From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG:_What_will_Warriors’_lineup_look_like_if_D
raymond_Green_misses_games?
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 14:52:12 -0800
 by: Allen - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 22:52 UTC

What will Warriors’ lineup look like if Draymond Green misses games?
Draymond Green joins Warriors’ plethora of positive COVID-19 cases, but
Golden State has options to replace him
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – NOVEMBER 21: Golden State Warriors’
Draymond Green (23) reacts to a call during their game against the
Toronto Raptors in the fourth quarter at the Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Sunday, Nov. 21, 2021. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area
News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – NOVEMBER 21: Golden State Warriors’
Draymond Green (23) reacts to a call during their game against the
Toronto Raptors in the fourth quarter at the Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Sunday, Nov. 21, 2021. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area
News Group)
By JANNELLE MOORE |
PUBLISHED: December 27, 2021 at 5:30 a.m. | UPDATED: December 27, 2021
at 1:51 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/12/27/what-will-warriors-lineup-look-like-if-draymond-green-misses-games/

The hits the Golden State Warriors absorbed in the throes of rampant,
league-wide positive COVID-19 cases are many.

On Sunday, Draymond Green reportedly entered the NBA’s health and safety
protocols, joining Jordan Poole, Damion Lee, Andrew Wiggins and Moses
Moody. Under the current 10-day mandate, Green will be unavailable for
the next four games: Tuesday at Chase against the Denver Nuggets, a
rematch in Denver on Thursday, a New Year’s Day clash in Salt Lake City
with the Jazz, and a Jan. 3 home game against Miami.

Barring two negative tests within a 24-hour window, the Warriors will be
without the services of Green for this challenging four-game stretch.

The Warriors were fortunate to win games without their second- and
third-best scorers – Wiggins and Poole, respectively – and without the
depth of Lee and Moody. However, winning without Green is a completely
different animal.

Green is among the top candidates for the Defensive Player of the Year
and serves as the team’s “middle linebacker” while roaming from
perimeter to post to disrupt offenses. He routinely guards multiple
positions and covers blown assignments.

Offensively, Green is the Warriors’ primary playmaker. He doesn’t just
facilitate, he also provides auxiliary scoring when defenses double team
and top-lock Stephen Curry.

The Warriors will have to try to win without their second-most important
player. Here are some lineup iterations that the Warriors could try
implementing during these forthcoming games.

- Bjelica starts

Bjelica has the ability to create plays. We first saw that in the
preseason games, as did Green.

“I didn’t even know (Bjelica) could make plays like that off the
dribble, “ Green told reporters in October. “I had no clue.”

Bjelica won an MVP award in the EuroLeague, where he not only scored but
facilitated for others. Now with the absence of Green, inserting Bjelica
in the lineup and letting him set up plays for others will provide some
sort of continuity offensively. Assuming that Curry is still available,
he and Bjelica can operate out of pick and rolls. Curry can also
operate off the ball at times. While Curry takes two and sometimes
three men with him, there will be opportunities for Bjelica to
contribute in the lane, as well as the perimeter.

On the other hand, with Bjelica as a starter, the Warriors are likely to
suffer defensively. Bjelica hustles, but he has a tendency to get beat
more often than not and can be undisciplined in terms of fouling.

- JTA starts

Juan Toscano-Anderson is a possible optiomn. He is streaky offensively,
but he makes up for it in hustle and on the defensive end. His
athleticism and energy will be greatly needed for a team that’s
currently down to nine active and available players.

>RELATED ARTICLES
COVID Sports report: Sharks, NHL returning to action, but more game
cancellations, protocol absences
Warriors’ ascent to top of NBA reveals new championship DNA
Draymond Green becomes fifth Warriors player to enter health and
safety protocols, per report
Short-handed Warriors lean on Curry, Porter Jr. to stun the Suns on
Christmas Day
Klay Thompson takes another big step, travels with Warriors to Phoenix

Playing either JTA or Bjelica could be determined by who returns first
between Wiggins or Poole. If Wiggins returns first, we’d lean toward
Bjelica starting because of his playmaking ability. Wiggins has been
contributing a lot on offense, but he has also been very good on the
defensive end.

If Poole returns, we’re leaning towards JTA. He not only brings hustle,
but he’d also bring more defense than Bjelica. Poole still has some
strides to make defensively, so someone like JTA could be there to help
if Poole misses his rotations.

- Iguodala starts

Andre Iguodala isn’t in the Covid protocol, but he has been hampered by
a problem with his 38-year-old knees and didn’t play against Phoenix. If
he’s available, it’s possible he would start at the 3.. A lineup of
Curry, Poole or Gary Payton II, Iguodala, Otto Porter, Jr, and Looney
would be ideal in these circumstances.

In Iguodala, you’ve got a player who knows the system inside out and can
provide playmaking and defense. He knows where and when to get Curry the
ball. Moving Porter to the 4 is a stretch — he’s only 6-3 — but he has a
nose for the ball and can shoot and provide spacing.

--
Jannelle Moore | Guest Analyst