC

On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 6:10:06 PM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> phlash74 wrote:
> > On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 1:22:25 PM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> >> RM: Popper, other sources confirm:
> >>

> >> Adam Caplan @caplannfl
> >>
> >> Chargers are re-signing RT Trey Pipkins for 3 years, $7.25m per season,
> >> source said.
> >>
> >> https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/1635735904642904064
> >
> > And the Feiler cut many of us expected is now official:
> >
> > https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1635775107019968513
> >
> > Daniel Popper
> > @danielrpopper
> > Saves $6.5 million in space, per OverTheCap. Figured this would happen after #Chargers got deal done with Trey Pipkins. Jamaree Salyer now in line to start at LG in 2023.
> > Quote Tweet
> > Ian Rapoport
> > @RapSheet
> > ·
> > 1h
> > The #Chargers are releasing starting guard Matt Feiler, source said. He had an $8.5M cap hit for 2023.
> > 3:49 PM · Mar 14, 2023
> >
> > Other moves - the Chargers tendered K Cameron Dicker and T Foster Sarell:
> > https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1635778135181623296
> >
> > Daniel Popper
> > @danielrpopper
> > #Chargers have tendered K Cameron Dicker and OT Foster Sarell. Both ERFAs.
> > 4:01 PM · Mar 14, 2023
> >
> > So the o-line officially looks to be set as (left to right): Slater, Salyer, Linsley, Johnson, and Pipkins with Sarell as the swing tackle, Jaimes as the backup guard, and Clapp (if he is re-signed) as the backup center. They'll probably draft one or two linemen for depth or sign a cheap veteran backup.
> >
> > Michael
> >
> Interestingly, they didn't cut Hopkins. I wonder if they'll keep him on
> the roster for a training camp competition to make sure that Dicker
> holds together.
>
> --Robin

I read somewhere that cap-wise it makes more sense to keep Hopkins until the final cuts, didn't get details on why but it makes sense to at least give Hopkins a chance to compete given that he really didn't do anything to lose the job other than get injured and he gutted out a win against Denver by going 4-4 including the game winner in OT on the injured leg. If the Chargers do keep Dicker as expected, I'm sure Hopkins will catch on with another team on the NFL's ever-revolving kicker carousel.

Michael

Re: Chargers re-sign Pipkins

<k7edlvF1lo3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3028&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3028

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 13:30:34 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 17:30 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 6:10:06 PM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
>> phlash74 wrote:

>>> And the Feiler cut many of us expected is now official:
>>>
>>> https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1635775107019968513
>>>
>>> Daniel Popper
>>> @danielrpopper
>>> Saves $6.5 million in space, per OverTheCap. Figured this would happen after #Chargers got deal done with Trey Pipkins. Jamaree Salyer now in line to start at LG in 2023.
>>> Quote Tweet
>>> Ian Rapoport
>>> @RapSheet
>>> ·
>>> 1h
>>> The #Chargers are releasing starting guard Matt Feiler, source said. He had an $8.5M cap hit for 2023.
>>> 3:49 PM · Mar 14, 2023
>>>
>>> Other moves - the Chargers tendered K Cameron Dicker and T Foster Sarell:
>>> https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1635778135181623296
>>>
>>> Daniel Popper
>>> @danielrpopper
>>> #Chargers have tendered K Cameron Dicker and OT Foster Sarell. Both ERFAs.
>>> 4:01 PM · Mar 14, 2023
>>>
>>> So the o-line officially looks to be set as (left to right): Slater, Salyer, Linsley, Johnson, and Pipkins with Sarell as the swing tackle, Jaimes as the backup guard, and Clapp (if he is re-signed) as the backup center. They'll probably draft one or two linemen for depth or sign a cheap veteran backup.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>
>> Interestingly, they didn't cut Hopkins. I wonder if they'll keep him on
>> the roster for a training camp competition to make sure that Dicker
>> holds together.
>>
>> --Robin
>
> I read somewhere that cap-wise it makes more sense to keep Hopkins until the final cuts, didn't get details on why but it makes sense to at least give Hopkins a chance to compete given that he really didn't do anything to lose the job other than get injured and he gutted out a win against Denver by going 4-4 including the game winner in OT on the injured leg. If the Chargers do keep Dicker as expected, I'm sure Hopkins will catch on with another team on the NFL's ever-revolving kicker carousel.
>
> Michael

Doing some reading elsewhere, I found out that $1.1 million of Hopkins'
2023 salary becomes guaranteed on Friday, so the Chargers actually do
have an incentive to cut him before that, if they're thinking of cutting
him at all.

