From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Webeck: How Juan Toscano-Anderson is keeping life in perspective
despite decreased role with improved Warriors
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 22:30:08 -0800
 by: Allen - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 06:30 UTC

How Juan Toscano-Anderson is keeping life in perspective despite
decreased role with improved Golden State Warriors
The 28-year-old from East Oakland has seen his minutes cut nearly in
half but made a big impact Thursday vs. Cleveland
>Golden State Warriors’ Juan Toscano-Anderson (95) drives against
Cleveland Cavaliers’ Ricky Rubio (3) in the second half of an NBA
basketball game, Thursday, Nov. 18, 2021, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Tony
Dejak)
>Golden State Warriors’ Juan Toscano-Anderson (95) drives against
Cleveland Cavaliers’ Ricky Rubio (3) in the second half of an NBA
basketball game, Thursday, Nov. 18, 2021, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Tony
Dejak)
By EVAN WEBECK | ewebeck@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: November 19, 2021 at 7:15 a.m. | UPDATED: November 19, 2021
at 12:11 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/11/19/how-juan-toscano-anderson-is-keeping-life-in-perspective-despite-decreased-role-with-improved-golden-state-warriors/

CLEVELAND — Perspective was the word of the day for Juan
Toscano-Anderson, the underdog Oakland native who’s been relegated to
the end of the Golden State Warriors’ roster this season.

Despite being supplanted in the rotation this week by 19-year-old
lottery pick Jonathan Kuminga, it was the 28-year-old former two-way
player whom coach Steve Kerr called on Thursday night when the Warriors
needed a spark in the second half, fulfilling the prophecy Kerr has been
preaching since making the choice to opt for the rookie.

“You’ve just got to stay positive and be ready when your time comes
because your time always comes,” Kerr said prior to tipoff against the
Cavaliers.

Toscano-Anderson had gone more than a week without seeing the floor for
more than 7 minutes on any given night. But he gave Golden State 16
solid second-half minutes, a key part of its 36-8 final quarter that
sealed their comeback win over the Cavaliers.

Afterward, Kerr said, “This is exactly why you need a guy like Juan. … I
couldn’t be more proud of him. I decided to go to Jonathan ahead of him,
and he handled it beautifully and stayed ready and took advantage of his
opportunity tonight.”

The local kid endured himself to his teammates and the Warriors’ fanbase
the past two seasons as a role player on teams that, at best, came up
short of the playoffs, or worse, finished with the worst record in the NBA.

A self-aware Toscano-Anderson described his journey last season as a
cinderella story.

But after finding the proverbial glass slipper last season, it hasn’t
fit quite the same this year.

With the additions heralded rookies such as Kuminga and Moses Moody, as
well as veterans such as Otto Porter Jr., Nemanja Bjelica and Andre
Iguodala, Toscano-Anderson knew this season would be a struggle for
minutes. He’s averaging only 11.8 per game this season, almost half that
of the past two years.

But that’s only part of the perspective that Toscano-Anderson is
speaking of. (He used the word at least half a dozen times in interviews
on Thursday alone.)

Just a day earlier, Toscano-Anderson got a fresh dose when his phone
rang. It was his brother on the other end. Something serious had gone
down, though Juan declined to expand on exactly what.

“So I’m sitting here and sometimes upset that I don’t get to play, but
my family, my brother, who’s that close to me, has to deal with
real-life (expletive),” he said. “And here I am complaining about
basketball.”

Growing up a Warriors fan and watching their dynastic run during the
first half of the last decade, Toscano-Anderson wants to get a taste of
the Larry O’Brien Trophy for himself, whether that means spot minutes or
a starring role.

The hometown kid, playing for the local team, making money to play
basketball on television and in front of thousands? Toscano-Anderson
realizes that sounds like a pretty sweet gig.

“Yeah, I want to play more, of course. Everyone wants to play,” he said.
“But I’m on the best team in the NBA, my hometown team, I get to play
with Hall of Famers. … I could be anywhere else in the world. I could be
on any other team. I could be on a losing team. I could be back in the G
League. … It’s perspective, man.”

It helps to have a coach who was in a similar position as he tried to
establish himself in the league more than two decades ago. Kerr has the
trust and respect of Toscano-Anderson, despite tough choices that
haven’t always gone in his favor. Through it all, Kerr has continued to
tell him that his time was coming.

“I’ve been in his shoes when I was a player. It’s a tough spot to be
in,” Kerr said. “Human nature is to get down when you’re not part of
things. To really make it in this league as a reserve, you can’t ever
let yourself go down that path.”

Added Toscano-Anderson: “When you have a coach who believes in you,
that’s the difference maker. … I think Steve is really great at what he
does. I think he has a really great feel for his players. … I trust what
he’s doing.”

On Thursday night, he forced himself back into the spotlight. A lineup
of him, Bjelica, Porter, Steph Curry and Damion Lee limited Cleveland to
eight fourth-quarter points. Kerr left him out there for the entire
quarter. When it was time for Draymond Green to sub in, Kerr called
Porter off the floor instead.

“I always tell Juan obviously the minutes are up and down but when the
games get tough, that’s when your number will get called,” Green said.
“Tonight, we couldn’t get any traction on the defensive end, and his
number was called, and he was ready.”

“His energy was contagious,” said Curry. “And then in the fourth
quarter, it took off at both ends of the floor.”

Toscano-Anderson subbed in for the first time with 3:58 left in the
third quarter. He never left the court.

>RELATED ARTICLES
With the Warriors, you pick your poison
Kurtenbach: Steph Curry is at his peak, but the difference with these
Warriors is something else
How Draymond Green has rediscovered his love for basketball: ‘I want
to be an All-Star again’
Andrew Wiggins, Jordan Poole show the Warriors can win with or
without Steph Curry
Warriors’ coach Steve Kerr on Kings’ firing of Luke Walton: ‘He’s
everything that you want in a coach”

The Warriors outscored the Cavs by 21 in Toscano-Anderson’s 16 minutes,
which proved to be what flipped the game in the Warriors’ favor.

Before calling Toscano-Anderson’s name, Kerr called him out.

He should be angry about the benching the past few games, Kerr told him
at halftime.

So, when he got his chance, he played like it.

--
Evan Webeck | Reporter
Evan Webeck covers high-school sports on the field and beyond — and a