From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: USA Today: Chargers RB Austin Ekeler: 'We're the only position being
punished for our production'
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:32:47 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.16
 by: Robin Miller - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 03:32 UTC

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2023/07/28/chargers-austin-ekeler-saquon-barkley-running-back-market/

Alex Insdorf
July 28, 2023 5:37 pm PT

Austin Ekeler continued to expand upon his viewpoints and the fight for
the current running back market. First, he was asked about the Zoom
meeting that the top running backs in the league held last Saturday.

“I thought it was important to get together and talk about these
issues,” Ekeler said. “These things aren’t going to change overnight. We
want to put ourselves in positions as a union to protect ourselves as
players.”

Ekeler further detailed the fight against media members using certain
analytical figures to devalue the impact running backs have in the league.

“You can put statistics in one way or another to say someone’s worth
something, or they’re not. These narratives are putting you down for,
‘well can you keep doing it?'”

Ekeler responded to a tweet from Colts owner Jim Irsay referencing the
current CBA. There was some acknowledgment from Ekeler back that Irsay
was right about the everyday use of the franchise tag having been agreed
to back in 2020.

However, Ekeler said that the running backs must stay united in their
messaging against such devices being used by executives and owners.

Using Giants’ Saquon Barkley as an example, Ekeler tried to demonstrate
the unmeritocratic nature of the current market. “If Saquon Barkley runs
for 3000 yards, ‘alright, we’re gonna franchise tag him again.'”

The quote that perfectly summarized Ekeler’s viewpoints in the presser
was when he said running backs are “punished for their production.”

“You have that success, and then you get put into a situation where
these narratives are putting you down as far as ‘Well, can you keep
doing it?’ We’re the only position right now that seems to be getting
punished for our production. It frustrates us.”

It should be noted that Ekeler sees his fight for the running back
market and his relationship with the Chargers as two different entities.
Ekeler stated his appreciation for the organization and referenced how
they met him in the middle with incentives earlier this offseason.

In talking about the actual offense, he seemed visibly excited when
answering questions about Kellen Moore. Ekeler cited good energy at camp
practices that is “meshing” together Moore’s offense.

Re: USA Today: Chargers RB Austin Ekeler: 'We're the only position being punished for our production'

<93b5510a-de0c-4e27-97b8-e7ba899249c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3222&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3222

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 15:16:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: USA Today: Chargers RB Austin Ekeler: 'We're the only position
being punished for our production'
From: reneg1...@gmail.com (ReneG)
 by: ReneG - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 22:16 UTC

Unfortunately he plays a position that can be easier replaced than most others. Ekeler is an average rusher, he is top tier catching the ball. Does he have those numbers because the offense was a dink and dunk or was the offense dink and dunk because of Ekeler? I expect his numbers to go down significantly due to the new offense.

Re: USA Today: Chargers RB Austin Ekeler: 'We're the only position being punished for our production'

<kisrtiFk0psU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3230&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3230

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
being punished for our production'
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 12:58:23 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 16:58 UTC

ReneG wrote:
> Unfortunately he plays a position that can be easier replaced than most others. Ekeler is an average rusher, he is top tier catching the ball. Does he have those numbers because the offense was a dink and dunk or was the offense dink and dunk because of Ekeler? I expect his numbers to go down significantly due to the new offense.

That's an interesting question, what the effect of the new offense will
be on Ekeler's production.

--Robin

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: USA Today: Chargers RB Austin Ekeler: 'We're the only position being punished for our production'