I would rather say that a desire to drive fast sports cars is what sets man apart from the animals.

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

SubjectAuthor
* ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M dealphlash74
+* Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year,Robin Miller
|`* Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year,phlash74
| `* Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year,Robin Miller
|  `* Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year,phlash74
|   `* Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M dealEddie Grove
|    `* Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year,phlash74
|     +* Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year,Robin Miller
|     |`- Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M dealEddie Grove
|     `* Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M dealEddie Grove
|      `* Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year,phlash74
|       `* Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M dealEddie Grove
|        `* Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year,phlash74
|         `- Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M dealEddie Grove
`- Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M dealEddie Grove

1
ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

<0c65a58e-259b-42ec-b7fe-aed4ecefc2f9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3198&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3198

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 17:39:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 00:39 UTC

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38068747/sources-chargers-qb-justin-herbert-agree-5-year-262m-extension

Sources: Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal
play

Lindsey Thiry, ESPN
Jul 25, 2023, 07:00 PM ET

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Chargers and quarterback Justin Herbert have agreed to terms on a five-year, $262.5 million contract extension, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tuesday.

The deal comes a day before the Bolts open training camp and keeps Herbert, 25, under contract in L.A. through the 2029 season. It includes a no-trade clause, $133.7 million in full guarantees and $193.7 million in injury guarantees.

The team announced a multiyear extension for its franchise quarterback but did not disclose specific terms.

Herbert becomes the third quarterback this year to agree to a blockbuster extension following new deals between the Philadelphia Eagles and Jalen Hurts (five years, $255 million) and the Baltimore Ravens and Lamar Jackson (five years, $260 million).

It also sets the playing field for the Cincinnati Bengals and star QB Joe Burrow, who remain in talks on an extension.

Herbert's deal makes him the highest-paid quarterback in NFL history based on average annual value ($52.5 million).

"I sleep better at night knowing we have a franchise quarterback," Chargers general manager Tom Telesco said at the end of last season. "He's done so much already in his young career, yet we all know there's still a lot there because of his commitment to the game."

Herbert has surpassed several significant statistical NFL milestones since he was selected with the sixth overall pick in 2020. Last season, he led the Chargers to their first playoff appearance since 2018.

In three seasons, Herbert is 25-24, with one playoff loss. He has passed for 14,089 yards, besting Andrew Luck for the most through a quarterback's first three NFL seasons. He has completed 1,316 career passes, which also are the most in league history through a player's first three seasons. His 64 Total QBR is ranked fourth best in the NFL since his rookie season in 2020.

Herbert has thrown 94 career touchdowns, recording three consecutive seasons with at least 25 passing touchdowns -- putting his name alongside Hall of Famer Peyton Manning as the only quarterbacks to accomplish such feats at the outset of their careers.

Despite two seasons remaining on his rookie deal, the Chargers opened negotiations with Herbert on a long-term extension shortly after the 2022 season when he became eligible.

Earlier this offseason at the NFL annual league meeting in Phoenix, coach Brandon Staley expressed confidence that Herbert would remain with the team for "a long time."

"We're so excited that he is leading our franchise," Staley said. The Chargers' ability to strike a deal with Herbert before opening training camp ensures that the organization not only has their most important player under contract into the foreseeable future but will allow for the team to focus solely on earning a repeat postseason appearance, something they have not accomplished since making four consecutive playoff appearances from 2006 to 2009.

This season, Herbert will be under the direction of new offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, who joined the Bolts after four seasons in the same role with the Dallas Cowboys, where his unit ranked in the top four in points per game (27.7), yards per game (391) and third-down conversion percentage (44%).

Herbert also will have at his disposal a plethora of playmakers, including receivers Keenan Allen and Mike Williams, first-round pick Quentin Johnston, as well as running back Austin Ekeler, who last season led the NFL with 18 touchdowns.

Herbert was scheduled to earn $4.23 million in the fourth season of his rookie contract.

Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

<kiba47Fm3rsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3199&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3199

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year,
$262.5M deal
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 21:10:26 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 01:10 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> [...]
>
> This season, Herbert will be under the direction of new offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, who joined the Bolts after four seasons in the same role with the Dallas Cowboys, where his unit ranked in the top four in points per game (27.7), yards per game (391) and third-down conversion percentage (44%).
>
> Herbert also will have at his disposal a plethora of playmakers, including receivers Keenan Allen and Mike Williams, first-round pick Quentin Johnston, as well as running back Austin Ekeler, who last season led the NFL with 18 touchdowns.
>
> Herbert was scheduled to earn $4.23 million in the fourth season of his rookie contract.

