Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 14:07:53 -0800 (PST)
Subject: SFC:_Warriors’_Draymond_Green_embraces_Quin_Snyder
’s_MVP_talk
From: coac...@gmail.com (Donald Lee)
 by: Donald Lee - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 22:07 UTC

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/Warriors-Draymond-Green-embraces-Quin-16746453.php

Green will rejoin the Warriors on Monday night against Miami, after missing two games in the NBA’s health-and-safety protocols. He spoke to the media after Monday’s shootaround, in the wake of Snyder’s comments Saturday night.

“I appreciate him for that,” Green said. “I agree with him. That’s someone who sees the game for what it is. Like he said, I don’t go out and get the numbers, I kind of do it in my own way.

“I’m not going to make my MVP case by stacking up numbers against Steph Curry or Kevin Durant or Giannis (Antetokounmpo), but I think the things I do to impact winning, there’s something to be said for that. So I appreciate it and it really meant a lot. That’s someone I truly respect as a basketball mind.”

Green, at 31, is enjoying a strong season — averaging 8.4 points, 7..9 rebounds and 7.5 assists while shooting 54.7% from the field (which would be a career-high). He’s also playing the kind of ferocious, roam-the-court defense Warriors became accustomed to seeing during the team’s championship run.

That won’t elevate Green into serious MVP contention, no matter what Snyder says, though he’s probably the leading candidate for Defensive Player of the Year.

Green has not played in a game since Dec. 25, sidelined by the coronavirus issues sweeping through the NBA. He was forced to watch from home as his team fell to Denver on Dec. 28 and then beat Utah on Saturday night.

That win invigorated Green.

“It’s really a confidence booster, because you know what you’re capable of,” he said. “Going into another team’s arena and winning, quieting their crowd and putting doubt in their heads, it doesn’t get any better than that. I think that’s what we did the other day, and it’s beautiful.”

Asked about his quarantine experience, Green was characteristically candid.

“It sucked, being locked in and away from everyone,” he said. “I tried to watch a couple of shows and realized I had the attention span of (5-year-old son) DJ. But you get a chance to relax and kind of gather your thoughts. Being alone is not the worst thing; you kind of need that sometimes.”