From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Popper_[The_Athletic]:_Chargers_minicamp:_Derwin_James
’_circus_interception,_Austin_Ekeler_has_‘no_ha
rd_feelings’
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 13:58:47 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.16
 by: Robin Miller - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 17:58 UTC

https://theathletic.com/4611372/2023/06/14/chargers-minicamp-derwin-james-austin-ekeler/

[excerpt]

By Daniel Popper
June 14, 2023

COSTA MESA, Calif. — The Chargers wrapped up their offseason program
Wednesday with the second practice of mandatory minicamp.

Here are my takeaways, notes and observations from the final practice of
the spring, as the Chargers head into their five-week summer break. They
will return in late July for the start of training camp.

1. There was only one new attendance development from Wednesday:
cornerback Deane Leonard was not at practice. Leonard is sick, according
to coach Brandon Staley.

Otherwise, it was mostly status quo from Tuesday’s practice. Cornerback
J.C. Jackson (knee) warmed up with the team with his helmet on before
working off to the side with trainers. Receivers Joshua Palmer
(undisclosed) and Jalen Guyton (knee) were not in uniform and worked off
to the side. Defensive lineman Otito Ogbonnia (knee) walked out to
practice around halfway through to get his rehab work in. I did not see
defensive lineman Austin Johnson (knee), defensive back Kemon Hall
(undisclosed) or defensive back Tyler Baker-Williams (undisclosed).
Linebacker Amen Ogbongbemiga (undisclosed) did not practice and worked
off to the side with trainers.

Linebacker Tyreek Maddox-Williams (undisclosed) went through individual
drills before heading to the sideline to work with trainers. That was
Maddox-Williams’ first time participating in individual drills during a
spring practice open to media.

2. Justin Herbert continued to air it out during team drills. On
Tuesday, Herbert had quite a bit of success targeting Mike Williams and
Keenan Allen on back shoulder and deep throws. On Wednesday, the defense
punched back and came up with a few splash plays in coverage in the deep
part of the field.

The first such play came on the third play of seven-on-seven. Herbert
lofted a deep shot down the sideline to Williams with Ja’Sir Taylor in
tight coverage. Williams usually thrives in these jump-ball situations.
But Taylor battled Williams for position and forced the incompletion.

Later in the same period, Herbert attempted another jump ball, this time
to receiver Keelan Doss down the left sideline. The timing felt slightly
off on the play after a Herbert pump fake. Michael Davis was in tight
coverage on Doss and forced the incompletion.

In the next period, Herbert tried to hit Williams on a back-shoulder
throw down the right sideline, similar to the completion he had to
Williams in Tuesday’s practice. Asante Samuel Jr. was aggressive in
coverage on Williams, jockeying for position. And Herbert’s pass fell
incomplete.

Then came perhaps the best play of the spring so far — at least of the
practices open to media. Herbert unleashed a go ball to Allen down the
left sideline. Derwin James Jr. was in coverage. Both players jumped for
the ball. James was in front of Allen. James reached his right hand up,
snatching the ball with one hand and ripping it away from Allen. It was
an outrageous interception and further proof that James is one of the
truly special defensive players in the league.

This gets to the point I wrote about yesterday. Herbert being aggressive
is a good thing. Sometimes that might lead to practice interceptions, as
it did Wednesday. But these are the moments to be making those mistakes
and testing the limits of what he can and cannot get away with.

Williams was asked after practice if he feels like Herbert has been more
aggressive this spring under new coordinator Kellen Moore. His response:
“For sure.”

3. After a rather eventful offseason, Austin Ekeler returned to the
Chargers on Tuesday for the start of minicamp. He spoke with us beat
writers Wednesday for the first time since the season ended. Earlier
this offseason, Ekeler was granted permission to seek a trade partner
after extension negotiations with the Chargers stalled. No trade
materialized, and Ekeler eventually agreed to an amended contract with
the Chargers that added $1.75 million in incentives for 2023, the final
year of his deal.

Ekeler said he had incentives in previous years of the four-year deal he
signed with the Chargers in 2020. But he did not have any incentives for
2023 before he agreed to the amended contract. The new incentives are
“all obtainable,” according to Ekeler.

“Basically having the same year I had last year would get me all of
those incentives,” Ekeler said. The incentives cover statistics like
scrimmage yards and total touchdowns, according to Ekeler, who had 18
touchdowns and a career-high 1,637 scrimmage yards last season.

On a broader level, Ekeler seemed disappointed but at peace with how the
situation developed and was ultimately resolved.

“I thought it would be amazing if we could get someone who was wanting
to lock us down for some more value,” Ekeler said, referring to a
potential trade partner. “I understood the situation it would put
someone in, though. Giving up draft picks and having to renegotiate a
contract is a pretty big ask. … I was absolutely optimistic. Like, OK,
let’s find something, let’s get a deal done. It didn’t end up happening.
No hard feelings. Come back, still have an opportunity here to go out
there and show what I can do.”