Wow. I know it had to be done, but that's a lot of money. Salary cap
hell here we come! I just hope he makes the difference we think he will.

--Robin

Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

<028fcc15-e05d-4e8b-b531-8c4979162a83n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3200&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3200

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 20:01:13 -0700 (PDT)
$262.5M deal
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 03:01 UTC

On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 6:10:34 PM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > This season, Herbert will be under the direction of new offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, who joined the Bolts after four seasons in the same role with the Dallas Cowboys, where his unit ranked in the top four in points per game (27.7), yards per game (391) and third-down conversion percentage (44%).
> >
> > Herbert also will have at his disposal a plethora of playmakers, including receivers Keenan Allen and Mike Williams, first-round pick Quentin Johnston, as well as running back Austin Ekeler, who last season led the NFL with 18 touchdowns.
> >
> > Herbert was scheduled to earn $4.23 million in the fourth season of his rookie contract.
> >
> Wow. I know it had to be done, but that's a lot of money. Salary cap
> hell here we come! I just hope he makes the difference we think he will.

I've seen enough from Herbert to believe he's one of the very few guys in the league who's actually worth that kind of deal, unlike a lot of slightly above average QBs who get top tier deals because their teams don't want to have to go find a replacement. Hopefully the Chargers' capologist (whoever that person is) is as good as the Saints' capologist because they were literally in cap hell for 15 years but always put a competitive team on the field around Drew Brees. And a true franchise QB goes a long way towards covering other holes in your roster.

The main plus for this deal is getting it done before Burrow's extension, which will now almost certainly come in slightly higher, just as Herbert's was slightly higher than Hurts's and Jackson's.

Michael

Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

<kibkn2Fnlg4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3201&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3201

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
$262.5M deal
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 00:11:10 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 04:11 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> [...]
>> hell here we come! I just hope he makes the difference we think he will.
>>
>> --Robin
>
> I've seen enough from Herbert to believe he's one of the very few guys in the league who's actually worth that kind of deal, unlike a lot of slightly above average QBs who get top tier deals because their teams don't want to have to go find a replacement. Hopefully the Chargers' capologist (whoever that person is) is as good as the Saints' capologist because they were literally in cap hell for 15 years but always put a competitive team on the field around Drew Brees. And a true franchise QB goes a long way towards covering other holes in your roster.
>
> The main plus for this deal is getting it done before Burrow's extension, which will now almost certainly come in slightly higher, just as Herbert's was slightly higher than Hurts's and Jackson's.

And, to clarify: Since this extension runs through the 2029 season, it
must cover the 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029 seasons. That means that
it will not replace the fifth season of Herbert's rookie contract, which
covers 2024 (the previous seasons being 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023). So
the Chargers will pick up the fifth-year option and then the extension
kicks in after that. That does give the Chargers this season and next
before the huge numbers kick in. And, with this extension, Herbert will
be under contract with the Chargers for his first 10 seasons in the league.

I do wonder how Hurts' value exploded. But, even though they're the
local team, I don't really follow the Eagles.

--Robin

Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

<2522759a-8130-431a-a9ac-666aebff3c7en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3202&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3202

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 22:06:26 -0700 (PDT)
$262.5M deal
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 05:06 UTC

On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 9:11:16 PM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> phlash74 wrote:

> >> Wow. I know it had to be done, but that's a lot of money. Salary cap
> >> hell here we come! I just hope he makes the difference we think he will.
> >>
> >> --Robin
> >
> > I've seen enough from Herbert to believe he's one of the very few guys in the league who's actually worth that kind of deal, unlike a lot of slightly above average QBs who get top tier deals because their teams don't want to have to go find a replacement. Hopefully the Chargers' capologist (whoever that person is) is as good as the Saints' capologist because they were literally in cap hell for 15 years but always put a competitive team on the field around Drew Brees. And a true franchise QB goes a long way towards covering other holes in your roster.
> >
> > The main plus for this deal is getting it done before Burrow's extension, which will now almost certainly come in slightly higher, just as Herbert's was slightly higher than Hurts's and Jackson's.
> >
> > Michael
> >
> And, to clarify: Since this extension runs through the 2029 season, it
> must cover the 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029 seasons. That means that
> it will not replace the fifth season of Herbert's rookie contract, which
> covers 2024 (the previous seasons being 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023). So
> the Chargers will pick up the fifth-year option and then the extension
> kicks in after that. That does give the Chargers this season and next
> before the huge numbers kick in. And, with this extension, Herbert will
> be under contract with the Chargers for his first 10 seasons in the league.
>
> I do wonder how Hurts' value exploded. But, even though they're the
> local team, I don't really follow the Eagles.
>
> --Robin

