From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kurtenbach:_Curry_is_the_new_3-pt_king_—_the_ma
n_with_the_perfect_shot_goes_to_the_top_of_the_record_books_with_
a_perfect_moment
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 18:05:01 -0800
 by: Allen - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 02:05 UTC

Kurtenbach: Steph Curry is the new 3-point king — the man with the
perfect shot goes to the top of the record books with a perfect moment
Steph Curry sets NBA all-time 3-point record: Curry's big night had a
fitting venue and a perfect script.
>Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry reacts after scoring a
3-point basket during the first half of an NBA basketball game against
the New York Knicks, Tuesday, Dec. 14, 2021, at Madison Square Garden in
New York. Curry hit his 2,974th 3-pointer Tuesday night in the first
quarter of the Golden State Warriors’ game against the New York Knicks,
breaking the record set by Ray Allen. . (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
>Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry reacts after scoring a
3-point basket during the first half of an NBA basketball game against
the New York Knicks, Tuesday, Dec. 14, 2021, at Madison Square Garden in
New York. Curry hit his 2,974th 3-pointer Tuesday night in the first
quarter of the Golden State Warriors’ game against the New York Knicks,
breaking the record set by Ray Allen. . (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
By DIETER KURTENBACH | dkurtenbach@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News
Group
PUBLISHED: December 14, 2021 at 5:10 p.m. | UPDATED: December 15, 2021
at 3:58 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/12/14/kurtenbach-steph-curry-is-the-new-3-point-king-the-man-with-the-picture-perfect-shot-goes-to-the-top-of-the-record-books-with-a-perfect-moment/

In an era of basketball where everything seems to be debatable, there is
something comforting about Steph Curry.

While so many other NBA superstars seemed burdened by the pressure
created by the conversations around them, the Warriors’ guard seems
above that fray — unaffected by it all.

So it’s only fitting that the greatest shooter in the history of the
game now stands alone atop the list of NBA’s all-time 3-pointers made.

Curry’s shot is the truth. It’s beyond reproach. We’ve known that since
his early days as a Warrior — there’s something different, special about
No. 30.

And while Tuesday’s record-setting 3-pointer is merely a novel
checkpoint in his incredible, game-changing, franchise-saving Hall of
Fame career, it’s nice to know that something that we have known to be
true — Curry is the greatest 3-point shooter in the history of the game
— can be verified not only by our eyes but by the record book, too.

Curry tied Ray Allen’s record of 2,973 with a definitive Curry shot. No.
30 brought the ball off the floor, worked off a high screen from
Draymond Green — who else but the man who had assisted him on 478
3-pointers before then? — and rose, fired and knocked down a shot from
30 feet away.

That’s a place that mere mortals once never dared to shoot.

But Curry made that shot a commonplace part of his game — a byproduct of
necessity (Curry was often the smallest player on the floor) and
hard-earned confidence of a perfect stroke, refined after countless
hours in the gym away from games.

A good number of his thousands of 3-pointers have come from that 30-foot
distance. Over the last few years, more and more players have dared to
try the same shot.

None of them has come close to making it look as easy as Curry does.

[gif? video?]

Between tying the record and setting a new one, Curry created. He
dribbled through, around and past Knicks players, taking the attention
coming his way to create easy shots for his teammates. He was diving on
the floor for a loose ball on defense mere possessions beforehand.
What’s another floor burn if the Warriors win the game?

And then, with 7:33 remaining in the first quarter, he set the record.

It was set, so fittingly, after Curry set a screen for a teammate under
the basket.

[gif? video?]

Curry has been called the anti-superstar by his coaches and teammates,
but he couldn’t help but feel himself for a moment after he hit the
record-setting shot.

He pounded his chest, flexed, yelled and then was able to take in
raucous applause from the crowd at Madison Square Garden. Say what you
will about the building in Midtown, but outside of San Francisco (or, in
a dream world, Oracle Arena in Oakland), MSG is a fitting venue. They do
big events well, and this was a massive moment in the history of the league.

On prior iterations, this record was unknown, unimportant. You wouldn’t
stop a nationally televised game when someone set a new all-time record
for blocks, right?

But the unquestioned value of Tuesday’s game speaks to Curry the man and
Curry the athlete.

No one in their right mind cannot root for the man whose game is
predicated on joy and challenging norms.

And those norms that he challenged have broken away to create a game
where Curry’s impact is felt every night.

The sport of basketball is undeniably in a better place for his efforts.
How many great players can truly say that’s part of their legacy?

Curry will continue to add to his number of made 3-pointers for years to
come. The only question now is, “How high can he go?”

>RELATED ARTICLES
As COVID-19 surges around NBA, Golden State Warriors step up protocols
Klay Thompson’s return date reportedly pushed back as Warriors try to
limit anticipation
Warriors make another roster move with Thompson, Wiseman after latest
Santa Cruz practices
Kurtenbach: Klay Thompson’s return couldn’t come at a better time for
the lulling Warriors
Steph Curry is the new 3-point king: His trainer explains how he’s
getting stronger at age 33

At 33 years old, Curry is arguably playing his best basketball in this,
his 13th season in the league. He’s also shooting more 3-pointers than
ever before — a byproduct of a game that has changed because of Curry’s
singular abilities.

He’s the only player in NBA history to make more than 400 3-pointers in
a season, but he might do that again this year.

What’s to say that’s not his new normal, at least for as long as he’s at
his peak?

And what’s to say that his peak can’t continue longer than anyone ever
expected? After all, no one expected this from Curry.

Why not 5,000?

The question will persist, in the background, until his career is
formally over. That will be a sad day for basketball.

Tuesday, however, was a joyous day. One that deserved to be in the
foreground. One that will resonate for decades.

How fitting.

[video: After getting 3-pt record, Curry accepts the title...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StmJw8Ru2cs]