Hopkins' contract details:

https://overthecap.com/player/dustin-hopkins/2231

I agree that he kicked very well for the Chargers before his injury.

How much confidence do the Chargers have in Dicker?

Apparently the Chargers aren't going to tender contracts to any more of
their restricted or exclusive rights free agents, which makes them all
unrestricted free agents but doesn't prevent the Chargers from
negotiating with them the same as other teams. Tenders are due today by
4 pm ET, but the Chargers would have made the tenders before if they
were going to do it.

The Chargers have six restricted free agents and didn't tender any of
them: WR Jalen Guyton, T Storm Norton, TE Donald Parham Jr., OLB/Edge
Derrek Tuszka, NT Breiden Fehoko, DE Joe Gaziano.

However, the minimum RFA tender is $2.6 million, significantly more than
a veteran minimum salary, so they may hope to bring some of the players
back at closer to a minimum salary. I'd like to see Guyton, Parham,
Fehoko and Gaziano back.

The Chargers tendered only two of their five exclusive rights free
agents: Dicker and Foster Sarell. Since the tender is the minimum
salary, they must be letting go of the other three: WR Michael Bandy, CB
Kemon Hall, DT Forest Merrill.

--Robin

Re: Chargers re-sign Pipkins

<e96ef97e-f48d-424c-abd5-92204e07720an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3029&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3029

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 11:58:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 18:58 UTC

On Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 10:30:42 AM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> phlash74 wrote:

> >> Interestingly, they didn't cut Hopkins. I wonder if they'll keep him on
> >> the roster for a training camp competition to make sure that Dicker
> >> holds together.
> >>
> >> --Robin
> >
> > I read somewhere that cap-wise it makes more sense to keep Hopkins until the final cuts, didn't get details on why but it makes sense to at least give Hopkins a chance to compete given that he really didn't do anything to lose the job other than get injured and he gutted out a win against Denver by going 4-4 including the game winner in OT on the injured leg. If the Chargers do keep Dicker as expected, I'm sure Hopkins will catch on with another team on the NFL's ever-revolving kicker carousel.
> >
> > Michael
> >
> Doing some reading elsewhere, I found out that $1.1 million of Hopkins'
> 2023 salary becomes guaranteed on Friday, so the Chargers actually do
> have an incentive to cut him before that, if they're thinking of cutting
> him at all.
>
> Hopkins' contract details:
>
> https://overthecap.com/player/dustin-hopkins/2231

According to that site, if they cut him pre-June 1, he counts as $1.6 million in dead cap space (2023 and 2024 prorated bonus) so it's $1.485 million in savings against his cap number of $3.085 million, while if he's cut post-June 1 he only counts as $800K in dead cap space (the 2024 prorated bonus) saving the Chargers $2.285 million against the cap. I did see where it says the $1.1 million injury guarantee becomes fully guaranteed on Friday but this may be a quirk in the salary cap rules where they have to pay him the cash but it doesn't count against the cap if they cut him post June 1. I plead ignorance on all the details.

> I agree that he kicked very well for the Chargers before his injury.
>
> How much confidence do the Chargers have in Dicker?
>
> Apparently the Chargers aren't going to tender contracts to any more of
> their restricted or exclusive rights free agents, which makes them all
> unrestricted free agents but doesn't prevent the Chargers from
> negotiating with them the same as other teams. Tenders are due today by
> 4 pm ET, but the Chargers would have made the tenders before if they
> were going to do it.
>
> The Chargers have six restricted free agents and didn't tender any of
> them: WR Jalen Guyton, T Storm Norton, TE Donald Parham Jr., OLB/Edge
> Derrek Tuszka, NT Breiden Fehoko, DE Joe Gaziano.
>
> However, the minimum RFA tender is $2.6 million, significantly more than
> a veteran minimum salary, so they may hope to bring some of the players
> back at closer to a minimum salary. I'd like to see Guyton, Parham,
> Fehoko and Gaziano back.
>
> The Chargers tendered only two of their five exclusive rights free
> agents: Dicker and Foster Sarell. Since the tender is the minimum
> salary, they must be letting go of the other three: WR Michael Bandy, CB
> Kemon Hall, DT Forest Merrill.
>
> --Robin

Guyton for sure, and I'd like to see them keep Parham as well, but I'm OK with them letting Fehoko and Gaziano go unless they can get them cheap. Fehoko seems to spend quite a bit of time arguing with random fans on Twitter, that's not a great sign imo. I didn't really see all that much out of them on the field.

Michael