As I recall, most of the Chargers' big money contracts at other positions come off the books after 2024, so they'll be well positioned to rebuild around Herbert when his extension kicks in (and he's presumably entering his prime at age 27). The real concern to me, more so than any salary cap considerations, is the (not insignificant) possibility of things going south this year and/or next due to the seemingly constant injuries, Telesco and Staley getting the boot, and Herbert having to start over under yet another new coaching staff.

Michael

Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

<87ila79nmk.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3203&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3203

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 23:45:55 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 06:45 UTC

phlash74 <phlash74@msn.com> writes:

> As I recall, most of the Chargers' big money contracts at other
> positions come off the books after 2024, so they'll be well positioned
> to rebuild around Herbert when his extension kicks in (and he's
> presumably entering his prime at age 27). The real concern to me, more
> so than any salary cap considerations, is the (not insignificant)
> possibility of things going south this year and/or next due to the
> seemingly constant injuries, Telesco and Staley getting the boot, and
> Herbert having to start over under yet another new coaching staff.
>
> Michael

Whereas the real concern to me is every wasted year until Staley is gone.

Eddie

Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

<69aa5fab-0caf-4a70-84d6-d3c4ce96332dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3204&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3204

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 10:49:13 -0700 (PDT)
$262.5M deal
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 17:49 UTC

On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 11:45:58 PM UTC-7, Eddie Grove wrote:
> phlash74 <phla...@msn.com> writes:
>
> > As I recall, most of the Chargers' big money contracts at other
> > positions come off the books after 2024, so they'll be well positioned
> > to rebuild around Herbert when his extension kicks in (and he's
> > presumably entering his prime at age 27). The real concern to me, more
> > so than any salary cap considerations, is the (not insignificant)
> > possibility of things going south this year and/or next due to the
> > seemingly constant injuries, Telesco and Staley getting the boot, and
> > Herbert having to start over under yet another new coaching staff.
> >
> > Michael
> Whereas the real concern to me is every wasted year until Staley is gone.
>
> Eddie

I can certainly understand that. I absolutely wanted him (and Telesco) gone after the debacle in Jacksonville. And I certainly won't be shocked if things completely fall apart this year, the schedule is pretty rough.

Probably the worst case scenario for this year is 9 or 10 wins, and they either just miss the playoffs on the third tiebreaker or squeak into the 7th seed and lose another tough wild card game, and decide to keep Staley on the basis that he had another "winning season" even though he hasn't shown development as a head coach.

Best case is it turns out Lombardi's offense shackling Herbert (Robin was right on that a year before I came around) was the biggest problem, Moore unleashes him and they unseat the Chiefs atop the division with 12 or 13 wins..

Second best is the injury problems continue, Staley continues to show a complete inability to make in-game defensive adjustments, they lose a bunch of shootouts to finish 7-10 or 6-11 and they get a new head coach - maybe even Moore himself - who actually handles the little details that bridge the narrow gap between victory and defeat in the NFL well.

At least the one thing we can count on is for Dean Spanos to pick the cheapest option possible.

Michael

Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

<kidhp7F4hraU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3206&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3206

