From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Webeck:_Warriors’_roster_move_clears_way_for_ne
w_two-way_player
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 17:17:47 -0800
 by: Allen - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 01:17 UTC

Warriors’ roster move clears way for new two-way player
Golden State announced that it waived Jeff Dowtin, who appeared in 4
games and averaged 1.5 points and 1.8 rebounds in 6.9 minutes
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – DECEMBER 6: Golden State Warriors’ Jeff
Dowtin (21) scores a basket against the Orlando Magic in the fourth
quarter at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, Dec. 6,
2021. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – DECEMBER 6: Golden State Warriors’ Jeff
Dowtin (21) scores a basket against the Orlando Magic in the fourth
quarter at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, Dec. 6,
2021. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By EVAN WEBECK | ewebeck@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: January 2, 2022 at 10:31 a.m. | UPDATED: January 3, 2022 at
3:48 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/01/02/warriors-roster-move-clears-way-for-new-two-way-player/

The Golden State Warriors waived Jeff Dowtin, the team announced Sunday,
clearing the way for new player in their second two-way roster spot.

Despite the Warriors missing various players in health and safety
protocols, Dowtin hasn’t played since the Warriors’ shorthanded loss at
Toronto on Dec. 18 and appeared in only four games, averaging 1.5 points
and 1.8 rebounds in 6.9 minutes. Although the Warriors did not announce
a corresponding move, the 10-day contract of Quinndary Weatherspoon, who
was added under a hardship exception, was also set to expire on Sunday.

Dowtin, 24, joined the Warriors on Oct. 18 after the team picked him up
on waivers from Orlando. He signed a two-way contract but has spent the
majority of his time with the organization playing for its G League
affiliate in Santa Cruz, where he averaged 17.7 points, 6.2 rebounds and
5.8 assists in 12 games.

When the Warriors only suited up nine players in Toronto, Dowtin saw the
most minutes of his Golden State tenure (18), registering a plus-7 in a
loss (2 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists), but that was his last game
action. As the Warriors have weathered more COVID disruptions over the
past five games, they’ve turned for emergency minutes to their other
two-way player (Chris Chiozza) and another called up from the G League
(Weatherspoon).

The two-way slot vacated by Dowtin has only grown in importance with the
recent roster upheaval caused by COVID-19 outbreaks.

Every team in the NBA is permitted two players on “two-way” deals that
pay them half the minimum rookie salary and allow for them to play in up
to 50 games. However, because of the rise in COVID cases, the NBA
reportedly relaxed that rule for the remainder of the season so teams
can maintain roster flexibility.

Chiozza, who has been active for most of Golden State’s games and
appeared in 17 of them, takes up the first slot. The waiving of Dowtin,
who only saw action in four games, clears the way for another player to
take over the second slot.

It may not be a coincidence that the roster move came with
Weatherspoon’s 10-day contract set to come to an end.

>RELATED ARTICLES
The Warriors just did something no team has accomplished in 27 years
Off night from Steph Curry? Back at full strength, Warriors don’t mind
Warriors’ postponed game vs. Nuggets gets new date
Draymond Green reflects on time in protocols: ‘It sucked … I need to
work on my attention span’
Warriors fill two-way slot with new but familiar face

The 25-year-old guard only appeared in one game, but he impressed with
stingy defense in his Christmas Day debut, helping the Warriors beat the
Suns while missing two members of their starting five. He took on Devin
Booker and Chris Paul and also contributed six points.

“He made his presence felt. That’s 14 really good minutes, coming out of
the G League straight into a Christmas Day game against the Suns,”
Stephen Curry said afterward. “Defensively, he made some amazing plays.
… Drove to the basket a couple times. Got to his spots and finished. …
That’s a big spot that he showed what he’s about.”

Prior to that, Weatherspoon gained a reputation for his defense in Santa
Cruz by guarding Klay Thompson during the star’s rehab assignments.
Although Weatherspoon stands only 6-foot-3, he boasts a wingspan of
6-foot-9. In nine games with Santa Cruz, he averaged 16.1 points in 27.4
minutes. He joined the organization this offseason after spending his
first two seasons with San Antonio, where he appeared in 31 games (6.4
minutes, 1.9 points).

“I knew about him just because of his presence in Santa Cruz and I
watched him guarding Klay in scrimmages,” Kerr said after the Phoenix
win. “It’s one of the reasons why we felt really comfortable playing him
— because of his defensive ability.”

--
Evan Webeck | Reporter
Evan Webeck covers high-school sports on the field and beyond — and a