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
$262.5M deal
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 17:33:23 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 21:33 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 11:45:58 PM UTC-7, Eddie Grove wrote:
>> phlash74 <phla...@msn.com> writes:
>>
>>> As I recall, most of the Chargers' big money contracts at other
>>> positions come off the books after 2024, so they'll be well positioned
>>> to rebuild around Herbert when his extension kicks in (and he's
>>> presumably entering his prime at age 27). The real concern to me, more
>>> so than any salary cap considerations, is the (not insignificant)
>>> possibility of things going south this year and/or next due to the
>>> seemingly constant injuries, Telesco and Staley getting the boot, and
>>> Herbert having to start over under yet another new coaching staff.
>>>
>>> Michael
>> Whereas the real concern to me is every wasted year until Staley is gone.
>>
>> Eddie
>
> I can certainly understand that. I absolutely wanted him (and Telesco) gone after the debacle in Jacksonville. And I certainly won't be shocked if things completely fall apart this year, the schedule is pretty rough.
>
> Probably the worst case scenario for this year is 9 or 10 wins, and they either just miss the playoffs on the third tiebreaker or squeak into the 7th seed and lose another tough wild card game, and decide to keep Staley on the basis that he had another "winning season" even though he hasn't shown development as a head coach.
>
> Best case is it turns out Lombardi's offense shackling Herbert (Robin was right on that a year before I came around) was the biggest problem, Moore unleashes him and they unseat the Chiefs atop the division with 12 or 13 wins.
>
> Second best is the injury problems continue, Staley continues to show a complete inability to make in-game defensive adjustments, they lose a bunch of shootouts to finish 7-10 or 6-11 and they get a new head coach - maybe even Moore himself - who actually handles the little details that bridge the narrow gap between victory and defeat in the NFL well.
>
> At least the one thing we can count on is for Dean Spanos to pick the cheapest option possible.
>
> Michael

Some cap numbers:

Guilty As Charged Podcast @GACPodcast17

Justin Herbert’s new cap hits according to @danielrpopper

2024 - $19.35 M
2025 - $37.35 M
2026 - $46.35 M
2027 - $58.35 M
2028 - $71.28 M
2029 - $59.5 M

https://twitter.com/GACPodcast17/status/1684189271555715073

Daniel Popper @danielrpopper

• 2023 cap hit unchanged
• #Chargers save more than $10M in cap space in 2024
• Cap hits spike in 2025, but percentage of cap remains reasonable
(projected 13.2% in 2025, 15% in 2026)

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1684177788801286146

--Robin

Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

<87bkfy5o9x.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3208&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3208

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 14:57:46 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 21:57 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> writes:

> Justin Herbert’s new cap hits according to @danielrpopper
>
> 2024 - $19.35 M
> 2025 - $37.35 M
> 2026 - $46.35 M
> 2027 - $58.35 M
> 2028 - $71.28 M
> 2029 - $59.5 M

Those are almost certainly far away from what will happen.
Each year they have the option to convert most of the salary
into a signing bonus, pushing the cap hit down the road.

They can't do much in 2024, but it seems likely they will convert
substantial portions of the salaries from 2025 on into bonuses.
I wonder what the cap hit will really be in 2028.

Teams keep kicking the can down the road. It's collective
incompetence. I wonder when owners will finally realize the foolishness
of what they are doing. Maybe never. So long as GMs are retained or
fired based upon near term performance, it's in their personal interest
to sacrifice significantly improved future performance for minimally
improved current performance.

Aaron Rodgers now has a $107.5M salary for 2024.
Eventually they will have to account for what they owe him.

Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

<87o7jyl2w5.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3209&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3209

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 15:32:58 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 22:32 UTC

phlash74 <phlash74@msn.com> writes:

> On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 11:45:58 PM UTC-7, Eddie Grove wrote:
>> phlash74 <phla...@msn.com> writes:
>>
>> > As I recall, most of the Chargers' big money contracts at other
>> > positions come off the books after 2024, so they'll be well positioned
>> > to rebuild around Herbert when his extension kicks in (and he's
>> > presumably entering his prime at age 27). The real concern to me, more
>> > so than any salary cap considerations, is the (not insignificant)
>> > possibility of things going south this year and/or next due to the
>> > seemingly constant injuries, Telesco and Staley getting the boot, and
>> > Herbert having to start over under yet another new coaching staff.
>> >
>> > Michael
>> Whereas the real concern to me is every wasted year until Staley is gone.
>>
>> Eddie
>
> I can certainly understand that. I absolutely wanted him (and Telesco)
> gone after the debacle in Jacksonville. And I certainly won't be
> shocked if things completely fall apart this year, the schedule is
> pretty rough.

I'd rather have Staley than Mike McCarthy (DAL) or Todd Bowles (TB).

I have little clue about Jonathan Gannon (ARI), Matt Eberflus (CHI),
Dennis Allen (NO), or Robert Saleh (NYJ). If forced to choose with
insufficient info, I'd take Eberflus and Saleh over Staley.
Hmm ... I'm not positive about Bowles. Perhaps I've been brainwashed
by TV pundits and he belongs in this group.

I'd prefer any other current head coach to Staley, and a bunch of
coordinators as well.

How many current head coaches do you think are worse than Staley?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_head_coaches

Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

<87fs59lu1i.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3211&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3211

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 23:58:49 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 06:58 UTC

phlash74 <phlash74@msn.com> writes:

> https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38068747/sources-chargers-qb-justin-herbert-agree-5-year-262m-extension
>
> Sources: Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

In gory detail:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/inside-the-justin-herbert-deal

1. Signing bonus: $16.121 million.

2. 2023 base salary: $1.01 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

3. 2024 option bonus: $50.606 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

4. 2024 base salary: $6 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

5. 2025 option bonus: $45 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

6. 2025 base salary: $15 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

7. 2026 base salary: $24 million, guaranteed for injury at signing and fully guaranteed as of 2025.

8. 2027 base salary: $36 million, guaranteed for injury at signing and fully guaranteed as of 2026.

9. 2028 offseason roster bonus: $5 million.

10. 2028 base salary: $47 million, $25 million of which becomes injury guaranteed as of 2026 and fully guaranteed as of 2027.

11. 2029 offseason roster bonus: $10 million.

12. 2029 base salary: $40.5 million.

The deal also includes $2.5 million in escalators; $1.25 million apply if he wins a conference championship game and the other $1.25 million will be triggered if he wins a Super Bowl.

The contract includes $133.738 million fully guaranteed at signing, and more than $193 million in injury guarantees at signing.

By 2025, more than $157 million will be fully guaranteed. All guarantees vest at least one year before they are paid.

The seven-year deal pays out $296.2 million, an average of $42.3 million per year. The new-money average is $52.5 million, a record.

The contract also includes a no-trade clause.

Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

<4808f9c1-209b-477c-bfe2-50b1d385d5bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3212&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3212

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 08:09:18 -0700 (PDT)
$262.5M deal
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 15:09 UTC

On Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 3:33:02 PM UTC-7, Eddie Grove wrote:
> phlash74 <phla...@msn.com> writes:

> >> Whereas the real concern to me is every wasted year until Staley is gone.
> >>
> >> Eddie
> >
> > I can certainly understand that. I absolutely wanted him (and Telesco)
> > gone after the debacle in Jacksonville. And I certainly won't be
> > shocked if things completely fall apart this year, the schedule is
> > pretty rough.
> I'd rather have Staley than Mike McCarthy (DAL) or Todd Bowles (TB).
>
> I have little clue about Jonathan Gannon (ARI), Matt Eberflus (CHI),
> Dennis Allen (NO), or Robert Saleh (NYJ). If forced to choose with
> insufficient info, I'd take Eberflus and Saleh over Staley.
> Hmm ... I'm not positive about Bowles. Perhaps I've been brainwashed
> by TV pundits and he belongs in this group.
>
> I'd prefer any other current head coach to Staley, and a bunch of
> coordinators as well.
>
> How many current head coaches do you think are worse than Staley?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_head_coaches

Leaving out the three first time head coaches that were hired in the offseason (Gannon, DeMeco Ryans in Houston, and Shane Steichen in Indy), I'd say Staley is better then Allen, Josh McDaniels in Vegas (I'm still stunned he got another job after fucking over Indy), Mike McDaniel in Miami, and it's a tossup with Eberflus, Saleh, or Bowles imo. I also think the jury is out on Matt LaFleur in GB despite his sparkling 47-19 record, we'll see how good he is this year with Jordan Love taking over for Aaron Rodgers.

Just heard Mike Florio get interviewed on Dan Patrick's radio show, Dan asked him how many coaches would get fired in midseason after last year had 3. Florio didn't give a number, but he immediately identified Staley as a potential hot seat candidate, saying the extension to Herbert put even more pressure on him. I seriously doubt Dean would make a midseason move but again if they miss the playoffs I can't see him surviving to next year. Too many good coaches out there who would love to work with Herbert.

Michael

Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

<87a5vh7xyz.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3214&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3214

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 16:09:56 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 23:09 UTC

phlash74 <phlash74@msn.com> writes:

> On Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 3:33:02 PM UTC-7, Eddie Grove wrote:

>> How many current head coaches do you think are worse than Staley?
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_head_coaches
>
> Leaving out the three first time head coaches that were hired in the
> offseason (Gannon, DeMeco Ryans in Houston, and Shane Steichen in

It's embarrassing I missed Ryans and Steichen as first timers.

> Indy), I'd say Staley is better then Allen, Josh McDaniels in Vegas
> (I'm still stunned he got another job after fucking over Indy), Mike
> McDaniel in Miami, and it's a tossup with Eberflus, Saleh, or Bowles
> imo. I also think the jury is out on Matt LaFleur in GB despite his
> sparkling 47-19 record, we'll see how good he is this year with Jordan
> Love taking over for Aaron Rodgers.

What have you got against Mike McDaniel? I don't remember any major
gaffes. He's delusional about Tua, but I believe that was self-imposed
and is part of the job description.

Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

<451f826a-6e98-44b6-afc2-cdc1a0648d0en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3217&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3217

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 13:26:21 -0700 (PDT)
$262.5M deal
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 20:26 UTC

On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 4:10:00 PM UTC-7, Eddie Grove wrote:
> phlash74 <phla...@msn.com> writes:
>
> > On Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 3:33:02 PM UTC-7, Eddie Grove wrote:
>
> >> How many current head coaches do you think are worse than Staley?
> >>
> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_head_coaches
> >
> > Leaving out the three first time head coaches that were hired in the
> > offseason (Gannon, DeMeco Ryans in Houston, and Shane Steichen in
> It's embarrassing I missed Ryans and Steichen as first timers.
> > Indy), I'd say Staley is better then Allen, Josh McDaniels in Vegas
> > (I'm still stunned he got another job after fucking over Indy), Mike
> > McDaniel in Miami, and it's a tossup with Eberflus, Saleh, or Bowles
> > imo. I also think the jury is out on Matt LaFleur in GB despite his
> > sparkling 47-19 record, we'll see how good he is this year with Jordan
> > Love taking over for Aaron Rodgers.
> What have you got against Mike McDaniel? I don't remember any major
> gaffes. He's delusional about Tua, but I believe that was self-imposed
> and is part of the job description.

Him getting Tua almost killed by putting him back in the Buffalo game was a galaxy brain move. Some of his press conference answers that I saw indicated to me he's one of those types who thinks he's a lot smarter than he really is. He's probably a really good offensive coordinator but I get strong Adam Gase vibes from him. I could very easily be wrong.

Michael

Re: ESPN.com (Thiry): Chargers, Justin Herbert agree to 5-year, $262.5M deal

<875y62pj69.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3218&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3218

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
<451f826a-6e98-44b6-afc2-cdc1a0648d0en@googlegroups.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 13:16:46 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 20:16 UTC

phlash74 <phlash74@msn.com> writes:

> On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 4:10:00 PM UTC-7, Eddie Grove wrote:
>> phlash74 <phla...@msn.com> writes:

>> > Leaving out the three first time head coaches that were hired in the
>> > offseason (Gannon, DeMeco Ryans in Houston, and Shane Steichen in
>> It's embarrassing I missed Ryans and Steichen as first timers.
>> > Indy), I'd say Staley is better then Allen, Josh McDaniels in Vegas
>> > (I'm still stunned he got another job after fucking over Indy), Mike
>> > McDaniel in Miami, and it's a tossup with Eberflus, Saleh, or Bowles
>> > imo. I also think the jury is out on Matt LaFleur in GB despite his
>> > sparkling 47-19 record, we'll see how good he is this year with Jordan
>> > Love taking over for Aaron Rodgers.
>> What have you got against Mike McDaniel? I don't remember any major
>> gaffes. He's delusional about Tua, but I believe that was self-imposed
>> and is part of the job description.
>
> Him getting Tua almost killed by putting him back in the Buffalo game
> was a galaxy brain move.

I can see that, but at the time I blamed the doctors. There is a breed
of coaches who truly delegate, and if the neural trauma "expert" tells
you someone is ready to play, what coach with no neural medical
knowledge should overrule? Perhaps I need to rethink this.

Also, remember that the TV audience often has much better views than a
coach on the sideline, who might not even have been looking in the right
direction. I was outraged, but my anger was directed elsewhere.

Thirdly, he never should have been playing in that game. He should have
already been on an extended break. That's on the doctors for sure.